The Student Room Group

British Physics Olympiad 2018

I didn't see a thread for this and thought some keen ones might appreciate somewhere to discuss prep/ questions

How has everyone been prepping? (if you're bothered at all haha). Personally I have not really done well in the past challenges due to not doing any preparation, so I've decided to actually try this time.

Instruction letter for 2018 (I think they've made it 100 marks in 2h 45min, so a bit more time pressure):
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeBrevitateVitae
I didn't see a thread for this and thought some keen ones might appreciate somewhere to discuss prep/ questions

How has everyone been prepping? (if you're bothered at all haha). Personally I have not really done well in the past challenges due to not doing any preparation, so I've decided to actually try this time.

Instruction letter for 2018 (I think they've made it 100 marks in 2h 45min, so a bit more time pressure):

do you happen to have the answers to the 2017 paper? When they updated the website they got rid of the mark scheme and my teachers don't have the mark scheme either :frown:(
good luck!
Original post by jokesonjexi
do you happen to have the answers to the 2017 paper? When they updated the website they got rid of the mark scheme and my teachers don't have the mark scheme either :frown:(
good luck!

No sorry; it is a bit annoying that they removed it. Good luck to you too!
Did any of you get into round 2?
Original post by graecusthegreek

Idk, although I predict my teachers won't tell us until January - I don't have lessons next week and they're not organised enough to send emails about this lol

Did you get in? Congrats if so!

Edit I got Gold but not top 100 I think
I'm a bit disappointed but not sad at all. I've been prepping for months and it has paid off (my physics teacher's words: 'first time anyone from our school has come so far' (since they started doing BPhO) - (my school is GREAT lmao)
The email they sent also said they let 1000 Chinese ppl take part, idk what that's on about (i'm British-Chinese and I know actual Chinese ppl send their kids to camps and stuff for this, so it's hardly fair)
Original post by DeBrevitateVitae
Edit I got Gold but not top 100 I think
I'm a bit disappointed but not sad at all. I've been prepping for months and it has paid off (my physics teacher's words: 'first time anyone from our school has come so far' (since they started doing BPhO) - (my school is GREAT lmao)
The email they sent also said they let 1000 Chinese ppl take part, idk what that's on about (i'm British-Chinese and I know actual Chinese ppl send their kids to camps and stuff for this, so it's hardly fair)

hey that’s awesome! it sucks you didn’t get to the next round though ):
So apparently I got into the top 100 and thus round 2, which was quite surprising given I never did any preparation for it. I'm not sure how much I'll prepare for the second round given BMO2 is only a few days before it.
Original post by Kaskade24
So apparently I got into the top 100 and thus round 2, which was quite surprising given I never did any preparation for it. I'm not sure how much I'll prepare for the second round given BMO2 is only a few days before it.

Good luck!
Reply 9
I also get top 100 gold any idea how to prepare for it?
Original post by ecoks.ho
I also get top 100 gold any idea how to prepare for it?

I’m just doing past papers! You should’ve been sent a syllabus too so go through that as well I suppose :smile:) good luck!
I looked at the syllabus and I think it is quite vague. As if just everything in A Level and plus a few extra bits like relativity and boltzmann factor. I will be doing pastpaper from 2011 onwards cuz before that there are no answers lol
I’m just doing past papers! You should’ve been sent a syllabus too so go through that as well I suppose :smile:) good luck!

I didn't know there was a set syllabus? I thought it was pretty much the A level syllabus. If it's on the internet somewhere would you mind sharing the link?
My teacher forwarded this to me
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12tt6w63z-YPcsgWlw3zD6DpmhYYynttv/view?usp=sharing
Original post by Kaskade24
I didn't know there was a set syllabus? I thought it was pretty much the A level syllabus. If it's on the internet somewhere would you mind sharing the link?
anyone done it today? if so, how much did you answer
Anyone know when will they announce the result for round 2?
Original post by ecoks.ho
Anyone know when will they announce the result for round 2?

still waiting buddy ): I’ve emailed robin Hughes and will post an update once he replies
let us know if anyone gets email with invite to training camp
I just got my result from my teacher. I got Silver.

Quick Reply

Trending

Trending