2019 University of Amsterdam applicants thread Watch

Breward
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I applied for BSc Political Science yesterday and received an offer today.

They have given me 2 weeks to accept or decline the offer. This can't be right can it as I am still waiting for UCAS offers?

Has anyone else applied? I also have an offer for IRO at Leiden.
international3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Breward)
I applied for BSc Political Science yesterday and received an offer today.

They have given me 2 weeks to accept or decline the offer. This can't be right can it as I am still waiting for UCAS offers?

Has anyone else applied? I also have an offer for IRO at Leiden.
I also got accepted to the Political Science programme two days after applying, yes I agree it’s very quick but from what I understand it’s a very simple selection process. Are you planning on accepting your offer?
Breward
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
No, Leiden will be my first choice. I have not heard about the selection tests yet though.

I have visited both unis and a friend of mine is at UvA doing Political Science in Year 1. She is really enjoying the city.
fionastudiess
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am pretty confused about the applications for the Uni of Amsterdam. I applied for Political Science and there's no essay or fee, right? It is really different compared to the UCAS application, especially when there's studielink involved.

Breward, was it easy for your friend to integrate within the local society?
international3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No essay or fee for UVA I agree is very simple compare to most Unis . They take the rule in the Netherlands of “everyone having a right to an education” to the extreme. But from what I understand it’s due to the fact that a lot of people are cut down after year 1 due to failure rates
irish3202
Badges: 6
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone heard anything about Matching? I got an offer in December for Bsc Econometrics, but I haven't heard anything from UvA at all since the offer email.
Still not quite sure what to expect, is it just doing online courses and a final test or something? I can't find any decent information on the website, it all seems quite vague.

Also, does anyone know how the UvA housing works? I know they don't really have official accommodation but they reserve some with housing corporations for internationals. They put strong emphasis on how difficult it is to get housing at the Open Day, so I'm not sure if I should start looking for private accommodation now if UvA don't offer much in terms of housing.
Breward
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Political Science here. I got matching information about 2 weeks ago by email.

"Dear (prospective) students,

The online matching procedure for your application to the University of Amsterdam's BSc in Political Science is now available. You may now start the process by logging into Canvas and opening the course. Bear in mind that we require you to complete the procedure within one week. This weeks start counting from the moment you opened the first literature available on the Canvas page...

Matching (or Programme Fit) is a mandatory part of the application procedure for all prospective
Bachelor’s students in the Netherlands. The Matching procedure will help you determine whether the BSc in Political Science fits your expectations, interests and skills.The Matching is an individual study experience, consisting of a combination of study activities that will give you an idea of what to expect from the Bachelor’s programme. You will be required to watch a web lecture on a specific Political Science theme and study assigned literature. These efforts will help you prepare for a digital exam, consisting of a combination of multiple choice and essay questions. The Matching procedure
should take you between one and two days to complete. Upon completion of the digital exam, you will
receive a personal Matching advice within two weeks.

Please note that you must complete the Matching procedure and obtain a Matching advice to enrol in the
Bachelor’s programme. A Matching advice can be either positive or negative. Keep in mind that a positive or negative Matching advice does not override the admission decision. In other words, with a negative Matching advice, you are still allowed to start the Bachelor’s programme if you have been officially admitted to the programme. But you are not allowed to start the Bachelor’s programme if it has been decided that you cannot be admitted to the programme, and you have a positive Matching advice.
We strongly recommend you to reconsider your choice for this programme carefully in case of a negative
Matching advice. The results you obtained may be predictive for your subsequent study success in this
program."

Matching has to be completed by 14th June. As this is my 2nd choice, I will wait till I hear back from Leiden (April 15th) before doing Matching for UvA.

Hope this helps. Good luck with Econmetrics.
irish3202
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Breward)
Political Science here. I got matching information about 2 weeks ago by email.

"Dear (prospective) students,

The online matching procedure for your application to the University of Amsterdam's BSc in Political Science is now available. You may now start the process by logging into Canvas and opening the course. Bear in mind that we require you to complete the procedure within one week. This weeks start counting from the moment you opened the first literature available on the Canvas page...

Matching (or Programme Fit) is a mandatory part of the application procedure for all prospective
Bachelor’s students in the Netherlands. The Matching procedure will help you determine whether the BSc in Political Science fits your expectations, interests and skills.The Matching is an individual study experience, consisting of a combination of study activities that will give you an idea of what to expect from the Bachelor’s programme. You will be required to watch a web lecture on a specific Political Science theme and study assigned literature. These efforts will help you prepare for a digital exam, consisting of a combination of multiple choice and essay questions. The Matching procedure
should take you between one and two days to complete. Upon completion of the digital exam, you will
receive a personal Matching advice within two weeks.

Please note that you must complete the Matching procedure and obtain a Matching advice to enrol in the
Bachelor’s programme. A Matching advice can be either positive or negative. Keep in mind that a positive or negative Matching advice does not override the admission decision. In other words, with a negative Matching advice, you are still allowed to start the Bachelor’s programme if you have been officially admitted to the programme. But you are not allowed to start the Bachelor’s programme if it has been decided that you cannot be admitted to the programme, and you have a positive Matching advice.
We strongly recommend you to reconsider your choice for this programme carefully in case of a negative
Matching advice. The results you obtained may be predictive for your subsequent study success in this
program."

Matching has to be completed by 14th June. As this is my 2nd choice, I will wait till I hear back from Leiden (April 15th) before doing Matching for UvA.

Hope this helps. Good luck with Econmetrics.
Thank you very much! I thought there would have been a lot more lectures to be watched, but it looks like there's only one for Political Science - hopefully there won't be too many for econometrics either.
Best of luck to you too!
katiec2210
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Another PoliSci here! I’ve only just submitted my application as I was originally waiting to hear re: Brexit (if I can’t qualify for Dutch student loans there’s no way in hell I can afford it) but got too impatient. I’ve been looking at accommodation already, I think as international students there’s a priority factor but it’s worth knowing exactly what needs doing so you can submit it as soon as possible!
Annguun
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey guys!
Do you guys think I could still apply for political science at UVA?
I thought the deadline was Jan 15th..
supadupahumble
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Has anyone else got an offer for economics and business economics? Can we make a messenger group for all prospective students!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.04%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.13%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.74%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (28)
12.17%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30%

Watched Threads