The Student Room Group

National 5 Biology 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Btw guys how is biology out of 125? Exam is 100 + assignment 20 = 120

On the grade boundaries it says 125?
What did everyone put for question 3 in the multiple choice I wasn’t sure, it was on the site of stage two protein synthesis.
In the ribosome for stage 2 I think
Original post by Coleete
What did everyone put for question 3 in the multiple choice I wasn’t sure, it was on the site of stage two protein synthesis.
Stage 1 - nucleus, Stage 2 - ribosomes
Original post by Coleete
Yeah I put same
I think I put nucleus and cytoplasm for that one.
Anyone else find the multiple choice more challenging or was that just me?
Original post by -MikeMike-
Btw guys how is biology out of 125? Exam is 100 + assignment 20 = 120

On the grade boundaries it says 125?

The assignment gets scaled up to be out of 25 :smile:
Ye I found it solid.

Original post by cmiller03_
Anyone else find the multiple choice more challenging or was that just me?
Wait what? How? what are the extra 5 marks for?
Original post by Labrador99
But if the exam gets scaled to 80, that would make it out of 105%?
Original post by Labrador99
Nope! I found the MC harder than 2018 and 17 which i had previously done online. Even the MC in the prelim was easier.
What did people put for the one where you had to comment on the antibodies in the blood.
Ye I thought that but then everything happens in the nucleus so I thought it was a bit vague.

Original post by aingidh
I think I put nucleus and cytoplasm for that one.
ah I got that one about the seal wrong then didn't do it twice
otherwise I thought it was fine
Original post by mrobertson03
Also, they were really trying to catch us out with some of those multiple choice questions. Such as the one about inheritance controlled by more than one gene, a lot of people I spoke to put polygenic, because they didn’t realise that it was asking for the type of variation, and for the seal pup population one, most people saw that it was going up by 1.8 million each time, so just added on 1.8 million and didn’t realise that between 2016 and 2020, 1.8 million would be added on twice.
What did people get for the question about variation, in the multi choice section?
Original post by -MikeMike-
Wait what? How? what are the extra 5 marks for?

There aren't an extra 5 marks...The SQA just multiply whatever your mark for the assignment was by 1.25, so that they have a total out of 25. Say, for example, you get 10/20 (50%) in the assignment...The scaled mark is then 12.5/25 (still 50% in the assignment). Since the exam paper is out of 100, it means the assignment makes up 20% of the grade :smile:

Original post by mrobertson03
But if the exam gets scaled to 80, that would make it out of 105%?

The exam paper (in the case of nat 5 biology) doesn't get scaled, just the assignment.
I got continuous

Original post by P2018rose
What did people get for the question about variation, in the multi choice section?
I put continuous
Original post by P2018rose
For the antibodies I put

The phagocytes physically engulf the pathogens, whereas the lymphocytes produces antibodies, which are proteins that destroy pathogens.

I wish I had mentioned phagocytosis for the phagocyte bit.

Quick Reply