National 5 English 2018/19 Watch

jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Rachel,

What Set Text are you studying?

I may have some notes on it that I can share.
ravenshill
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
my daughter got 51% which is a pass but she was gutted. She expected higher but she failed her close reading. what advise can anyone give to help improve this?
rachel_jeffy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I may have some notes on it that I can share.For the critical essay Prose i studies Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and for the Scottish texts i studies in the snack bar, glasgow sonnet, glasgow fifth of march, trio and good friday. I have already sat the prelim and dont think i got on very well but notes would still be greatly appriciated for my final exam in May.
ravenshill
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
She studied Macbeth for her critical essay and Norman MacCaig poems which were ok but she knows she has to work more on them but close reading was more difficult
rachel_jeffy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jamesg2)
Rachel,

What Set Text are you studying?

I may have some notes on it that I can share.
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for prose critical and essay and Edwin Morgan for scotish text poems
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by a1m33camx)
my daughter got 51% which is a pass but she was gutted. She expected higher but she failed her close reading. what advise can anyone give to help improve this?
First, although it wasn't what she expected/hoped for, it is a good grade to be getting in English at this stage. In English, you are generally examined on the entire course in the prelim (unlike say biology, where you'll maybe do 2 of the 3 units), so you've not yet had the time to develop the depth of analysis and improve your techniques through practice. A lot of people improve greatly between the prelim and the main exam in English, as over the next couple of months, your technique for answering questions improves and you get to know your texts better. Bare in mind a good folio mark can also help your overall grade.

I'd encourage her to not be disheartened, but rather to use it too find out exactly which areas she struggles with (e.g. is she not providing enough analysis, or is it that the evaluation questions in the RUAE paper always trip her up?). She can then focus her revision on these areas, and if she works at it, she should see improvements going towards the exam.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (83)
57.64%
No (61)
42.36%

Watched Threads