The Student Room Group

I feel a bit stuck in my relationship

Hello all,

I’m basically asking for some advice. My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 months now, which I know isn’t long. He has pretty much always called me boring, for the fact that on some days I just don’t feel like talking much, or if he’s trying to be dirty while I’m out shopping or even in meetings I sort of just shut him down a little by saying not now. I hear the words “oh you’re boring” almost every day and it’s starting to hurt. I don’t know if this is just me being sensitive though, especially as my last relationship was abusive and totally destroyed me as a person.

Also, a few nights ago my boyfriend and I were talking about kids. Yes, I know it’s very early but it led on from another conversation about our views on adoption and we were talking about the future. He asked me “What would you do if I said I don’t want kids?” Now having kids is like a dream to me, my brother is Autistic and so there is a high chance he won’t be having children. My Mum and Dad have both passed away and so having children would be an incredible and wonderful thing for both myself, hopefully my partner, and continuing my family. So, with all that in mind I replied, “well, I’d have to think which means more to me, this relationship, or the dream of me wanting children”. I thought this was an okay answer as it didn’t really say which one I’d choose. However he became very agitated and annoyed over my reply, and over his assumption that I would break up with him. (Baring in mind I have taken a gap year to spend more time with him (and to work to get money) and I had moved away from home because he hated long distance). Anyway, carrying on, through his agitation and annoyance he said to me, “well with the amount of problems you’ve got you shouldn’t be having kids anyway.”
This broke me. This broke me in two. I have a few physical health conditions including a degenerative disc disease, and pressure/fluid in my brain. I also have depression and anxiety and I’m diagnosed with BPD (after trauma from abuse throughout my childhood).
Hearing him say these things was too much for me. I wanted to break up but I felt that this may have been me over reacting to what he calls a small comment.

I know I’m pretty much writing my life story here, and I’m sorry for rambling on. I guess the question I’m really asking is,

if you were in my situation, what would you personally do?

Sorry again for the massive post!! And thank you <3

~Refeneg
I'd definitely break up with him, no doubt about it. Calling someone boring everyday is incredibly rude, and surely if he genuinely thinks that, why would he be with you? You don't sound like a particularly good match tbh; maybe you could ask him about taking a break to see if you feel better without him, but if it were me I'd just cut him loose. He doesn't sound good for you or your mental health, so I think you should take time off to focus on yourself for a while.
Good luck!
Take a breather and then when you're relax think about what would be best for you.

Given what you've told us, I'd say he's a rude sh1t.
Break up with him he sounds like a ****. The children thing is a bit weird expecially since youre presumably not even that old yetif youre having a gap year. Its perfectly understandable and not boring to not want do dirty stuff in public. I would talk to him about it and depending on his reaction break up with him.
Reply 4
He is a bit of a ***** anyway. Like I’ve noticed our views are completely opposite. I hate the way he talks to me, like I’m on the phone at the moment and I said “give me a second I’m replying to something” and he just said “wow just leave me then *****.” It’s the little comments like that that make me feel rubbish. Thank you for you advice though, I really appreciate it! I’m going to have to think of a way to say I need a break.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending