Turn on thread page Beta

Man says that knife crime culprits are a 'cancer' and should be 'exterminated' watch

ReputationRep:
    An audience member on BBC Question Time shocked viewers on Thursday evening by suggesting that perpetrators of knife crime should be "exterminated".

In a discussion about knife crime on the panel show, which was being held in Dulwich, South London, the man began by stating that serious crimes, like stabbings, should be more severely punished. His initial take on the subject gained a small smattering of applause.

He said: I think it is really disappointing that we are having another hand-ringing debate without a single mention of the concept of punishment. I know I'm probably being very old-fashioned but punishment does actually work.

Even in Glasgow, it worked. In Glasgow, they tripled the average sentence for going around with a knife from four months to 13 months.

Imagine how quickly we could turn things around if instead of thirteen months it was fifteen years?

This prompted a strong level of support from members of the audience, but the man managed to undo all of that as he continued his speech.

He added that those that have stabbed someone else are a "cancer" and that they should be "exterminated." Don't forget it is a particular breed of human being who can repeatedly put a knife into another person and those people should be dealt with like the cancer they are and they should be exterminated.

Rather than applause, the man's statement was greeted with a stunned silence and a few gasps of "wow!" with others asking "what breed is that?"

Although the panel did respond to his comments, they didn't address the call for "extermination".

This was picked up on Twitter, though where people were appalled comparing the statement to fascism and asking why education wasn't a suitable way of dealing with the crime.

Read more here and tell us what you think. Should knife crime culprits be 'exterminated' or is this just way to harsh of a statement? What do you think is the solution?

ReputationRep:
    "Education" lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spirithorse)
    Should knife crime culprits be 'exterminated' or is this just way to harsh of a statement? What do you think is the solution?
    It is time that puritanical regressive 'liberals' learned to recognise hyperbole when they hear it, and to realise that members of the public appearing on television in front of a large audience in the studio are not necessarily entirely in command of what they say.

ReputationRep:
    And who will provide this education? Doesn’t take a genius to work out stabbing somebody is wrong.

Exterminate was going too far however, but throwing around the word facist doesn't do any favours.

ReputationRep:
    See I have a hunch that those that clamour for extermination and 'totrture is too good for them' are the first ones you actually need to take out.

ReputationRep:
    Poor choice of word, he almost certainly didn't mean it though.

ReputationRep:
    Parents need to step the fucc up

ReputationRep:
    knife stabbing has been correlated with cancer

so they'll get exterminated by themselves

ReputationRep:
    Didnt see the program but wholeheartedly agree with everything he said .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zasty)
    what parents

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean I have to go into hiding like people in nazi germany for having an outdoors knife like bear grylls when I go for country walks?

ReputationRep:
    If only QT was always this entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    Education my ass, any human with a decent number of brain cells knows that stabbing someone is wrong. Maybe exterminating them was a little too far but harsh punishments should certainly be in place, not ****ing 6 months in jail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zasty)
    You do know that young offenders parents were most likely in be involved in knife crime at the same age. Most young offenders parents have also be in prison or the young offender was raised in the care system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looloo2134)
    You do know that young offenders parents were most likely in be involved in knife crime at the same age. Most young offenders parents have also be in prison or the young offender was raised in the care system
    This further proves my point that parents are to blame

(Original post by JohanGRK)
    what parents
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    He added that those that have stabbed someone else are a "cancer" and that they should be "exterminated." Don't forget it is a particular breed of human being who can repeatedly put a knife into another person and those people should be dealt with like the cancer they are and they should be exterminated.

Rather than applause, the man's statement was greeted with a stunned silence and a few gasps of "wow!" with others asking "what breed is that?"

Although the panel did respond to his comments, they didn't address the call for "extermination".

This was picked up on Twitter, though where people were appalled comparing the statement to fascism and asking why education wasn't a suitable way of dealing with the crime.

Read more here and tell us what you think. Should knife crime culprits be 'exterminated' or is this just way to harsh of a statement? What do you think is the solution?
    I don’t see the issue of calling it a “cancer”, that they should be “exterminated” or that it’s a particular “breed” of humans that carry this out.

I didn’t watch the show, but I can probably guess that the guy isn’t particularly well-educated - not that there’s anything wrong with that, but that might explain his choice of words.

He’s right to say it’s a cancer - an epidemic.

He’s also right that we should “exterminate” them - again, this was probably the wrong word to use.

Furthermore, what exactly is wrong with him saying that a “breed” of humans are the main culprits?

Time and time again, for the most part, stabbing occur within the black and Arab communities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    And who will provide this education? Doesn’t take a genius to work out stabbing somebody is wrong.

Exterminate was going too far however, but throwing around the word facist doesn't do any favours.
    It’s the quickest way to shut down an argument. It’s lost its meaning, to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occitanie)
    You should watch it, Kwasi Kwarteng manages to make Diane Abbott look relatively intelligent.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    He said: I think it is really disappointing that we are having another hand-ringing debate without a single mention of the concept of punishment. I know I'm probably being very old-fashioned but punishment does actually work.
    hand-ringing.... no doubt a ding dong battle of ideas ?

:holmes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Support for the death penalty in the UK amongst the general population is still quite high I believe. The man used language more extreme than a lot of people were expecting or are used to, but his point, that people who commit murder (using knives) should be put to death, isn't that uncommon. I don't agree with that view, at all, but when I was listening it was quite clear to me that he has strong views on the subject and got carried away with himself at the end of his speech. I am quite surprised this is newsworthy.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.