The Student Room Group

Studying for AS

Hey. I recently began sixth form and opted to do 4 As subjects - Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Mathematics. I don't want to drop any of my subjects but I have been finding Chemistry and Physics rather difficult. For those who been through this process, what study tips and resources can you advise me so I can ace my exams next year.
(Btw I'm writing under the examination board, Cambridge International Examinations)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Thanks
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 3
I'm in year 13 studying chemistry and maths (and I did physics for a month but I didn't particularly like it), and although I don't do the same exam board as you I'll tell you what has worked for me.

Maths is just a case of keeping on top of what you're learning and doing a lot of practice questions. It sounds like you're not finding it too bad at the minute, but make sure that as soon as you don't understand something you stop and work it out. Ask your teacher, read the textbook, watch a YouTube video on it. The way A levels are going now, questions are getting less and less structured and signposted, so you really do need to be confident using every piece of maths along the way.

Chemistry at A level was confusing at first, as the GCSEs for my year were so very simplified (they may not have been quite so bad for your yeargroup). It clicked for me at about this time of the year, and it may do so for you too. Once you get your head around the concepts, it gets easier, so again utilise your teachers and any clinics your school offers to try and properly understand. Practise the calculation type questions to get used to them (there are only so many different types of questions they can ask), make flashcards to memorise the more factual recall sections, and when you get onto organic chemistry and mechanisms (which I assume are in your course), draw them out until you could do it in your sleep!

I also find with chemistry that the mix of practical work, notes, past paper questions and general summary tasks we do in lessons confuses me, so after each topic is done, I make a summary sheet based off all my resources and the specification. This way I know I have everything my spec. requires (and I don't have to lug around 6000 sheets of paper). A similar approach may work to help you get your head around physics and to keep on top of biology, where I'm aware there is a lot of content.

Good luck!
thank you for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest