The Student Room Group

Should I Accept My Unconditional?

I’ve tried to post this thread before but it was never seen by moderators. However my circumstances have changed since then.

I sent my UCAS application off for Bsc Economics to Essex, UEA, UCL, LSE, and St Andrews. I thought I had been predicted AAA for Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science. But it turns out I’m predicted A*AA with the higher grade being in Maths.

So far I have only had one offer, and that is from UEA. I have a conditional offer for ABB, or as my firm choice they become uncondtional.

St Andrews isn’t a realistic option. My initial thoughts were to go to Essex, as while not the strongest uni, the seem to have a respected Economics department alongside Government. Crucially, they are close enough for me to live at home; the added benefit being I can live comfortably with my family and girlfriend and not have any student loans, as well as recieving a small bursary of £1000.

However, I added LSE and UCL with the intention to choose one of these universities, unless Essex gave me an uncondtional offer.

But now that UEA has given me an uncondtional, I was wondering if I could possibly barter with Essex in the event they only give me a conditional? UEA is universally in a higher ranking on leaderboards, so if I were to be offered a conditional offer, do you suppose I could use this to negotiate with them as I’d rather go to Essex than UEA.

Even if I were to be accepted into a London uni, which I doubt as my subjects aren’t very varied as they lack an essay based subject, I have little interest anymore as I see that it isn’t crucial to go there to get the sort of job I would like in future (although of course it would surely make it easier to do so). So would you say UEA would just be better overall? It seems to me they aren’t that much better than Essex to persuade me to leave home in order to go there.
Original post by ljmwuk

Spoiler

Essex gave me a 'flexible offer' so I was predicted BB and they were going to offer me CC if I firmed so it's possible you may receive a lower offer or an unconditional but it depends really. I'd wait till they offer you something and don't jump for the unconditional too easily.
Original post by ljmwuk
I’ve tried to post this thread before but it was never seen by moderators. However my circumstances have changed since then.

I sent my UCAS application off for Bsc Economics to Essex, UEA, UCL, LSE, and St Andrews. I thought I had been predicted AAA for Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science. But it turns out I’m predicted A*AA with the higher grade being in Maths.

So far I have only had one offer, and that is from UEA. I have a conditional offer for ABB, or as my firm choice they become uncondtional.

St Andrews isn’t a realistic option. My initial thoughts were to go to Essex, as while not the strongest uni, the seem to have a respected Economics department alongside Government. Crucially, they are close enough for me to live at home; the added benefit being I can live comfortably with my family and girlfriend and not have any student loans, as well as recieving a small bursary of £1000.

However, I added LSE and UCL with the intention to choose one of these universities, unless Essex gave me an uncondtional offer.

But now that UEA has given me an uncondtional, I was wondering if I could possibly barter with Essex in the event they only give me a conditional? UEA is universally in a higher ranking on leaderboards, so if I were to be offered a conditional offer, do you suppose I could use this to negotiate with them as I’d rather go to Essex than UEA.

Even if I were to be accepted into a London uni, which I doubt as my subjects aren’t very varied as they lack an essay based subject, I have little interest anymore as I see that it isn’t crucial to go there to get the sort of job I would like in future (although of course it would surely make it easier to do so). So would you say UEA would just be better overall? It seems to me they aren’t that much better than Essex to persuade me to leave home in order to go there.

Maybe wait until you have all offers and been to the open days. No point accepting if you have an unconditional but plenty of time to accept.

OP you should wait and try and get into the uni that is top of your list or the best uni you can. Make an informed choice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe wait until you have all offers and been to the open days. No point accepting if you have an unconditional but plenty of time to accept.

Unless they are thinking of withdrawing from all the others in order to accept UEA as thrir firm choice, they don't have any option but to wait, anyway.
Original post by ljmwuk

Why isn't St Andrews realistic?

I highly recommend that you wait for all your choices to give you their decision, and don't be so keen on an unconditional offer. It appears that many regret accepting offers too early, which often happens because of a fixation on unconditional ones.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RogerOxon
Why isn't St Andrews realistic?

I highly recommend that you wait for all your choices to give you their decision, and don't be so keen on an unconditional offer. It appears that many regret accepting offers too early, which often happens because of a fixation on unconditional ones.

I’m simply not willing to go somewhere so isolated on my own for 4 years. The cost of going there doesn’t outweigh the benefits for me. London however is a harder choice. I want to either work in Investment Banking, or do Accoutancy in some form with one of the Big 4. Both of these seem to be job prospects coming from Essex (not so much IB but I’m not sure if the lack of job security and supposed work hours are worth the high salaries).
Original post by Isinglass
Unless they are thinking of withdrawing from all the others in order to accept UEA as thrir firm choice, they don't have any option but to wait, anyway.

I believe thats what would happen on accepting an unconditional then all others are rejected by default.
https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/replying-offers-%E2%80%93-your-questions-answered

1. I’m in Track but I don’t have an option to reply to my offers. What’s going on?

This is usually because you haven’t had a decision from all of your choices yet. However, if you’re ready to reply and don’t want to wait for the other choices to make a decision, you can choose to cancel them. To do this, click on 'view' for each outstanding choice and then you’ll have the option to 'permanently withdraw from this choice.' Once you’ve done this, the ‘reply to offers’ button will be available in the ‘Your choices’ section of Track.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending