English literature without A level?

Watch
username3121088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How difficult is it to study degree level English Literature without having studied A levels? What kind of things would've been missed, or what they might be lacking having not studied it previously?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KoreVictoire)
How difficult is it to study degree level English Literature without having studied A levels? What kind of things would've been missed, or what they might be lacking having not studied it previously?
If it's an entry requirement you wouldn't be able to get on the course. If not you will be fine.
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you will have missed a lot if you haven't studied at A level - or read widely, independently.

Specifically, having the ability to critique different genres of literature, and understanding basic literary terminology (e.g. metafiction, the self-referential, intertextuality etc). Having a sense of period, and a wider understanding of whether the text is typical to the period/genre is also important. Knowing the mechanics of a text is also important in deconstructing it. And being able to compare different texts -a cross genres, is also a skill you learn at A level.
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you will have missed a lot if you haven't studied at A level - or read widely, independently.

Specifically, having the ability to critique different genres of literature, and understanding basic literary terminology (e.g. metafiction, the self-referential, intertextuality etc). Having a sense of period, and a wider understanding of whether the text is typical to the period/genre is also important. Knowing the mechanics of a text is also important in deconstructing it. And being able to compare different texts -a cross genres, is also a skill you learn at A level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (57)
39.58%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
16.67%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (15)
10.42%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
10.42%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (13)
9.03%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
9.72%

Watched Threads