The Student Room Group

National 5 English 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pineapplepink
cool thanks

I have wrote abou 400 words for my reflective and to behonest it doen't look grate. I think i have writen everything i can about my fear of failure. Theirs not much to it, I just explained i have a fear of failure and then what i have learned from it. I also wrote a wee anidote about how i feel when i get test marks back.
Until you have the knack about Reflective essays they can be very daunting. At their heart they about you examining yourself.

Your subject is the "fear of failure." that is a very broad canvas. In addition "success" is the other side of this coin. Some question points that might assist you.
a) What is the success you seek and why. Don't rely on generalities, sucess is specific and real.
b) Is failure an aspect of life your life in general and if so why.
c) Is failure also an elememt of your progress through education and if so why.

At this point we need to introduce positiveness into the essay.

d) What is it you seek in life and why and what and what is it you want out of life and therefore why the fear of failure is so important.
e) So what have your learnt about this process. You should have learnt something about yourself and who you are. They say Edison failed over a hundred times to sucessfully invent the light bulb before he succeeded. Actually it could be argued that he did not fail so many times - he succeeded in discovering the many ways how not to create a working lightbulb. Failure could be said to be a greater learning experience than success.

Maybe these ideas will help unblock your essay.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jamesg2
Until you have the knack about Reflective essays they can be very daunting. At their heart they about you examining yourself.

Your subject is the "fear of failure." that is a very broad canvas. In addition "success" is the other side of this coin. Some question points that might assist you.
a) What is the success you seek and why. Don't rely on generalities, sucess is specific and real.

d) What is it you seek in life and why and what and what is it you want out of life and therefore why the fear of failure is so important.
e) So what have your learnt about this process. You should have learnt something about yourself and who you are. They say Edison failed over a hundred times to sucessfully invent the light bulb before he succeeded. Actually it could be argued that he did not fail so many times - he succeeded in discovering the many ways how not to create a working lightbulb. Failure could be said to be a greater learning experience than success.

those are great ideas! I've already handed in my reflective essay but when I get it back I might incorporate some of these into it because mine's on quite a similar subject.
Original post by Valeriex
I've got my English prelim today. We have only done 3 poems so far out of the 6 but I only know quotes for 3 of them, I'm praying that I don't have to compare a poem to Mrs. Midas.

how did your prelim go?
how did your prelim go?

The RUaE was really hard but even my teacher said it was hard for Nat 5. The poems went okay I think but I think my essay might of got like a high mark maybe a 16/20
The RUaE was really hard but even my teacher said it was hard for Nat 5. The poems went okay I think but I think my essay might of got like a high mark maybe a 16/20

well done
I definitely need to practise ruae before my prelim
Original post by jamesg2

Thank you so much. Incredibly helpful
well done
I definitely need to practise ruae before my prelim

My issues all lie with the folio work there is so many ways you can go wrong. We just did our RUAE A/B test for scottish studies. Did you do that? i got 29/30 so luckliy i dont have to worry about RUAE.
The technique with RUAE is write as much as you can and remember that Word choice applys to nearly every question so get good at that
I’m usually okay with RUAE but I just didn’t understand the topic that the paper was on. I usually score between 20-25 marks out of 30 but I will of been lucky to get 20 marks in that prelim
I’m usually okay with RUAE but I just didn’t understand the topic that the paper was on. I usually score between 20-25 marks out of 30 but I will of been lucky to get 20 marks in that prelim

At this stage thats a good mark to get. Hopfully if you do more past papers you could rank up your score before your exam. What was your paper on? ours was on the grim trade in scotland and how scientist used to buy bodies to find out more about the human anatomy. It was actually quite interesting.
Original post by agirlcalledtheo
At this stage thats a good mark to get. Hopfully if you do more past papers you could rank up your score before your exam. What was your paper on? ours was on the grim trade in scotland and how scientist used to buy bodies to find out more about the human anatomy. It was actually quite interesting.

I’m really interested in biology so that is actually really interesting to me. Ours was about how American English is different from British English, it was just all round confusing.

Like @agirlcalledtheo said, that's a great mark to get at this stage! A lot of people struggle with English prelims, but then improve a lot before the actual exam and do really well! :smile:

yeah I'm ok with ruae but I want to get better and faster at answering the questions which I assume is just down to practise
I’m really interested in biology so that is actually really interesting to me. Ours was about how American English is different from British English, it was just all round confusing.

Oh really?! thats what i am doing my Persausive essay on. How the Americanisation of english is a good thing. Anything interesting that might help me that would be great.
yeah I'm ok with ruae but I want to get better and faster at answering the questions which I assume is just down to practise

it is definitly down to practice. On my first past paper i got 15/30 and so i tried a couple more untill we had a test in school and i got 29/30 so if you do the questions, mark it yourself, reccognise where your mistakes are and then do it all again you will really learn from it.
Oh really?! thats what i am doing my Persausive essay on. How the Americanisation of english is a good thing. Anything interesting that might help me that would be great.

Wow what a conincidence haha, if I’m honest I can’t actually remember the contents of the article, I think it was published like 4 or 5 years ago however
it is definitly down to practice. On my first past paper i got 15/30 and so i tried a couple more untill we had a test in school and i got 29/30 so if you do the questions, mark it yourself, reccognise where your mistakes are and then do it all again you will really learn from it.

thanks that's great advice:smile:
Original post by Rumaan Yusaf
I’m doing Norman MacCaig and I find his poems quite easy. The only thing I struggle with close reading and the 8 marker (set text)

Same. I've got an English prelim tomorrow, and I'm so worried for the 8 marker and what they're gonna ask. So far i have done Norman MacCaig poems including: Aunt Julia, Visiting Hour, Hotel room 12th floor and Assisi. We also have to write an essay on AWGB which is a short story. Got the prelim tomorrow tho, so wish me luck.
:redface:
How is everyone getting on with their persausive/reflective essays?
Original post by raniya.2003
Same. I've got an English prelim tomorrow, and I'm so worried for the 8 marker and what they're gonna ask. So far i have done Norman MacCaig poems including: Aunt Julia, Visiting Hour, Hotel room 12th floor and Assisi. We also have to write an essay on AWGB which is a short story. Got the prelim tomorrow tho, so wish me luck.
:redface:

Hope that your prelim went well? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending