Applying to an IT focused course with industry experience and AS levels only

Watch
OSPF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm 19 years old and have currently been working for an IT MSP (Managed Service Provider) for a year now, I am in the role of a 2nd Line Engineer there. I provide support to users, manage customer firewalls, security suites, troubleshoot network issues, install and configure equipment in data centres and much more.

I left school at 18 before finishing my A-Levels, to join said MSP as a trainee Service Desk Engineer. I left with only my AS levels (BBC) in Economics, ICT, and Computer Science. I had previously worked temporarily for the MSP in the Summer as a Service Desk Assistant and the previous summer as a support technician in a local hospital. I was largely able to attain this work due to gaining my CompTia A+ certification at 16 and experience with various personal projects. Since joining the company I’ve achieved a number of IT certifications such as Cisco CCNA, Sophos Certified Engineer and 3 Microsoft MTA’s (Server Admin, Network Fundamentals, Security fundamentals).

I really want to earn an IT related degree that will improve my eligibility for management positions in the future, I am unsure which course would be suited for this or how successful I would be in attempting to apply without my full A Levels. I also want to try and get away from where I live currently in the Channel Islands, it’s probably one of the most boring places to live as a young person with barely anything to do. Not many young people live here and most of my friends have left to travel, or study in the UK.

Could anyone advise me on courses that would suit my requirements and how I can increase my chances of an offer? How heavily will my IT certifications and industry experience influence my chances of an offer?

I am not very open to doing a access course; I’m anxious to get back into work as soon as possible and that would probably add an extra year to my studies. If there is a way to complete the second part of my AS Levels online I would be very keen to do it, however I’m doubtful that’s possible as they’ve phased them out from what I understand.

Thanks so much in advance!
Last edited by OSPF; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads