Ten (1)
100%
This discussion is closed.
StarAtNight
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I wonder if anyone could help me please? every organisation has a regulatory body. I want to know who I can formally complain to about UCAS who regulates them? I cannot find any information about who it might be. Does anyone know is it the same governing body who regulates higher education? thank you so much in advance.

StarAtNight.
ns_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by StarAtNight)
I wonder if anyone could help me please? every organisation has a regulatory body. I want to know who I can formally complain to about UCAS who regulates them? I cannot find any information about who it might be. Does anyone know is it the same governing body who regulates higher education? thank you so much in advance.

StarAtNight.
UCAS is technically unaffiliated with the government and so does not typically subscribe to any individual regulatory body.

Any compliant would have to go through UCAS in the first instance before any other institution would even consider it.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

StarAtNight.
What is your complaint, exactly?

(Original post by Reality Check)
Sorry you didn't get your offer from your target universities.
PRSOM
StarAtNight
Rep:
?
Ok thanks that's rubbish. That is why they get away with what they do. That now explains alot. I have tried to complain to them twice without sucess. So if you are unsuccessful at complaining to them. How do you go about complaining about them then? They still should be regulated somehow though? thanks

StarAtNight.

(Original post by ns_2)UCAS is technically unaffiliated with the government and so does not typically subscribe to any individual regulatory body.

Any compliant would have to go through UCAS in the first instance before any other institution would even consider it.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Sorry you didn't get your offer from your target universities.
I assume you had a look at previous threads.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

StarAtNight.
https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I assume you had a look at previous threads.
Exactly
StarAtNight
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
What is your complaint, exactly?

PRSOM
Ooooh where shall I start? My complaint is regarding bad customer service, bad staff attitiudes. Refusing to reimburse me. Taking my money from me more than once and then refusing to refund the money when my application wasn't successful. They have messed me about from day one. They lost my application originally and I lost my unconditional place at university on my course because of them. Then because of them I had to go through clearing. Then said it was my fault because I didn't fill out the application on the correct browser Mozilla. I filled out mine on Safari. So they were saying that they never recieved my apllication. Not an excuse or good enough.

I have applied again since then and UCAS have taken my money from me but I wasn't successful at gaining a place at university. This had happened twice and on both occasions I have had issues with these absolute clowns. So technically they have not delivered the service I have paid for. As a customer under consumer law I have a right to ask for and be given a refund. The fact of the utterly appalling customer service and staff attitudes that I have endured while dealing with this cretans. So I argued that I was entitled to that money back. I wasn't happy with the service. Even now they won't refund my money. They are flatly refusing to do this.

Latest thing in the UCAS saga the change in tarriff points. I had 240 UCAS points in September 2014 when I orignally applied to university. Now in November 2018 I have 96 points because of the changes to the tarriff that UCAS made. I am arguing that where have the 144 points gone that I had previoulsy?. Its a perfectly valid question. I have previoulsy argued this with them last year as well. How can I only have 96 points now? it isn't like a Tesco card they don't expire like saver points do they? will my degree expire in a few years as well lol? UCAS are saying that they haven't devalued my points. But they have tecchnically there is a big, big diffrence in value between 96 and 144 surely the staff at UCAS as thick and stupid as they are know this. My argument is technically if I was to apply for a course now from year 1. I would not meet the requirements for entry because of their decision and the change in tariff. As most of the courses you need over 100 UCAS points. How is it our fault that they have selfishly screwed us over by doing this? it isn't but we suffer not UCAS when we apply to an institution to study and we don't have the required points because of their ridiclous decision to change the tarriff system. I am trying to find a new university to apply to, to finish my dgeree. I am worried that this will also affect that application. In short UCAS should not have been allowed to do this by law. What they have done to students is immoral and very wrong.

StarAtNight.
Last edited by StarAtNight; 2 years ago
999tigger
Report 2 years ago

StarAtNight.
What is your actual complaint?

What have you actually done?

Have you entered a formal complaint?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Latest thing in the UCAS saga the change in tarriff points. I had 240 UCAS points in September 2014 when I orignally applied to university. Now in November 2018 I have 96 points because of the chnages to the tarriff that UCAS made. I am arguing that where have the 144 points gone that I had previoulsy?. Its a prefectly valid question. I have previoulsy argued this with them last year as well. How can I only have 96 points now? it isn't like a Tesco card they don't expire like saver points do they? will my degree expire in a few years as well lol? UCAS are saying that they haven't devalued my points. But they have tecchnically there is a big, big diffrence in value between 96 and 144 surely the staff at UCAS as thick and stupid as they are know this. My argument is technically if I was to apply for a course now from year 1 I would not meet the requirements for entry because of their decison and the change in tarriff. As most of the courses you need over 100 UCAS points. How is it our fault that they have selfishly screwed us over by doing this? it isn't but we suffer not UCAS when we apply to an institution to study and we don't have the required points because of their ridiclous decision to change the tarriff system. I am trying to find a new university to apply to, to finish my dgeree. I am worried that this will also affect that application. In short UCAS should not have been allowed to do this by law. What they have done to students is immoral and very wrong.
That's not how tariff points work... :facepalm:

You haven't lost any - they have been recalculated in line with everyone else. You could have earned 240 points with AA at A-level. AA at A-level is now 96 points. You still have the same A-levels (or whatever qualifications you had) they just rebased the points. A course previously asking for 240 old points will now be asking for 96 new points.

There's no conspiracy or immorality.
Last edited by Doones; 2 years ago
StarAtNight
Rep:
?
Thank you so much.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)

You haven't lost any - they have been recalculated in line with everyone else.
Was literally about to type that after I put my pork shoulder in the oven :lol: Beat me to it.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it isn't like a Tesco card
Actually Tesco have indeed changed their loyalty programme recently.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Was literally about to type that after I put my pork shoulder in the oven :lol: Beat me to it.
And whilst you've been cooking I expanded my answer a bit too :yy:
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ooooh where shall I start? My complaint is regarding bad customer service, bad staff attitiudes. Refusing to reimburse me. Taking my money from me more than once and then refusing to refund the money when my application wasn't successful. They have messed me about from day one. They lost my application originally and I lost my unconditional place at university on my course because of them. Then because of them I had to go through clearing.
How did you lose an unconditional place?

If you were in Clearing then presumably you figured out a way to get your application to work... so did you get a place in Clearing?
Last edited by Doones; 2 years ago
StarAtNight
Rep:
?

Is it not? why did my course award me to 240 then for an M,M,M result. No it's not because you cannot go from having 240 points in 2014 to 96 points in 2016. Sorry but I had 240 I now have 96. thats a reduction of 144 points. I don't want my points to be changed in line with everyone else. How is that fair if my points are reduced?? I want the 240 points that I had originally in 2014. That pork shoulder is mkaing more sense right about now lol.

(Original post by Doonesbury)

You haven't lost any - they have been recalculated in line with everyone else. You could have earned 240 points with AA at A-level. AA at A-level is now 96 points. You still have the same A-levels (or whatever qualifications you had) they just rebased the points. A course previously asking for 240 old points will now be asking for 96 new points.

There's no conspiracy or immorality.
Is it not? why did my course award me to 240 then for an M,M,M result. No it's not because you cannot go from having 240 points in 2014 to 96 in 2016. How is it still the same mark? I don't understand?? there is a greater value in 240 than 96. Come on even you must know that. Sorry but I had 240 I now have 96. Thats a reduction of 144 points. I'll save you the time of trying to work it out lol. I don't want my points to be changed in line with everyone else. I don't want to be screwed over by them either. How is that fair if my points are reduced?? I want the 240 points that I had originally in 2014. Yes it is immoral they are messing with people's futures. They should have just left it alone. If it was fine as it was why change it? if what I have is the equivalent how is it less? equivalent means the same as and 96 AND 240 AREN'T THE SAME VALUE IN NUMBER are they???????????????? It is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG AND SO ARE YOU.
Last edited by StarAtNight; 2 years ago
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it not? why did my course award me to 240 then for an M,M,M result. No it's not because you cannot go from having 240 point one minute to 96 the next. Sorry but I had 240 I now have 96. thats a reduction of 144 points. I don'twant my points to be changed in line with everyone else. How is that dfiar if my points are reduced?? I want the 240 points that I had originally in 2014. That pork shoulder is mkaing more sense right about now lol.

Is it not? why did my course award me to 240 then for an M,M,M result. No it's not because you cannot go from having 240 point one minute to 96 the next. How is it still the same mark? I don't understand?? there is a greater value in 240 than 96. Come on even you must know that. Sorry but I had 240 I now have 96. thats a reduction of 144 points. I don't want my points to be changed in line with everyone else. I don't want to be screwed over by them either. How is that fair if my points are reduced?? I want the 240 points that I had originally in 2014. Yes it is immoral they are messing with people's futures. They should have just left it alone. If it was fine as it was why change it? if what I have is the equivalent how is it less? equivalent menas the same 96 AND 240 AREN'T THE SAME VALUE IN NUMBER are they???????????????? It is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG AND SO ARE YOU.
Your points aren't worth less.

How can I explain this:

Imagine if the Bank of England decided that ALL currency was to be divided by ten overnight. This means your £10 note is now called a £1 note. However, it still has the same purchasing power as the shops would have divided their prices by ten as well.

It's just a recalibration - your points are NOT worth less.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
Ooooh where shall I start? My complaint is regarding bad customer service, bad staff attitiudes. Refusing to reimburse me. Taking my money from me more than once and then refusing to refund the money when my application wasn't successful. They have messed me about from day one. They lost my application originally and i lost m,y place ta university on my course because of them. Then said it was my fault becuse I didn't fill out the application on the correct browser Mozilla. I filled out mine on Safari. So they were saying that they never recieved my apllication. Not an excuse or good enough.

I have applied again since then and UCAS have taken my money from me but I wasn't successful at gaining a place at university. so technicalluy they have not deliveed the service I have paid for. Along with the fact of the utterly appaling customer service and stafff attitudes that I have endured while dealing with this cretans. So I argued that I was entitled to that money back. I wasn't happy with the service. Even now they won't refund my money. They are flatly refusing to do this.

Latest thing in the UCAS saga the change in tarriff points. I had 240 UCAS points in September 2014 when I orignally applied to university. Now in November 2018 I have 96 points because of the chnages to the tarriff that UCAS made. I am arguing that where have the 144 points gone that I had previoulsy?. Its a prefectly valid question. I have previoulsy argued this with them last year as well. How can I only have 96 points now? it isn't like a Tesco card they don't expire like saver points do they? will my degree expire in a few years as well lol? UCAS are saying that they haven't devalued my points. But they have tecchnically there is a big, big diffrence in value between 96 and 144 surely the staff at UCAS as thick and stupid as they are know this. My argument is technically if I was to apply for a course now from year 1 I would not meet the requirements for entry because of their decison and the chnage in tarriff. As most of the courses you need over 100 UCAS points. How is it our fault that they have selfishly screwed us over by doing this? it isn't but we suffer not UCAS when we apply to an institution to study and we don't have the required points because of their ridiclous decision to change the tarriff system. I am trying to find a new university to apply to, to finish my dgeree. I am worried that this will also affect that application. In short UCAS should not have been allowed to do this by law. What they have done to students is immoral and very wrong.

StarAtNight.
Customer service you can complain about.
If you arent happy then you could try legal action.

1. How can you have lost your place at univeristy if you werent made any offers?

2. Isnt it your responsibility that they receive the application? Why didnt you chase it up? Werent you following your application on track?

3. Your claim about wanting your money back because you didnt get into target unis is rather crazy and misguided. They just agree to process your application and have nothing to do with whether you get an offer or not. It still takes the same amount of effort. Did they process your application and send it to your selected uni? That is the service? Which are the the magic unis concerned? You arent entitled to your money back. They did their job.

4. Tariff points were changed in 2017. You would know this if you had done your research.
The points A levels and other qualifications are worth were reduced, but so were the entry requirements to get into university, so nothing really changed.
So although you had 240points in old UCAS, then 96 in new UCAS is still worth the same as far as entry requirements go.
the alternative would be that every uni had lowered their entrance requirements and 240 points would now enable you to get into Oxbridge? Wouldnt that seem odd to you. Did you try and apply to unis on the basis you had 240 UCAS points? is that why you failed to get in?

Attachment 782838

Nothing has changed. You had CCC in old money and you still have CCC in new money but somehow you think you were swindled? It was the same for everyone. I dont think it works when you are calling UCAS thick?

5. It wont affect your application and the uni is going to be more concerned about your degree results and the rest of your application. That is your opportunity to show them you are superior to CCC. Its not really clear what you have been trying to do.

I really dont see the merit in your case and some of the arguments are just misinformed and incorrect.

6. There is another level of complaints you can escalate to if not happy. The complaints process is here.
https://www.ucas.com/about-us/our-se...vice-customers

7. The main regulator I believe is the Charity Commission, but I dont see what UCAS have done wrong, except you claim they were rude.

The Charity Commission are here
https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-charity

I believe that answers all your questions.
Last edited by 999tigger; 2 years ago
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it not? why did my course award me to 240 then for an M,M,M result. No it's not because you cannot go from having 240 points in 2014 to 96 points in 2016. Sorry but I had 240 I now have 96. thats a reduction of 144 points. I don't want my points to be changed in line with everyone else. How is that fair if my points are reduced?? I want the 240 points that I had originally in 2014. That pork shoulder is mkaing more sense right about now lol.

Is it not? why did my course award me to 240 then for an M,M,M result. No it's not because you cannot go from having 240 points in 2014 to 96 in 2016. How is it still the same mark? I don't understand?? there is a greater value in 240 than 96. Come on even you must know that. Sorry but I had 240 I now have 96. Thats a reduction of 144 points. I'll save you the time of trying to work it out lol. I don't want my points to be changed in line with everyone else. I don't want to be screwed over by them either. How is that fair if my points are reduced?? I want the 240 points that I had originally in 2014. Yes it is immoral they are messing with people's futures. They should have just left it alone. If it was fine as it was why change it? if what I have is the equivalent how is it less? equivalent means the same as and 96 AND 240 AREN'T THE SAME VALUE IN NUMBER are they???????????????? It is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG AND SO ARE YOU.
A course requiring MMM previously (which was 240 old points) will still accept MMM (96 new points). The qualification you have is not worth any less relative to all the other qualifications. It's really not that complicated.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Do you have... issues?

Can you comprehend that the "value" of the points have changed?

£5 is not the same as 5 Zimbabwean dollars just because the number is the same.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
56.05%
I don't have everything I need (229)
43.95%

Watched Threads