AS or EPQ? Watch

ilsamck
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m in year 11 and choosing my a levels, I’ve already decided on english lit, PRE (philosophy religion ethics) and psychology. Would it be better to do an fourth subject and drop it at AS or do an epq?

I want to go to university for english or possibly counselling if that helps, hopefully a russel group uni
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
nightisdark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
in our school, you do EPQ in year 13 once you've dropped the fourth subject. does your sixth form not offer this?
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It's probably better to do an EPQ as most A level courses (apart from modular ones like maths) are linear (you won't get any AS mark as you're graded at the end of A2). I don't see the point in picking AS subject just to drop it and get nothing from it. An EPQ, however, you will get a grade for and it will show on your academic record; If you get a good grade doing an EPQ about English, in your case, then that's great as you've shown initiative and great research skills through an EPQ.
oktea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by ilsamck)
I’m in year 11 and choosing my a levels, I’ve already decided on english lit, PRE (philosophy religion ethics) and psychology. Would it be better to do an fourth subject and drop it at AS or do an epq?

I want to go to university for english or possibly counselling if that helps, hopefully a russel group uni
I'd say EPQ. Especially if you tailor it to your chosen future career. I did one and its was a great change from my others subjects. I'd really recommend it. Also if you know what you want, practise it. Then in interviews or whatever, you can say "I did this as my EPQ Now I know this is what I want to do."

Unis especially seem to like the whole over enthusiastic convinced students ( imean they would)

It looks better as you have to organise your learning, your control the degree. Another AS is another sign like all your Alevels will be "I can do exams! I can memorize" ect ect

An EPQ shouts "I can organise my learning, I can find a subject im interesting in, I can write an essay, I can do what ever you do and really important for unis? I can research, I can reference, I can do independent learning. Big pick me signs.
ilsamck
Rep:
?
(Original post by nightisdark)
in our school, you do EPQ in year 13 once you've dropped the fourth subject. does your sixth form not offer this?
no i don’t think it does
ilsamck
Rep:
?
(Original post by Assembly)
It's probably better to do an EPQ as most A level courses (apart from modular ones like maths) are linear (you won't get any AS mark as you're graded at the end of A2). I don't see the point in picking AS subject just to drop it and get nothing from it. An EPQ, however, you will get a grade for and it will show on your academic record; If you get a good grade doing an EPQ about English, in your case, then that's great as you've shown initiative and great research skills through an EPQ.
thank you! i was thinking of doing music if i did an AS, as my school said you get graded for AS music at the end of year 12, but I’m not sure if it would help me as I don’t want to go into a career in music. Would epq still be more helpful?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads