Anyone here achieved an A/A* in A-Level Physics and/or Economics?

Watch
username4241818
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm looking for anyone who has achieved A or A*s in Physics or Economics as I am in dire need for subject specific assistance, if you have taken those A-Levels, or any other science, how did you manage to come away with solid grades, and what advice would you give to other including myself?
Shiv7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AnxiousStudent_1)
I'm looking for anyone who has achieved A or A*s in Physics or Economics as I am in dire need for subject specific assistance, if you have taken those A-Levels, or any other science, how did you manage to come away with solid grades, and what advice would you give to other including myself?
I'm currently in Year 13 doing Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Economics and I'm predicted 4A* in all of them + achieved A in Chemistry. Do you want to ask me anything?
username4241818
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Shiv7)
I'm currently in Year 13 doing Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Economics and I'm predicted 4A* in all of them + achieved A in Chemistry. Do you want to ask me anything?
Yes, quite a few questions actually. How are you revising Maths, and how could I get better at Maths? What is your essay technique like for Economics (specifically the 15 and 25 mark questions) and how are you managing to do well in Physics? I am fairly good at my subjects but I am struggling a lot in maintaining a good standard in them. Just a side interest too, what were your GCSE grades and what are you planning to do and which uni?
Shiv7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AnxiousStudent_1)
Yes, quite a few questions actually. How are you revising Maths, and how could I get better at Maths? What is your essay technique like for Economics (specifically the 15 and 25 mark questions) and how are you managing to do well in Physics? I am fairly good at my subjects but I am struggling a lot in maintaining a good standard in them. Just a side interest too, what were your GCSE grades and what are you planning to do and which uni?
Right okay. In terms of Mathematics, my exam board is Edexcel and I'm doing the new specification. My teachers do teach the topics quite well which ensures I understand the core basics as soon as I've left the classroom. I would recommend doing as many of the exam questions from the textbook as you can as and when you learn each topic. Try and find past paper question banks arranged by topics again as and when you learn each topic and have a go at them. Physics and Maths Tutor and Dr Frost Maths are both quite good in terms of resources. Practice is key to getting better. If you find something hard or confusing, make sure you go over STRAIGHT AWAY. Don't leave it till later. Try and look over the topic as soon as you learn it and if there's something you don't understand, ask your teachers straight away. Essentially do as many questions as you can making sure you understand the theory behind each question.
Economics, I'm with OCR. Spend approximately 5 minutes planning your essay out. This is crucial in order to write a good answer. Plan out an introduction with definitions, a main body including advantages and disadvantages (balanced argument) and a conclusion making sure you answer the actual question and come to a judgement. Evaluation is key, this is where A* students stand out the most. Strengthen your evaluations and learn how you can play around with the diagrams. You can practice this quite easily. Have a go at past paper essay questions. Don't bother with the 1/2/3/4 markers as these are simple. Do these essay questions as and when you learn the topics again. Practice of writing is crucial here. Make sure you show them to your teacher and ask them to give you feedback.
Physics I'm with AQA. Again, this is similar to maths. Just have a go at a wide range of questions based on the topics you have just learnt. I'd recommend making sure you know formula derivations and how these formulas work. This will help in solving all the mathematical questions which form a majority of Physics and also help you understand the basic theory behind each concept which will.help you on the written questions which is where many students slip up.
I got 10A* at GCSE and I'm applying to read Economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
16.08%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (62)
31.16%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (24)
12.06%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.04%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (51)
25.63%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed