gradstar22
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi

So i graduated from law almost two years ago now. I have tried applying for secretary, admin and paralegal roles within firms but i have had no luck so far.

I have not completed my LPC as i wanted to get practical experience first. I am currently working in a hospital pharmacy which i enjoy but career prospects are not as great compared to a legal career. Also within pharmacy my degree is not much use in terms of progression, i would have to start from scratch.

Is the legal profession one of the hardest to get into compared to other professions as i know a couple of people in the same situation as me?

Do you know any other professions that might value a law degree?

Any useful tips and/or advice?
mariasanchez1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am so sorry you haven’t been able to find something you really really like career wise and that gives you good job progression prospects.

Breaking into law is hard, even harder if you didn’t had relevant legal work experience before you graduated, and you didn’t graduate from a uni that is really high up in league tables. However, a law degree is a very good and respectable degree to have.

I don’t have a lot of knowledge about to what roles you could apply for but I know for a fact that you could apply to banks, a law degree is useful when working in compliance, due diligence, etc. I know that because am a Law graduate that is doing that type of work for a bank.

Best of luck!
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gradstar22)
Hi

So i graduated from law almost two years ago now. I have tried applying for secretary, admin and paralegal roles within firms but i have had no luck so far.

I have not completed my LPC as i wanted to get practical experience first. I am currently working in a hospital pharmacy which i enjoy but career prospects are not as great compared to a legal career. Also within pharmacy my degree is not much use in terms of progression, i would have to start from scratch.

Is the legal profession one of the hardest to get into compared to other professions as i know a couple of people in the same situation as me?

Do you know any other professions that might value a law degree?

Any useful tips and/or advice?
The competitiveness of the legal profession depends on the area of law you are interested in, your location and willingness to relocate, and type of firm.

Not everyone finds a TC immediately. Sometimes it does take perseverance. A lot depends on your profile. Generally speaking, grades are an important factor. Legal experience is not a necessity to obtaining a TC. However, vac schemes can be an advantage for many reasons, but not a necessity as long as you have other things to show for your undergraduate years rather than just academics. Even a paralegal or secretary position can be hard to land in some areas with no practical experience.

You have several options. Target firms for some work experience, rather than employment as a first step. Alternatively try broadening your scope, at your starting point any office/admin experience would be a small step on the right track. Thirdly, consider relocating to a different area with more opportunities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads