crystallinedrops
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm thinking of going into a specific surgical specialty but it's highly competitive and I was wondering what other ST3s (besides surgical ones) I could apply for with CST rather than CMT? I think anaesthetics is one, are there any others?
crystallinedrops
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
A lot of surgical specialties at ST3 is actually less competitive than going into CST at CT1. I don't know why you are so pessimistic!

(e.g. for 2018 entry, CST CT1 was 2.94 to 1; T&O ST3 was 2.88 to 1; Urology ST3 was 2.66 to 1; General and Vascular surgery was 1.54 to 1)

You are right that you can do anaesthetics after CST of course. Have you thought about locuming? What do you want to do?
I want to go into T&O and 2.88:1 is still quite competitive ): That's why I'm trying to look for alternatives, and I don't want to locum because I just want to get into an ST3 programme as soon as possible after finishing so my training doesn't take ages.Thanks for replying!
Last edited by crystallinedrops; 1 year ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by crystallinedrops)
So I'm thinking of going into a specific surgical specialty but it's highly competitive and I was wondering what other ST3s (besides surgical ones) I could apply for with CST rather than CMT? I think anaesthetics is one, are there any others?
A&E:

https://www.rcem.ac.uk/RCEM/Exams_Tr...es/DRE-EM.aspx

I'm not aware that you can apply for anaesthetics ST3 direct from CST - do you have a source for this by any chance? It sounds very unlikely.

Although it's not a direct transfer to ST3, I think some surgeons finish CST and then switch to histopathology or radiology - both of which are five year run-through training programmes so equivalent to starting at ST3 (in terms of timing, not pay ).
Last edited by Democracy; 1 year ago
crystallinedrops
Rep:
?
:yes: I thought so too, the person specification says: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk...esia%20ST3.pdf (Page 3 stated additional requirements = CST / CMT etc.)

It stated in Page 2 for ST3 anaesthetics:

• Have [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]by time of intended start date of which at least eighteen months is in Anaesthetics.

:dontknow:
Yeah that struck me as odd as well lol. So A&E and anaesthetics I guess....thanks for the help!
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:yes: I thought so too, until I read the person specification: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk...esia%20ST3.pdf (Page 3)
Well...that person specification doesn't state that you can transfer to anaesthetics ST3 having only done core surgical training, with no prior anaesthetics/ICM experience (which is all the OP has told us so far). It, does, however, also specify the necessary anaesthetics/ICM/FRCA criteria you need to meet, very little of which can be gained in Core Surgical Training surely?

I think what you're referring to on page 3 is only listed as "desirable criteria"?

I really don't think CST alone can be used as a direct route to reg level anaesthetics...
Last edited by Democracy; 1 year ago
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You definitely cannot do ST3 Anaesthetics without doing either Core Anaesthetic Training OR ACCS Anaesthetics. Imagine being the Anaesthetics Reg without being able to intubate!

You also have to have done the Primary FRCA before you can apply for ST3 Anaesthetics, and you’re not allowed to sit the Primary FRCA OSCE/SOE until you’ve done your IAC (Initial Assessment of Competence - it’s what all Novice Anaeshetists do in their first 3 months of Anaesthetics Training where they’re literally not allowed to be left on their own at any time).

If you want to do Anaesthetics you’ll have to start from CT1 again
crystallinedrops
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
You definitely cannot do ST3 Anaesthetics without doing either Core Anaesthetic Training OR ACCS Anaesthetics. Imagine being the Anaesthetics Reg without being able to intubate!

You also have to have done the Primary FRCA before you can apply for ST3 Anaesthetics, and you’re not allowed to sit the Primary FRCA OSCE/SOE until you’ve done your IAC (Initial Assessment of Competence - it’s what all Novice Anaeshetists do in their first 3 months of Anaesthetics Training where they’re literally not allowed to be left on their own at any time).

OK, thanks for the info.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Yes, exactly.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to go into T&O and 2.88:1 is still quite competitive ): That's why I'm trying to look for alternatives, and I don't want to locum because I just want to get into an ST3 programme as soon as possible after finishing so my training doesn't take ages.Thanks for replying!
Last year it was somewhat closer to 1.6:1. If you're coming direct from CT2 it's even higher.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

This is exactly what I came here to say. CST and Core Anaesthetics Training/ACCS Anaes are completely different, no chance of swapping from one to the other at ST3. I could anaesthetise for an appendicectomy in my sleep by the end of CT2, doesn't mean I could suddenly switch and start cutting instead, and vice versa!

If you wanted to make the switch to anaesthetics at that point, then your CST experience would get you maximum points in the "experience in complementary specialties" (or whatever it's called) section, but you would still have to apply to CT1.
Last edited by Helenia; 1 year ago
crystallinedrops
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
Last year it was somewhat closer to 1.6:1. If you're coming direct from CT2 it's even higher.
Sorry, what's the source on it being closer to 1.6:1? I find that quite surprising.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sorry, what's the source on it being closer to 1.6:1? I find that quite surprising.
https://twitter.com/orthopodreg/stat...667987457?s=12

151 appointable candidates from 243 interviews.
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
https://twitter.com/orthopodreg/stat...667987457?s=12

151 appointable candidates from 243 interviews.
I never realised that the number of appointable candidates was so low! Is it like that in all specialties?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I never realised that the number of appointable candidates was so low! Is it like that in all specialties?

I wonder what happend in 2013, when 464 out of 468 interviewed applicants were deemed appointable!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.74%
No (44)
12.32%
I'm not old enough (139)
38.94%

Watched Threads