The Student Room Group

Is malaysia a country?

Scroll to see replies

Yay, Malaysia, the best disguised Muslim tyranny in the world.
Hm?

OP, you have the Chinese flag on your profile which prrrobably suggests either Chinese nationality or an interest in China*, either of which would, I reckon, usually indicate at least basic knowledge of South East Asia. Then again, I would have thought that everyone knew at least that Malaysia was a country (everyone on TSR, I mean - stuff like that is basic general knowledge and we mostly at school/uni here... :|). And also, like everyone has said, wikipedia would have taken approx. one second.

Anyway I just wondered whether it was actually a thread designed to start an argument with indignant Malaysians. (Although it seems like loads of Malaysians don't think much of their country anyway (there was a site called something like www.malaysiasucks.com but it got taken down).) Because if it was, you guys have ruined it by arguing about what to call the UK (or? :wink: ) and the Netherlands (OR?!).

Ermm... anyway, maybe some Chinese students/enthusiasts really don't know that Malaysia's a country. In which case you don't need to read to page 5 to find out, but it is. :smile:

*Whooops, just realised I don't fulfil either of my criteria for my own flag, but I assume that looking at its bright colours, anyone would be able to guess that I chose it for its beauty. Besides, I know about the countries of Africa.
Ian Douglas Smith GCLM ID

Certainly they don't seem very keen on people converting, do they? And some states follow Sharia Law.

Not that it's really much to do with us any more.
Reply 83
gbduo
By the commonwealth I meant Gibraltar, Virgin Islands, etc. Not strictly the commonwealth but crown dependencies/directly governed by Westminster.

Yes, but that's not the commonwealth. In cases like these you need to more careful with words.

However, Gibraltar, the Falklands, the British Virgin Islands and the other rocky terriroties we still own are usually no more part of the UK than the Isle of Man and Jersey. Which aren't part of the United Kingdom.

Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands etc. are overseas territories. The Isle of Man and Channel Islands are crown dependencies. They are not officially part of the United Kingdom.

So you're still wrong.

gbduo
It is an official name, it is on the front of the British Passport!.

Erm. No it's not. Not on mine anyway. It uses the official name "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

gbduo
They are interchangeable, but do mean different things. UK is more commonly used now in Int'l politics, but certainly still in the financial world, Great Britain is still used (Great British Pounds).!.

Yes. I didn't deny that. It still doesn't make it its official name though.

gbduo
As I have said what I mean British Isles to mean, and you agree, we shall go by that definition.

Well, the Irish blood in me doesn't really agree with it but I suppose we'll leave it.
Is this a troll? :s

Can't say I'm that surprised though, I know people that think Africa is a country :eek:
Reply 85
hazzypants
LOL i'm doing it at the moment. I'm a bit of a Geog nerd, but lots of people in my class are getting A*s with little strain. It's just general knowlege tbh, and being able to write well.

lol, God i wish you well with that course, it will piss you off for sure, but i agree it is about just knowing how to write well.. i think thats what helped me, considering in the DME paper, i lost all sense of time and forgot to do a whole section of the paper, so in the last 3 mins i wrote ANYTHING..and tah dah!! lol
good luck with it man :smile:
Reply 86

now now lets not get into that drama.
I would think you would be very inclined to get into it if you lived there and were non-Malay.
Reply 88
River85
Yes, but that's not the commonwealth. In cases like these you need to more careful with words.

However, Gibraltar, the Falklands, the British Virgin Islands and the other rocky terriroties we still own are usually no more part of the UK than the Isle of Man and Jersey. Which aren't part of the United Kingdom.

Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands etc. are overseas territories. The Isle of Man and Channel Islands are crown dependencies. They are not officially part of the United Kingdom.

So you're still wrong.

Erm. No it's not. Not on mine anyway. It uses the official name "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Yes. I didn't deny that. It still doesn't make it its official name though.

Well, the Irish blood in me doesn't really agree with it but I suppose we'll leave it.

Fair enough.

You are Irish? Where are you from? I was born just outside Dublin but grew up in Berkshire, so fake Irish really! Only Irish by passport.
AnythingButChardonnay
Certainly they don't seem very keen on people converting, do they? And some states follow Sharia Law.

Not that it's really much to do with us any more.

Well, quite. It's not really much to do with Britain anymore, but it was a downright shame that the independence referendum polls for Sarawak and North Borneo were rigged.
Reply 90
I would think you would be very inclined to get into it if you lived there and were non-Malay.

i am a non malay person, im british brown :smile:
My famo have been there, they loved it :biggrin:
Reply 91
gbduo
Fair enough.

You are Irish? Where are you from? I was born just outside Dublin but grew up in Berkshire, so fake Irish really! Only Irish by passport.

No. Sorry, I didn't mean to give them impression I'm Irish as I'm not. I was born in Northumberland and I live in Northumberland (almost). I go to uni in Durham. But six of my eight great grandparents were Irish so you don't need to go too far back.

I have strong Irish ancestry (as most do I suppose) and descended from Scottish nobility/royalty don't you know. :biggrin:
Rofl, great for tourists. Great country for tourism. By your name I'm going to assume you're a Muslim, which means you'd be treated very, very well in M'sia. As I said, for non-Malays in Malay Occupied Territories, its quite the opposite.
Well, quite. It's not really much to do with Britain anymore, but it was a downright shame that the independence referendum polls for Sarawak and North Borneo were rigged.

I've not heard of that before!

What were the rules on the referendum passing? Was it a simple majority thing, or a majority of states (if they existed before independence)? Is there any way of me doing further reading on this - I'm rather ignorant of Malay(si)a!
Reply 94
River85
No. Sorry, I didn't mean to give them impression I'm Irish as I'm not. I was born in Northumberland and I live in Northumberland (almost). I go to uni in Durham. But six of my eight great grandparents were Irish so you don't need to go too far back.

I have strong Irish ancestry (as most do I suppose) and descended from Scottish nobility/royalty don't you know. :biggrin:

oh how posh!

Sorry to have troubled you, m'Lord
Reply 95
AnythingButChardonnay

What were the rules on the referendum passing? Was it a simple majority thing, or a majority of states (if they existed before independence)? Is there any way of me doing further reading on this - I'm rather ignorant of Malay(si)a!

Why are you calling it Malaya? That has not been it's name for 45 years now. It is called Malaysia.
Kashya
Why are you calling it Malaya? That has not been it's name for 45 years now. It is called Malaysia.

I'm talking about it in both it's pre and post-independence state.

Hence the "si" in brackets.
Reply 97
gbduo
oh how posh!

Sorry to have troubled you, m'Lord

No trouble peasent :smile:

Although, on the "noble" side my grandfather was a clerk. His father was a miner and his father was a miner. So erm, quite proleteriat.

I have as much Border reiver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_reiver) in me than nobility (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_Castle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Irvine).

Oh, I can also count Lord Byron (the poet) as an ancestor also. Somehow.

I'm really quite common unfortunately,I just don't like to admit it.

But really, I didn't mean to give the impression I was Irish. In fact, rather embarrisngly I haven't been there at all. I was supposed to go to Dublin and Cork a couple of years back but it didn't work out. Probably next summer now and go along the west coast.
AnythingButChardonnay

Well, I'll ask my dad next time I go there because he only told me the basics last time.

In Malaysia you have three ex countries; Malaya/Federated Malay States, which is the mainland, and then on the island of Borneo you had British North Borneo (this is where my father's from) and the White Raj of Sarawak. BNB is modern Sabah and Sarawak is modern... well, Sarawak. All three of those formed together to create modern day Malaysia, Sarawak and Sabah at least by choice via referendum.

In Malaya, the predominant race is Malay and their religion is Islam. However, in Sarawak and British North Borneo you have a large number of indigenous non-Muslims and Sinos, who are very popular with the local indigenous people. If you want to look up an indigenous group, the largest is the Kadazan/dusun, which is my father's race (and thus, half mine.) Now, when Malaya joined with BNB and Sarawak to create Malaysia, the Malays began to take control of all political establishments. Here's an article from Wiki which explains it briefly.

Sabah entered Malaysia as an autonomous state with a Christian Kadazan-Dusun chief minister, but soon succumbed to Kuala Lumpur's vision of a one-party unitary Islamic state dominated by the indigenous Muslim Bajau and Brunei Malay people. This has created considerable friction and even occasional calls for secession. These tensions are further inflamed by Kuala Lumpur's colonial mentality towards Sabah, wherein 95% of the profits from Sabah's immense natural resources are taken by the federal government, leaving the state government with only 5%. Aside from nominally separate immigration controls, little evidence remains of Sabah's theoretical autonomy.

The situation is similar in Sarawak.

By the way, immigration is barely under Sabahan indigenous people's control because political power lies in the hands of the Malays. What they do is bring in immigrants from Indonesia, Malaya and Phillipines who are Muslim and use them as political tools and also to slowly eradicate the non-Muslims. Border control is such a problem that last year when I went, we were going to go to the beach but couldn't because a group of Fillipino drug dealers were angry and, armed with mil-spec weaponry were patrolling the shores looking for revenge after several of their number were shot dead by police. The Army is too scared of them to clean them up. I can tell you for a fact this was not the case when the British ruled North Borneo.

When Sabahan Kadazan leaders were flying en-route to Kuala Lumpur in the 70s, their plane magically dissapeared and fell into the ocean. Recently the Sarawak Parliament was banned from even discussing secession.

Considering that Sabah and Sarawak is controlled by a Malay political party (Barisan National) and is taxed incredibly high, frankly I can't help but make a connection to the American revolution - no taxation without representation.

Now, according to my father, who is a somewhat reliable source (a Lawyer who owns more books than his local Library) the referendum polls for independence were rigged by the Malays. According to him, nobody really wanted independence, and in Sarawak crowds of natives cried when the White Raj left.

We were at a relatives once were observing a landing light which looked like anti-air fire. Someone said "Look out lah, it's the Japanese again." Another person replies "Even better lah, hopefully the British."

(By the way, the Malays are NOT indigenous to Borneo, on which both
Sarawak and Sabah is located. They are an invader race attempting a cultural and religious genocide of the native people there.)

Sorry if that's a bit too complicated. There's alot to digest there :tongue:

I don't think there are many books you can read on the subject; this is, after all, the plight of half a million people, and nobody cares. However, I would suggest you read Land Below the Wind by Agnes Keith; its her time in North Borneo pre-war and an extremely interesting read for an avid colonialist.
Well, I'll ask my dad next time I go there because he only told me the basics last time.

In Malaysia you have three ex countries; Malaya/Federated Malay States, which is the mainland, and then on the island of Borneo you had British North Borneo (this is where my father's from) and the White Raj of Sarawak. BNB is modern Sabah and Sarawak is modern... well, Sarawak. All three of those formed together to create modern day Malaysia, Sarawak and Sabah at least by choice via referendum.

In Malaya, the predominant race is Malay and their religion is Islam. However, in Sarawak and British North Borneo you have a large number of indigenous non-Muslims and Sinos, who are very popular with the local indigenous people. If you want to look up an indigenous group, the largest is the Kadazan/dusun, which is my father's race (and thus, half mine.) Now, when Malaya joined with BNB and Sarawak to create Malaysia, the Malays began to take control of all political establishments. Here's an article from Wiki which explains it briefly.

Sabah entered Malaysia as an autonomous state with a Christian Kadazan-Dusun chief minister, but soon succumbed to Kuala Lumpur's vision of a one-party unitary Islamic state dominated by the indigenous Muslim Bajau and Brunei Malay people. This has created considerable friction and even occasional calls for secession. These tensions are further inflamed by Kuala Lumpur's colonial mentality towards Sabah, wherein 95% of the profits from Sabah's immense natural resources are taken by the federal government, leaving the state government with only 5%. Aside from nominally separate immigration controls, little evidence remains of Sabah's theoretical autonomy.

The situation is similar in Sarawak.

By the way, immigration is barely under Sabahan indigenous people's control because political power lies in the hands of the Malays. What they do is bring in immigrants from Indonesia, Malaya and Phillipines who are Muslim and use them as political tools and also to slowly eradicate the non-Muslims. Border control is such a problem that last year when I went, we were going to go to the beach but couldn't because a group of Fillipino drug dealers were angry and, armed with mil-spec weaponry were patrolling the shores looking for revenge after several of their number were shot dead by police. The Army is too scared of them to clean them up. I can tell you for a fact this was not the case when the British ruled North Borneo.

When Sabahan Kadazan leaders were flying en-route to Kuala Lumpur in the 70s, their plane magically dissapeared and fell into the ocean. Recently the Sarawak Parliament was banned from even discussing secession.

Considering that Sabah and Sarawak is controlled by a Malay political party (Barisan National) and is taxed incredibly high, frankly I can't help but make a connection to the American revolution - no taxation without representation.

Now, according to my father, who is a somewhat reliable source (a Lawyer who owns more books than his local Library) the referendum polls for independence were rigged by the Malays. According to him, nobody really wanted independence, and in Sarawak crowds of natives cried when the White Raj left.

(By the way, the Malays are NOT indigenous to Borneo, on which both
Sarawak and Sabah is located. They are an invader race attempting a cultural and religious genocide of the native people there.)

Sorry if that's a bit too complicated. There's alot to digest there :tongue:

I don't think there are many books you can read on the subject; this is, after all, the plight of half a million people, and nobody cares. However, I would suggest you read Land Below the Wind by Agnes Keith; its her time in North Borneo pre-war and an extremely interesting read for an avid colonialist.

It is such a shame when, for whatever reason, we left when we were actually wanted. I really appreciate the time you spent typing that, and will certainly read up on it. Thank you for the book. I probably could be described as an avid colonialist - and I don't care what people think!

I take a particular interest in the colonies where we were really popular and yet, for whatever reason, it went wrong. I'm sure I would more so if I had a relative from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending