Turn on thread page Beta

Need an opening for personal statement!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone think of a catchy sentence i can start my personal statement with? Im applying for psychology, any help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I can't really think of anything atm but I have to stress that if you do get a useful reply, DO NOT use it word for word, it'll get picked up by the plagiarism detectors and your application may be rejected
    Maybe start with something recent that you did like a project that inspired you to study psych further?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Simply start the first paragraph with why you want to study it, and what attracted you to the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambiplasma)
    I can't really think of anything atm but I have to stress that if you do get a useful reply, DO NOT use it word for word, it'll get picked up by the plagiarism detectors and your application may be rejected
    Maybe start with something recent that you did like a project that inspired you to study psych further?
    I definitely was not planning on copying word for word anyway, just need something to get me thinking

ReputationRep:
    Are there any punchy real world situations which you’ve encountered that have kick started your interest in your subject?

Is there a unique experience you’ve had that made you think you want to take your subject further?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timif2)
    Are there any punchy real world situations which you’ve encountered that have kick started your interest in your subject?

Is there a unique experience you’ve had that made you think you want to take your subject further?
    i was going to take part in a neuroscience study but sadly couldnt, and ive done work experience in a care home these are all i can think of which might sound relevant, maybe come uo with something so i can rephrase it?

ReputationRep:
    sausages
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Talk about why you are interested in the subject (e.g. what areas)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teeee0)
    Can anyone think of a catchy sentence i can start my personal statement with? Im applying for psychology, any help appreciated
    Mine was something along the lines of: I first developed an interest in studying this subject further when I read this book or had this experience. Worded a bit better but can't remember all the detsils. Not the most catchy, but you want to show your interest in the subject and prove you'll be able to commit to a 3 or 4 year course. I'm sure you know that and just need help to start. So maybe try and keep it straightforward. Or start with an article you read, or a book that developed your interest. Not into psychology myself but hope I helped.
    Also, have really good GCSE grades and expected A Level results.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by teeee0)

Hi,

Wrexham Glyndwr University have a blog you may be interested in reading:

https://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Howtoap...onalstatement/

It gives you hints and tips of what to include and what to avoid. Hopefully this will be useful for you :-)

Katie

ReputationRep:
    I began mine with "Without psychology, we would be unable to... etc etc" I tried to think of the role in which psychology plays and the importance of it and working this into my reasoning for why I want to study it, rather than explicitly stating why I have an interest and essentially saying "I have an interest in psychology because etc", if that even makes sense hahha that might help to get you thinking?

Where are you thinking of applying?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2018

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.