Can i study fine art at uni with a graphics L3

Watch this thread
eden2911
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When i first started i was told that graphic design is a good way to make money but be able to do art. however as the year went on i realized i can still do fine art and be able to live. Do you think if i build my portfolio with all my own work that university will accept me to do fine art. what can i do ??
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hiya Eden2311,

In short, yes, it is definitely possible to be accepted onto a Fine Art course. A lot of art-based universities rely heavily on the work they see in your portfolio rather than your qualifications like 'traditional' degrees.

Our BA(Hons) Fine Art course requires a portfolio and a minimum of 96 UCAS points (earned through A-levels, BTEC National Diploma, or Foundation Diploma etc). However, we also welcome applications from students who do not have formal qualifications but can provide evidence of their creativity, skills and experience.

You could consider doing a Pre-Degree course such as a Foundation Diploma or an Extended Diploma, both of which we also offer here at Plymouth College of Art and these are accredited by UAL.

Another option we offer is Extended Degree courses, which allow you to apply for a Degree course that has a built-in Foundation course to help you build the skills, knowledge and confidence to onto the Degree. You would be in a class of other students studying on the Extended Degree courses, but there is a mix of disciplines which will allow you to expand your general artistic knowledge as well as get you ready for the transition to the Degree course.

If you'd like any more information about the courses, the uni, the area or how to apply, feel free to ask me or contact our admissions team on [email protected] or 01752 203434.

Hope this helps!
Harriet
Second Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
belinda.ayres
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by eden2911)
When i first started i was told that graphic design is a good way to make money but be able to do art. however as the year went on i realized i can still do fine art and be able to live. Do you think if i build my portfolio with all my own work that university will accept me to do fine art. what can i do ??
Hey!

Similarly to what Harriet from Plymouth College of Art has already said, there is a strong possibility for you to be accepted onto our BA (Hons) Fine Art course.

You will need a minimum 112 UCAS points from any combination of A Levels/ Extended Diploma/ Foundation Diploma. One qualification should be in a relevant subject A portfolio of relevant practical work, demonstrating your ability and enthusiasm for the course you’re applying for. For more information for our entry requirements please click here.

Please also have a look on the BA (Hons) Fine Art page for portfolio guidance, to find this please scroll down to 'Course Details'.

If you are unsure about what you would like to study at university, as it is a big commitment, we would suggest to study a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design course.

You should also come to one of our open days to meet the students and staff from the course and see our award winning facilities!

Thanks
Belinda
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (94)
20.13%
The paper was reasonable (179)
38.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.48%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed