whatcaitydid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi guys,
I'm currently doing my A levels (in year 12) and do English literature, English language and Spanish. Have been looking at unis and UCL appeals to me a lot, but I was just wondering what the average GCSE grades are of a UCL applicant (particularly English literature).

I completed the new GCSEs so they're in numbers as opposed to letters. I've put them into the old grades

Here are my grades:

English literature: 9 (A**)
English language: 9 (A**)
Spanish: 8 (A*)
Art: 8 (A*)
French: 7 (A)
Religion: 7 (A)
Biology: 6 (B)
Chemistry: 6 (B)
Physics: 5 (C)
Maths: 5 (C)

So A**A**A*A*AABBCC.

Do you think these are alright/give me a chance of a place there? My predicted A level grades are AAA. However, I'm worried that my few Bs/Cs at GCSE would let me down even though they're in subjects unrelated to English literature..

Thanks guys x
Last edited by whatcaitydid; 11 months ago
whatcaitydid
Rep:
?
Hi guys,
I'm currently doing my A levels (in year 12) and do English literature, English language and Spanish. Have been looking at unis and UCL appeals to me a lot, but I was just wondering what the average GCSE grades are of a UCL applicant (particularly English literature).

I completed the new GCSEs so they're in numbers as opposed to letters. I've put them into the old grades

Here are my grades:

So A**A**A*A*AABBCC.

Do you think these are alright/give me a chance of a place there? My predicted A level grades are AAA. However, I'm worried that my few Bs/Cs at GCSE would let me down even though they're in subjects unrelated to English literature..

Thanks guys x
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It honestly triggers me so much when people put A**, when the 8 is only like 1/4 the way into the A* bracket with the rest hanging in the mid to high A range
whatcaitydid
Rep:
?
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
It honestly triggers me so much when people put A**, when the 8 is only like 1/4 the way into the A* bracket with the rest hanging in the mid to high A range
Haha, I just put down A* for 9s on my CV to be honest because I thought that too - it was only until Ofqual released the statement saying that it was an actual "A**" that I realised.. Still confuses me tbf :')
Evitov
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
you'll be fine most likely work hard for good predicted grades and do stuff for your PS but you'll most likely be fine.
whatcaitydid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evitov)
you'll be fine most likely work hard for good predicted grades and do stuff for your PS but you'll most likely be fine.
Thank you! It's just those pesky maths and science grades which I'm concerned about, but I'm hoping they won't be too bothered as they're unrelated to the course I want to do :/
Evitov
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by whatcaitydid)
Thank you! It's just those pesky maths and science grades which I'm concerned about, but I'm hoping they won't be too bothered as they're unrelated to the course I want to do :/
I have an interview with imperial with worse grades so... chill. haha
Daisy02
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Oooh I really wanna know too.
I'm similar to you - want to study English at UCL and got A*s and As in my humanities and languages but Bs and Cs in my sciences. It's really frustrating that so many universities want their students to be complete all-rounders!
whatcaitydid
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi guys,

Here are my grades:

So A**A**A*A*AABBCC.

Thanks guys x
username3599600
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think it depends on what your school's average is. Personally, I did worse than average for my school in terms of GCSEs and I still got in for law, so I don't think UCL values GCSEs as much as other places. I think they do have some hard rules such as a minimum C in maths, which you have. Also, it's only one choice out of five so there's no harm in applying anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads