The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey I'm a grad in 2017 with a first in physiotherapy and I currently work in a major teaching hospital. This is my first time applying and I'm wondering if my UKCAT will be competitive enough for an interview?

I only got 662.5 in the UKCAT (2650 total) and was wondering if you think there is any point applying? Seems like a low score from what I have been reading :frown:
TSR has very inflated ukcat scores. i would apply to aberdeen, especially if you have a first. could apply to glasgow/edinburgh but that score is likely to be very close to the cut off, so it could go either way
hey - i'm applying here too, got a first in biology, havent done the ukcat yet though and did horrifically last year but heres hoping!
Original post by callumhughes1995
Hey I'm a grad in 2017 with a first in physiotherapy and I currently work in a major teaching hospital. This is my first time applying and I'm wondering if my UKCAT will be competitive enough for an interview?

I only got 662.5 in the UKCAT (2650 total) and was wondering if you think there is any point applying? Seems like a low score from what I have been reading :frown:

Hey there! I personally believe your score is not bad at all. Looking at previous years thread you'll see a lot of grads getting an interview with similar scores as you. If your academics are good I don't think it won't be a problem. Anyways, Best of luck!
Hey folks, I applied last year and was made an offer for medicine which I declined in the end, choosing Glasgow instead. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the application/interview process! And I hope this results day treated you all well :smile:
Original post by stealingcarbon
Hey folks, I applied last year and was made an offer for medicine which I declined in the end, choosing Glasgow instead. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the application/interview process! And I hope this results day treated you all well :smile:

Hello, what was your UKCAT score? :smile: I'd like to apply to Glasgow but I'm afraid I won't even get an interview.
Original post by dorotka7550
Hello, what was your UKCAT score? :smile: I'd like to apply to Glasgow but I'm afraid I won't even get an interview.

My ukcat was 685 Band 1, so 2740 altogether. Have you done your UKCAT yet?
My ukcat was 685 Band 1, so 2740 altogether. Have you done your UKCAT yet?

No, not yet. Next week. I'm struggling with VR a bit. And QR maybe but I've done QR from the books mostly, not from official UKCAT guide.
No, not yet. Next week. I'm struggling with VR a bit. And QR maybe but I've done QR from the books mostly, not from official UKCAT guide.

VR was my strongest section, and QR was my weakest! Though it's usually the other way around. What books are you using to prepare?
VR was my strongest section, and QR was my weakest! Though it's usually the other way around. What books are you using to prepare?

'How to master the UKCAT' - I don't really like it
'Score higher on UKCAT' - love it
and a book from medic portal
From what did you prepare? I've seen a lot of ppl recommend Medify, but I don't have enough money. I thought about buying tests from Medic Portal.
'How to master the UKCAT' - I don't really like it
'Score higher on UKCAT' - love it
and a book from medic portal
From what did you prepare? I've seen a lot of ppl recommend Medify, but I don't have enough money. I thought about buying tests from Medic Portal.

I have to say, Medify was the best for me - but you're not disadvantaged! You're doing your best, and I'm sure you'll do fine. What is it about VR you're struggling with?
I have to say, Medify was the best for me - but you're not disadvantaged! You're doing your best, and I'm sure you'll do fine. What is it about VR you're struggling with?

Thank you:smile:)))) I think it's the time I struggle with.
Thank you:smile:)))) I think it's the time I struggle with.

The time is the trickiest thing! All you can do is practice :smile: As a general rule, the QR in the exam is easier than in the books, and the VR is slightly more difficult. But the yearly average for VR is around 560-590 anyway, so don't feel bad if you don't get in the 600's!
Applying for Aberdeen for the second time, actually a graduate now with a high 2:1 in Psychology and 650 on UKCAT (700 in VR). Not sure if that UKCAT will be high enough, but feel like I might as well apply anyway!
First class in Physiology and 675 Band 1. Whats the likelihood of me getting an interview here?
2nd time applicant, 2.1 Genetics from Glasgow, now on Masters in Bioinformatics also from Glasgow. UKCAT this year: 755 avg, band 1. hopefully i will make it through this year.
Reply 17
Hi guys, I applied last year and received an offer. I had a 1st in Biomed and UKCAT average of 667 so it's deffo worth applying to Aberdeen! My A-level grades were shocking at CCD so I don't think Aberdeen take those into account for grads!
(edited 5 years ago)
Getting very nervous about applying, GAMSAT looming and then it's UCAS deadline time eek
Hello, thanks for your help.
I have achieved A*AA and 640 UKCAT. Will I have a good shot?