Former MBB Consultant / MBB campus recruiter - Ask me anything! Watch

timif1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Rob,

If one has a lot of relevant and meaningful experience and big names on CV, leadership experience etc. can it outweigh the uni they go to (think premier semi target)?

Thanks
rob1060
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by timif1)
Hi Rob,

If one has a lot of relevant and meaningful experience and big names on CV, leadership experience etc. can it outweigh the uni they go to (think premier semi target)?

Thanks
For sure - if for example one did economics at Sheffield (and got a first), and did internships in investment banking at Goldman Sachs.. then that person would on the talent interview matrix be positioned equivalent to someone who did undergraduate at LSE but no big-name internships.

Only works up to a point, and for very selected names. Big names doesn’t necessarily equate to elite names.
Aybeecee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for a very informative thread. With regard to undergraduate degree, would there be considerable or any advantage for an Australian student to study economics at LSE or UCL as opposed to a 4 year honours degree in finance, economics and applied statistics at Australian National University?
rob1060
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aybeecee)
Thank you for a very informative thread. With regard to undergraduate degree, would there be considerable or any advantage for an Australian student to study economics at LSE or UCL as opposed to a 4 year honours degree in finance, economics and applied statistics at Australian National University?
ANU is a great school and appears on the target lists for the MBB Sydney offices. If you are ANU applying to London office, then probably better to do Economics at LSE or UCL.
bloodcyka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for your insightful replies! Was wondering if you could shed some light on recruiting in the major US offices (NY/SF/Boston) for full-time entry level positions at MBB.

1. I graduated with a high 2:1 (68%) in Economics from LSE/UCL, and am currently pursuing a quantitative Masters at one of HYPSM. I have a pretty strong GMAT score (750+) and straight A*s for my A Levels.
I am confident in getting at least a 3.8 GPA for my Masters, but would the lack of a 1:1 in my undergrad degree be a deal breaker, or would my other academics be enough to compensate? How is LSE/UCL viewed by US recruiters, and how should my degree result be presented on my CV (just list the degree class, or convert it to GPA)?

2. I previously had front-office investment banking internships (Spring Insight at a EB in London, summer at a non-EB boutique in the US). Heading into the fall recruitment cycle, which of these summer internships (all in Asia) would best position me for MBB recruitment in the US - Deloitte S&O, FP&A at a F100 company, Strategy and Business Development at one of the most valuable startups in Asia (well-known in Asia, but not in the US), or a investment role in a solid but relatively young and fledging VC fund founded by McKinsey alumni?

What would be my approximate chance of getting a first-round interview as an international student? Would networking help more in the US than in the UK? Thank you!
Last edited by bloodcyka; 1 month ago
rob1060
Rep:
?
(Original post by bloodcyka)
Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for your insightful replies! Was wondering if you could shed some light on recruiting in the major US offices (NY/SF/Boston) for full-time entry level positions at MBB.

1. I graduated with a high 2:1 (68%) in Economics from LSE/UCL, and am currently pursuing a quantitative Masters at one of HYPSM. I have a pretty strong GMAT score (750+) and straight A*s for my A Levels.
I am confident in getting at least a 3.8 GPA for my Masters, but would the lack of a 1:1 in my undergrad degree be a deal breaker, or would my other academics be enough to compensate? How is LSE/UCL viewed by US recruiters, and how should my degree result be presented on my CV (just list the degree class, or convert it to GPA)?

2. I previously had front-office investment banking internships (Spring Insight at a EB in London, summer at a non-EB boutique in the US). Heading into the fall recruitment cycle, which of these summer internships (all in Asia) would best position me for MBB recruitment in the US - Deloitte S&O, FP&A at a F100 company, Strategy and Business Development at one of the most valuable startups in Asia (well-known in Asia, but not in the US), or a investment role in a solid but relatively young and fledging VC fund founded by McKinsey alumni?

What would be my approximate chance of getting a first-round interview as an international student? Would networking help more in the US than in the UK? Thank you!
1. How could you get an undergraduate degree from both LSE and UCL? Anyhow, other academics are enough to tick-the-box for an invite to PST or equivalent. LSE is viewed as tier 1 by recruiters in the US, less so UCL. Convert to GPA if you are applying to US offices

2. The startup role or VC.

3. Depends on the office; networking only gets you so far.. times have changed.
production123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi Rob, it seems that lots of the top consulting firms are moving more into the implementation/operations space e.g. McKinsey Implementation. However, I am finding it difficult to find out more information about these practices online.

I was wondering if you were able to offer some more insight into the implemenation arm of consulting practices? (How many people do they take? What type of background do they hire? Is the process just as competitive? What projects do they tend to work on? What is pay like? Any other helpful pieces of advice welcomed)

Thanks again
A_25
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi Rob,

What are the prospects like for someone with a 1st class degree from UCL in Economics looking to go into MBB?

Thanks
rob1060
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by A_25)
Hi Rob,

What are the prospects like for someone with a 1st class degree from UCL in Economics looking to go into MBB?

Thanks
Strong
h3110
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi Rob

At what point do strategy consulting firms stop filtering people out for having low A Levels? For example, after graduating with a first then starting a masters degree, would they still filter someone out who had low A Levels?
My A Levels are A*AB, I'm on track for a first at LSE. If I got a first then did a masters, would I still get filtered out because of the A Levels?

Thanks
brrrrrrrrrrr
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi Rob,

What internship would be more beneficial for FT recruitment - public equities at an Asian SWF in NY, or Strategy& in London (Within the M&A strategy team though)

Thanks!
rob1060
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by h3110)
Hi Rob

At what point do strategy consulting firms stop filtering people out for having low A Levels? For example, after graduating with a first then starting a masters degree, would they still filter someone out who had low A Levels?
My A Levels are A*AB, I'm on track for a first at LSE. If I got a first then did a masters, would I still get filtered out because of the A Levels?

Thanks
I think you would be ok IF you got a first from the LSE and a masters in a respected / analytical subject from a tier 1 institution (at a strong grade). That would help dilute the impact of your A-levels.
rob1060
Rep:
?
(Original post by brrrrrrrrrrr)
Hi Rob,

What internship would be more beneficial for FT recruitment - public equities at an Asian SWF in NY, or Strategy& in London (Within the M&A strategy team though)

Thanks!
If you mean MBB full-time recruitment, then the S& role.
rob1060
Rep:
?
(Original post by production123)
Hi Rob, it seems that lots of the top consulting firms are moving more into the implementation/operations space e.g. McKinsey Implementation. However, I am finding it difficult to find out more information about these practices online.

I was wondering if you were able to offer some more insight into the implemenation arm of consulting practices? (How many people do they take? What type of background do they hire? Is the process just as competitive? What projects do they tend to work on? What is pay like? Any other helpful pieces of advice welcomed)

Thanks again
Within the MBB, the implementation arms are the "poor cousins" of the front-line strategy teams. Pay is less, the selection process is a little less stringent (less competitive than strategy roles) and the work is more operational / roll your sleeves up type of project.
brrrrrrrrrrr
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by rob1060)
If you mean MBB full-time recruitment, then the S& role.
Thanks! Would the SWF be a material disadvantage? I feel like a buyside eq opportunity in NY seems too great to pass up, but if that’d affect my MBB chances (e.g doubt over why id wanna try Consulting after doing this), then I’m not that sure
rob1060
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 18 hours ago
(Original post by brrrrrrrrrrr)
Thanks! Would the SWF be a material disadvantage? I feel like a buyside eq opportunity in NY seems too great to pass up, but if that’d affect my MBB chances (e.g doubt over why id wanna try Consulting after doing this), then I’m not that sure
To be honest, public equities at a sovereign fund isn’t really true buyside.. so I wouldn’t worry too much. If it’s the fund that I’m thinking of, then you should look at their private markets investing teams, which would be a step up from MBB.
A_25
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
Hi Rob,

just wondering if you answer private inbox messages ?
Thanks
rob1060
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 18 hours ago
(Original post by A_25)
Hi Rob,

just wondering if you answer private inbox messages ?
Thanks
I most certainly do, often the best way of having an honest discussion away from the glare of a public forum
brrrrrrrrrrr
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
To be honest, public equities at a sovereign fund isn’t really true buyside.. so I wouldn’t worry too much. If it’s the fund that I’m thinking of, then you should look at their private markets investing teams, which would be a step up from MBB.
What do you mean by true buy side! Not trying to be aggressive or whatnot haha - id love to hear your thoughts to properly rank public equities at the SWF vs my other offers. I was initially under the impression that their large AUM and selective recruiting process qualified it to be a high tier buy side opportunity.
TSR32332
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
I think you would be ok IF you got a first from the LSE and a masters in a respected / analytical subject from a tier 1 institution (at a strong grade). That would help dilute the impact of your A-levels.
Which subjects would you consider to be respected? Would you consider Biochemistry/Chemistry to fall under this bracket?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads