WW1. Was any country solely to blame? Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
If so, who?

If not, what was the main cause? Does any particular country shield more blame than all the others.

I have always had a slight interest in this, and with WW1 and the centenary being in the news I wanted to get opinions on this.

However, lets keep this thread clean please.

And also "Lest we Forget"
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh god, I've forgotten most of my WW1 knowledge....

I do remember being immensely angry at Austria-Hungary's involvement. They are like the little one causing drama behind the scenes and getting their older brother to fight for them.

I do remember thinking that all the members in the dual alliance and triple entente are responsible. When the fight for power gets to that stage, a war is destined to happen so we can learn from our mistakes.
Delusion6
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Russia... right?

actually wait i can't remember either...
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Delusion6)
Russia... right?

actually wait i can't remember either...
Russia is an interesting one, due to the fact they were mobilising heavily before war was declared.
(Original post by JamieK03)
Oh god, I've forgotten most of my WW1 knowledge....

I do remember being immensely angry at Austria-Hungary's involvement. They are like the little one causing drama behind the scenes and getting their older brother to fight for them.

I do remember thinking that all the members in the dual alliance and triple entente are responsible. When the fight for power gets to that stage, a war is destined to happen so we can learn from our mistakes.
I would say they alliances themselves were more responsible than some of the nations within the alliances.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It’s sad to think about WWI, considering it was completely unecessary, and had no underlying purpose. I think it was to do with the tensions within the alliances, but how could this ever justify such a long and deadly war, and one which lead to an even deadlier war just a few years later? Sometimes I wonder what they felt they were fighting for apart from some nationalist idea of British military might. Just goes to show how dangerous nationalism is, and the senseless loss of life that can result from it.
jackcade
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It is surprising to me how few people blame Serbia for starting WWI. Not only did they chronologically start the war, but their action plainly justified Austrian military intervention by any interpretation of international law that would have been openly advanced by any of the great powers at that time.

It was the Russians who then turned it into a great power conflict by backing Serbia, another power that is rarely blamed.

Germany brought about our involvement by its own aggressive acts, but some kind of war had already started without them.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think Serbia bears a great deal of responsibility for starting off ww1, due to their support and arming of the terrorist revolutionary black hand factions.
Tsarist Russia also bore much responsibility for their alliance with serbia.

However, the two royal cousins ruling Britain and Germany bear the ultimate responsibility for WW1; conducting arms races, mobilizing heavily then forming military alliances with plans to go to war- all based on a mutual childhood dislike that developed into aggressive international rivalry as they grew up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.39%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.31%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (97)
17.86%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (82)
15.1%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (165)
30.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise