emiliakukielka
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys can anyone help with this question i have no idea where to start

The magma and lava produced at constructive plate margins are low in silica content. To what extent does this affect the nature of volcanic eruptions found at this type of boundary? (4 marks)
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emiliakukielka)
Hi guys can anyone help with this question i have no idea where to start

The magma and lava produced at constructive plate margins are low in silica content. To what extent does this affect the nature of volcanic eruptions found at this type of boundary? (4 marks)
You could firstly mention how the low silica content affects the viscosity of the lava, i.e. low silica content means the lava is more fluid, as is the case with basalt. Fluid lavas also have fewer volatiles in them as gases can escape from them easily, which means that they produce relatively gentle, effusive eruptions in which lava fountains and lava flows are common. Effusive eruptions tend to produce shield volcanoes which have shallow slopes (or pillow lavas in the case of mid-ocean ridges), in contrast with explosive eruptions which form steep stratovolcanoes and have pyroclastic flows and ash falls as their most common hazards.

Silica content is basically an important compositional control on the viscosity of the magma, which in turn affects the style of eruption and types of volcanic hazards that are produced.

I hope that helps
emiliakukielka
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
You could firstly mention how the low silica content affects the viscosity of the lava, i.e. low silica content means the lava is more fluid, as is the case with basalt. Fluid lavas also have fewer volatiles in them as gases can escape from them easily, which means that they produce relatively gentle, effusive eruptions in which lava fountains and lava flows are common. Effusive eruptions tend to produce shield volcanoes which have shallow slopes (or pillow lavas in the case of mid-ocean ridges), in contrast with explosive eruptions which form steep stratovolcanoes and have pyroclastic flows and ash falls as their most common hazards.

Silica content is basically an important compositional control on the viscosity of the magma, which in turn affects the style of eruption and types of volcanic hazards that are produced.

I hope that helps
Thank you for answering that did help me answer my question! So I basically have to state and explain how the different types of lava flows will affect the volcanoes.

That simiplied the question thanks!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emiliakukielka)
Thank you for answering that did help me answer my question! So I basically have to state and explain how the different types of lava flows will affect the volcanoes.

That simiplied the question thanks!
That would be my interpretation of how to answer the question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.06%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
9.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.62%

Watched Threads