username2899906
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is the difference between the student book and the revision guide?
username2899906
Rep:
?
The only thing I know is that the student book is more expensive. What extra things does it include?
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe student books have a lot more practice questions and can go into more detail than revision guides. Revision guides, on the other hand, get straight to the point - clearer and more concise but have less practice.
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay so the revision guide is for revision. The revision guide is essentially all the material condensed into a relatively short book. However the student book is essentially a text book which actually properly explains the concepts, the student book is better for learning the content for the first time and should accompany you through the course. The revision guide is for at the end when you've already learnt everything and you need to go over it quickly.
In short - the student book explains it more whereas the revision guide assumes you already kind of know it
username2899906
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
Okay so the revision guide is for revision. The revision guide is essentially all the material condensed into a relatively short book. However the student book is essentially a text book which actually properly explains the concepts, the student book is better for learning the content for the first time and should accompany you through the course. The revision guide is for at the end when you've already learnt everything and you need to go over it quickly.
In short - the student book explains it more whereas the revision guide assumes you already kind of know it
So would the student book be better at the moment as I'm in Year 12?
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldfish4343)
Personal preference really. If it takes you a while to pick up new content, go with the student book, otherwise take the revision guide.
luji
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you self study?
username2899906
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guarddyyy)
Personal preference really. If it takes you a while to pick up new content, go with the student book, otherwise take the revision guide.
It takes me a while to understand things but once I've got it I'm normally fine.

I also feel like the student one would be better as the notes we get from one of our teachers are fairly basic and I would prefer more details versions.

(Original post by ab173)
Do you self study?
Nope.
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It takes me a while to understand things but once I've got it I'm normally fine.

I also feel like the student one would be better as the notes we get from one of our teachers are fairly basic and I would prefer more details versions.

Nope.
If normally you understand it you get it, I would suggest a revision guide. You would 99.99% learn all the content in the revision guide and student books anyway, but the student book is if you want more practice.
username2899906
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guarddyyy)
If normally you understand it you get it, I would suggest a revision guide. You would 99.99% learn all the content in the revision guide and student books anyway, but the student book is if you want more practice.
I want more practice, so probably the student book. More practice generally helps me get more confident, which always helps.

So student book I guess!
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
probably
luji
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Nope.
I would recommend the revision one, I just opened mine it's not too simple nor too detailed the other one is hugeee(For me)

Having a very detailed book isn't ideal for me as if I know something I'll just skip the whole paragraph and stuff. Since you don't need to self-teach as well you shouldn't have an issue with a not so detailed book.

It's also ideal if you have a test or something just to revise (Like the name suggests)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (362)
66.91%
No (179)
33.09%

Watched Threads