GuruOfMaths
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Help pls
Two skaters have the same mass and velocity but their momentum is different why?
Ash:)
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by richmanswagoh)
Help pls
Two skaters have the same mass and velocity but their momentum is different why?
At GCSE level momentum = mass x velocity

*Remember, velocity is speed with direction*

Therefore, the momentum of an object also depends on the direction of travel.

The momentum of an object can change if the object accelerates/decelerates and if the object changes direction.

So... the skaters may be accelerating/ decelerating at different rates or they may be changing their direction
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
moved to physics
GuruOfMaths
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ash:))
At GCSE level momentum = mass x velocity

*Remember, velocity is speed with direction*

Therefore, the momentum of an object also depends on the direction of travel.

The momentum of an object can change if the object accelerates/decelerates and if the object changes direction.

So... the skaters may be accelerating/ decelerating at different rates or they may be changing their direction
But their velocity is same so how are the accelerating/decelerating or changing direction.
Ash:)
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by richmanswagoh)
But their velocity is same so how are the accelerating/decelerating or changing direction.
A change in direction doesn’t mean that their speed changes; may be travelling in opposite directions at the same speed.

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time.

I don’t know how much you’ve learnt on the topic, but if I were to explain it in detail, we’d be going into a level physics. Perhaps it may be useful to purchase a CGP revision guide which will probably explain the topic better than I can! Also try and speak to your physics teacher about this to clear any issues

Hope this helps
Last edited by Ash:); 2 years ago
GuruOfMaths
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ash)A change in direction doesn’t mean that their speed changes; may be travelling in opposite directions at the same speed.

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time.

I don’t know how much you’ve learnt on the topic, but if I were to explain it in detail, we’d be going into a level physics. Perhaps it may be useful to purchase a CGP revision guide which will probably explain the topic better than I can! Also try and speak to your physics teacher about this to clear any issues

Hope this helps

Thanks alot
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because velocity is a vector, one of the skater's velocity will be negative. Because momentum is velocity × mass, this will give one positive momentum and one negative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (76)
16.67%
No one else does (141)
30.92%
I'm embarrassed about my background (51)
11.18%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (159)
34.87%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.54%
I don't have a camera (10)
2.19%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.63%

Watched Threads