The Student Room Group

National 5 Biology 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Hi - don't put too much pressure on yourselves to get straight A's. It's nice to aim for that, but don't be too gutted if you don't achieve that. Nat 5's really don't matter once you have your higher results - all anyone ever wants is a pass at Nat 5.

I got an A at both Nat 5 and Higher. I have faith you are all capable of a similar result - just use this week productively.

I'm doing Advanced Bio, Chem and English this year, so if you have any questions or worries feel free to ask and I'll try to help.
thanks
I'm mostly just doing past papers and flashcards right now, but is there anything else I should be doing at this stage? :smile:

Original post by amyy_ixo
Hi - don't put too much pressure on yourselves to get straight A's. It's nice to aim for that, but don't be too gutted if you don't achieve that. Nat 5's really don't matter once you have your higher results - all anyone ever wants is a pass at Nat 5.

I got an A at both Nat 5 and Higher. I have faith you are all capable of a similar result - just use this week productively.

I'm doing Advanced Bio, Chem and English this year, so if you have any questions or worries feel free to ask and I'll try to help.

Thank you so much really feeling relieved 😌. How is Advanced Higher English? I might take it.
How do you explain gas exchange?
I am sorry you might need to rotate the picture. There is a question asking about how air enters the lung or something

IMG_20181025_090940-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Hey - I'm a little rusty with gas exchange. We don't really discuss that beyond national 5, but I'll try to summarise the way in which my teacher got us to remember it. You don't have to know it in a mass amount of detail, just be able to outline the process by which gasses get in and out of the body.

For a start, it's worth just remembering the basic pathway of oxygen from the mouth to the bloodstream. I always found it easiest to visualise this in myself.
Oxygen goes from the mouth --> trachea (windpipe) --> bronchi (in lungs) --> bronchioles --> alveoli
The alveoli are the small air sacs which gases are absorbed through. They have a large surface area, and thin walls. The alveoli are also surrounded by a network of capillaries meaning there is a good blood supply around this area.
Oxygen diffuses from the alveoli into the bloodstream, while Carbon Dioxide diffuses from the bloodstream back into the alveoli.

All you really need to know is summarised here: https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zcjfmsg/revision/2
Particularly the importance of the various aspects of the alveoli structure (thin walls, etc.) It seems like a lot but they are very limited to what they can ask. I really hope this helps, as for the question - I'm not sure I even understand what they're asking.

Side note: Advanced English is hard going, but very rewarding if you do well. I wouldn't recommend taking it without at least a B at higher, but if you enjoy English as a subject (which is why I took it), you will likely enjoy the course no matter what.

Another side note; don't do three advanced. I recommend 2 advanced and 2 highers in S6 (I wish someone had told me that lol). Good luck!

Original post by rittajmoghal29
Thank you so much really feeling relieved 😌. How is Advanced Higher English? I might take it.
How do you explain gas exchange?
I am sorry you might need to rotate the picture. There is a question asking about how air enters the lung or something

IMG_20181025_090940-compressed.jpg.jpeg
From now until the exam, I'll just be working through past papers. If you are comfortable in your method of revision - stick with it! Past papers are the key to understanding how the weird and wonderful SQA wants us to answer their questions.
Original post by pineapplepink
thanks
I'm mostly just doing past papers and flashcards right now, but is there anything else I should be doing at this stage? :smile:
great thanks:smile:

From now until the exam, I'll just be working through past papers. If you are comfortable in your method of revision - stick with it! Past papers are the key to understanding how the weird and wonderful SQA wants us to answer their questions.
I’ve been doing rlly well n got like 90-100% in all of the past papers but for some reason 2014 I find insanely difficult. Did they change the course ?
2014 was the first year of national 5's, this won't give you an accurate representation of what this year's exam will be like.
Original post by bendalrymple36
I’ve been doing rlly well n got like 90-100% in all of the past papers but for some reason 2014 I find insanely difficult. Did they change the course ?
Is the 2014 past paper outdated because usually I get 90-100% but I totally flopped that one
O ok thank u so much it gave me a mini heart attack when I couldn’t answer the questions
2014 was the first year of national 5's, this won't give you an accurate representation of what this year's exam will be like.
Original post by bendalrymple36

Yes they have removed lifestyle choices and the nitrogen cycle. Photosynthesis is moved to Unit 3.
(edited 4 years ago)
Has anyone done the Leckie Leckie and/or Hodder Gibson specimen papers? If so how did you find them? I’m finding them a bit hard so feeling a bit nervous for the final exam aha
Original post by petsfurrypaws
Has anyone done the Leckie Leckie and/or Hodder Gibson specimen papers? If so how did you find them? I’m finding them a bit hard so feeling a bit nervous for the final exam aha

By Leckie and Leckie you mean the past paper book? if that it was alright.
where did you find the specimen papers for Leckie and Leckie or Hodder?
I am going to start the Hodder one now
Yep, the Leckie Leckie model paper book, my bad, my school had them
I find them really useful but always do worse in them than the actual papers
Original post by petsfurrypaws
Yep, the Leckie Leckie model paper book, my bad, my school had them
I find them really useful but always do worse in them than the actual papers

Oh yes, they are they have old questions as well such as the nitrogen cycle and meristems.
Ignore such type of questions. Like there was a question on importance of reflex action, I mentioned 'to protect the body from further harm' but I wasn't allocated a mark as I did not mention how it helps in increasing chances of survival 🤔. Weird marking scheme I tell you.

Also during aerobic respiration, Carbon dioxide diffuses out right? I was doing a Kahoot quiz and it marked my answer wrong 🤔🤔
(edited 4 years ago)
Yep I had a feeling the marking scheme was even more corrupt than usual :tongue:

And yes I believe so
Oh yes, they are they have old questions as well such as the nitrogen cycle and meristems.
Ignore such type of questions. Like there was a question on importance of reflex action, I mentioned 'to protect the body from further harm' but I wasn't allocated a mark as I did not mention how it helps in increasing chances of survival 🤔. Weird marking scheme I tell you.

Also during aerobic respiration, Carbon dioxide diffuses out right? I was doing a Kahoot quiz and it marked my answer wrong 🤔🤔
Can't believe time flies by so quick🙈
Tomorrow we will be sitting our first board exam
Best of luck to everyone, let's smash it out there 🤗🤗
Hope to see discussions about the paper tomorrow!
well we'll be talking on here or Labrador99 might make a specific thread for the exam
can't believe the actual exam is tomorrow though lol

Hope it goes well for you tomorrow :smile: There will probably be quite a few people in this thread discussing afterwards :smile:
Original post by pineapplepink
well we'll be talking on here or Labrador99 might make a specific thread for the exam
can't believe the actual exam is tomorrow though lol

Yep, discussion will be here in this one :smile:
(The extra music one was me being a numpty and forgetting we already had one :colondollar:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending