Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    New thread for applicants for the Game Art Course beginning in 2019.

Link to last years (Lots of good info) : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...light=game+art

De Montfort's advice on Game Art Portfolios: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/documents/tech...guide-2017.pdf

I am applying too, just in case you thought I was actually being altruistically helpful.

ReputationRep:
    God I'm just relieved someone else on this platform is applying too, I haven't found much discussion about 2019-2020 applications. I'm currently working on compiling that darned portfolio. How far have you gotten in your application??

ReputationRep:
    UCAS is currently with my referee, waiting to be sent. Currently working on my portfolio here : https://samskelly.artstation.com/ , I'm not sure about the watercolour set, it's a few years old and is a bit too loose, considering a big focus is on accurate technical skill.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i'm a current first year at dmu game art so if you have any questions about the application/interview process, or just questions in general feel free to dm me

ReputationRep:
    Glad to know others are interested in applying :0
    The portfolio is my biggest worry now- I'm scared my quality of work isn't high enough xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eitsu)
    Glad to know others are interested in applying :0
    The portfolio is my biggest worry now- I'm scared my quality of work isn't high enough xD
    Willing to share your portfolio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmiskelly)
    Willing to share your portfolio?
    I'm still finalizing what I want to include but as soon as I'm done, I can share some parts.
    But with your portfolio I checked it out and it looks good! How many pieces are you going to have in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eitsu)
    I'm still finalizing what I want to include but as soon as I'm done, I can share some parts.
    But with your portfolio I checked it out and it looks good! How many pieces are you going to have in it?
    I believe the limit is 10 for the digital portfolio, so I've got some more observational pieces to add and maybe one photoshop painting, as well as another life drawing sheet, which I just uploaded (I dont like the quality of the image but stitching together A4 scans for an A3 sheet are a pain, Ill do it later)

ReputationRep:
    The Skull looks amazing, make sure to have a variety of different materials you've worked with to show your able to work in different mediums!

ReputationRep:
    Got my UCAS sent off finally and have two weeks to submit my digital portfolio. I'm a little bit confused as to how many pieces it should have, Obviously 20 for the full portfolio, but not exactly clear on if theres a specific limit for the digital portfolio "strongest pieces in your overall portfolio". I don't remember where I got the 10 figure from, but for now I'll stick to it.

ReputationRep:
    Got my UCAS sent off finally and have two weeks to submit my digital portfolio. I'm a little bit confused as to how many pieces it should have, Obviously 20 for the full portfolio, but not exactly clear on if theres a specific limit for the digital portfolio "strongest pieces in your overall portfolio". I don't remember where I got the 10 figure from, but for now I'll stick to it.
    Gotta send mine in by next Monday... Sooooooo nervous!

ReputationRep:
    Also a 1st year, was active in the last years thread good luck with the applications! Feel free to pm me or ask if you need some help.

ReputationRep:
    Another week before I have to send my portfolio, hopefully will have it sent before then, almost halfway through!

https://samskelly.artstation.com/albums/1170532 Opinions?

Scanning big sheets on an A4 scanner is probably more work than any of the art was tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nin-kaii)
    Also a 1st year, was active in the last years thread good luck with the applications! Feel free to pm me or ask if you need some help.
    Hi! I sent in my digital portfolio this weekend, yet even before sending it in I was given a conditional offer of 120 UCAS points. I feel really confident in my portfolio but really anxious in my grades, Do the points really matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllyIllusionist)
    Hi! I sent in my digital portfolio this weekend, yet even before sending it in I was given a conditional offer of 120 UCAS points. I feel really confident in my portfolio but really anxious in my grades, Do the points really matter?
    A little disclaimer - I'm not 100% certain how much they take grades into account, and I am not speaking on behalf of dmu but from my own perspecitve.

You really shouldn't worry, your protfolio matters more than anything else in your application. Grades help but at the end of the day the quality of your work is the key. If your art is good that's all that matters Even so, I found that A levels are easier than they look. So relax and just do your best this year.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I think I had like 30 in my digital portfolio, an I just bought everything I had for the interview... yea I went a little over but I just had so many things! Don't do that haha

Another week before I have to send my portfolio, hopefully will have it sent before then, almost halfway through!

https://samskelly.artstation.com/albums/1170532 Opinions?

Scanning big sheets on an A4 scanner is probably more work than any of the art was tbh.
    Looking nice! I would say definetly if you have more detailed pencil drawigns, include those over the watercolour peices. (if you don't have any just leave them) If you still have the time try to do something with colour but more technical.

ReputationRep:
    I've finally sent my UCAS application off- I have up until January to send in my digital portfolio.

I've started uploading my stuff, still got quite a bit to put in though lmao:

https://www.artstation.com/eitsu

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I haven't sent my UCAS off yet (I'm really pushing it this year) but I have an Artstation that I'm going to upload my digital portfolio to:

https://www.artstation.com/beaherrera

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaebird)
    Hey guys, I haven't sent my UCAS off yet (I'm really pushing it this year) but I have an Artstation that I'm going to upload my digital portfolio to:https://www.artstation.com/beaherrera
    Wooah your work is amazing!!!! What artists did you study for your final piece?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllyIllusionist)
    Wooah your work is amazing!!!! What artists did you study for your final piece?
    Ahh thank you!! My office piece was mainly inspired by John Bratby and the kitchen sink painters! I wanted to focus on the mundanity of routines and office work :~)

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.