Young Brits Talk Monarchy... The future's looking dim (opinion chat) Watch

ChesterWill Son
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've recently been introduced to a British exchange student at my uni and it didn't take long for Brexit (and all that jazz) to come up and ruin the atmosphere! Some non-Brits of our dorm (myself included) tried to veer off the topic by saying how cool we think the monarchy is and how great its doing... But not the Brit!!! He said that any future sovereign will have a tough time stepping out of the shadow of the current Queen therefore he/she should abdicate so not to embarras the monarchy further. I personally think that its a terrible idea and would hate to realize that most young Brits shouldn't feel it with me. Is there really such a dycotomy in the way the young/old generations in Britain perceive the monarchy?! Please clarify.
hello_shawn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The queen has had the British throne since 1952, a time when several countries were still British colonies. Without the queen, those countries may see the British monarchy very much differently. Some might say the queen's death will destroy Britain, not brexit
RockFlagandEagle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Most I know don't care enough about the monarchy to have it abolished.
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well Charles isnt exactly radiating charisma, people from other countries care more about the monarchy than British people do because they have some weird quaint view of it
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Most young British people don't really care much about the monarchy at all. It's really just old people that care about them but young people generally don't. They live off our tax money and don't really do anything lol. However I do think they're valuable because they bring tourism and act as ambassadors so meh. Lots of people believe they should be abolished though.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ChesterWill Son)
I've recently been introduced to a British exchange student at my uni and it didn't take long for Brexit (and all that jazz) to come up and ruin the atmosphere! Some non-Brits of our dorm (myself included) tried to veer off the topic by saying how cool we think the monarchy is and how great its doing... But not the Brit!!! He said that any future sovereign will have a tough time stepping out of the shadow of the current Queen therefore he/she should abdicate so not to embarras the monarchy further. I personally think that its a terrible idea and would hate to realize that most young Brits shouldn't feel it with me. Is there really such a dycotomy in the way the young/old generations in Britain perceive the monarchy?! Please clarify.
I'd not be too worried. Although Republicanism is more popular among the young it is still a substantial minority opinion and you only have to look at viewing figures for the Royal Weddings to see how interested people still are. Harry and Meghan were watched by 16 million people across the BBC and ITV, more than the FA Cup final.

The monarchy will most likely survive past 2050 once William and Kate become monarchs.
bjt1882
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
Most young British people don't really care much about the monarchy at all. It's really just old people that care about them but young people generally don't. They live off our tax money and don't really do anything lol. However I do think they're valuable because they bring tourism and act as ambassadors so meh. Lots of people believe they should be abolished though.
Agree with the first part, not the second. Relatively few people actually come to the UK due to the present day monarchy. Surveys suggest they come instead for our rich history, castles and buildings. Do you not think we should have a say over who the ambassadors that represent our country are?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Well Charles isnt exactly radiating charisma
And the Queen is?
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
And the Queen is?
No but she's been on the throne so long that she has that nostalgia and wise persona that old people like.
Ben878 (LfL)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think the change of time is the big factor here - HMt Queen started off in an era where the commonwealth countries still looked up at Britain as an important gameplayer, national service was still active (until 1960) and added a drive for being nationalistic, and it was even common to have a portrait of the monarch in the average household. She has been granted a lot of continued respect that still exists today due to the previous era(s). However, I do think she is a fairly decent focus point for the population, eg compared to current/previous political figures.

So the continued respect for her is going to disappear for the next monarch due to the huge change of timeperiod and future potentials likely won't be seen as a figure worthy of high respect/focus point due to their current images, which is just going to give space for the problems about monarchy in general to rise up more...
Last edited by Ben878 (LfL); 3 months ago
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bjt1882)
Agree with the first part, not the second. Relatively few people actually come to the UK due to the present day monarchy. Surveys suggest they come instead for our rich history, castles and buildings. Do you not think we should have a say over who the ambassadors that represent our country are?
You make a fair point however the royal family is a part of the historical appeal of the UK. I feel that tourists like the timeless appeal of the royal family. I can't argue with the point about choosing our ambassadors though but I think the argument that the royal family "do nothing" is not really true because they are ambassadors.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
and Queen Camilla yay !
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The monarchy will always be relevant (or I hope it does), the young are still interested in the monarchy, they are a figurehead for the British people

Take your republican ideas and kindly ship them over to France
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ChesterWill Son)
He was one person.

The Queen is an institution within an institution and has done an amazing job.
The monarchy is kept on a tight enough leash and they have a generation of younger royals ready to take over.
The alternative is a president and am not sure the UK wants that.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Personally, I think Britain should keep the monarchy because I think a parliamentary monarchy is a good political system.

It means we have a national figurehead & head of state who is completely apolitical and non-divisive, and isn't instated through bitterly-fought elections.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
bjt1882
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
You make a fair point however the royal family is a part of the historical appeal of the UK. I feel that tourists like the timeless appeal of the royal family. I can't argue with the point about choosing our ambassadors though but I think the argument that the royal family "do nothing" is not really true because they are ambassadors.
That is a perfectly valid observation, but for me it's more of a moral issue than a pragmatic one. I'd rather lose a tiny bit (emhasis on the fact that nobody knows in actuality how much of an impact it will have) of our tourism industry, and have a true meritocracy and equality of opportunity, than have the kind of aristocratic, herirachial system that the monarchy represents.
bjt1882
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Personally, I think Britain should keep the monarchy because I think a parliamentary monarchy is a good political system.

It means we have a national figurehead & head of state who is completely apolitical and non-divisive, and isn't instated through bitterly-fought elections.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-memos-in-full

The monarchy are not apolitical. Whilst I do admittedly agree with his views on the environment etc., he has no right due to his inhereted status to influence the political sphere, anymore than anyone else.
ChesterWill Son
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
He was one person.

The Queen is an institution within an institution and has done an amazing job.
The monarchy is kept on a tight enough leash and they have a generation of younger royals ready to take over.
The alternative is a president and am not sure the UK wants that.
tnx for restoring hope
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (26)
11.06%
Yes - a food allergy (24)
10.21%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (7)
2.98%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (8)
3.4%
No (170)
72.34%

Watched Threads