The Student Room Group

University Dilema

I have an offer from University of Nottingham (conditional) and an offer from Nottingham Trent (unconditional). What are your views on which one I should accept. Are both really the same uni . I’m doing law by the way.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KOlKOP
I have an offer from University of Nottingham (conditional) and an offer from Nottingham Trent (unconditional). What are your views on which one I should accept. Are both really the same uni . I’m doing law by the way.

No - especially for law...
Original post by KOlKOP

No, Nottingham is a better uni than Trent.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
No, Nottingham is a better uni than Trent.

Ok thanks, but if you were in my position would you accept the unconditional? Trent has a ranking of 23 in the uk and Nottingham has 10 in the uk. Bearing in mind the entry requirements for Nottingham are ridiculous
Original post by KOlKOP
Ok thanks, but if you were in my position would you accept the unconditional? Trent has a ranking of 23 in the uk and Nottingham has 10 in the uk. Bearing in mind the entry requirements for Nottingham are ridiculous

I think I've already posted on a thread about this? WAIT until you have all your offers - if you plan to go into LAW then the university matters.
Reply 5
I think I've already posted on a thread about this? WAIT until you have all your offers - if you plan to go into LAW then the university matters.

I understand. Does this thread you posted have information on universities etc? Aswell, what are your views on Trent if you have any?
Original post by KOlKOP

Choose Nottingham unless theres a good chance you wont make the grade and wont resit.
You should also visit.

If the offer is so ridiculous and out of your range then why did you apply there?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by KOlKOP
I understand. Does this thread you posted have information on universities etc? Aswell, what are your views on Trent if you have any?

I thought it was your thread as it was asking the same question!

If you want to go into Law then you need to aim for an RG university as law firms seem interested in that. Where else have you applied?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Choose Nottingham unless theres a good chance you wont make the grade and wont resit.
You should also visit.

I asked my teachers they said the same but also said Trent won the university of the year award last year and told me that’s a good sign. They also said going to either or won’t really affect me in the future. What are your views on that?
Reply 9
I thought it was your thread as it was asking the same question!

If you want to go into Law then you need to aim for an RG university as law firms seem interested in that. Where else have you applied?

Ulster and Hull too, I’m kind of inclined to go for Trent not because of the unconditional but because they won university of the year award for teaching and job prospects.
Reply 10
Original post by KOlKOP

What are these "ridiculous" entry requirements?
Reply 11
Original post by Shiv7
What are these "ridiculous" entry requirements?

A*AA they may not seem ridiculous to other but I do find it hard to achieve that
Original post by KOlKOP

don't accept the unconditional offer
Reply 13
Original post by blackvoid17
don't accept the unconditional offer

Why?
Original post by KOlKOP
I asked my teachers they said the same but also said Trent won the university of the year award last year and told me that’s a good sign. They also said going to either or won’t really affect me in the future. What are your views on that?

I would choose Nottingham and back myself. You must know why you chose certain unis?
I'd rather have a degree from Nottingham.
Trent is ok as it foes, but ive stated my preference.
Reply 15
Original post by KOlKOP
A*AA they may not seem ridiculous to other but I do find it hard to achieve that

Firstly I don't think they're ridiculous at all and I think many others would agree with me.
Secondly, as many others have said Nottingham is far superior than Trent. Frankly speaking, any university that's already giving out unconditional offers shows how desperate they are for students. I'd genuinely recommend you to go for Nottingham.
However, if you don't think you can get the grades then there's not really a choice to make.
Hope this helps.
Original post by KOlKOP
Ulster and Hull too, I’m kind of inclined to go for Trent not because of the unconditional but because they won university of the year award for teaching and job prospects.

Not for Law though .... it is a good uni but I wouldn't suggest it for Law. Unconditional offers usually mean the uni is desperate for students ...
Reply 17
Not for Law though .... it is a good uni but I wouldn't suggest it for Law. Unconditional offers usually mean the uni is desperate for students ...

Ok one more question please thanks , if It was a choice between Trent or Hull or Ulster. Which one would you choose?
Original post by KOlKOP
Ok one more question please thanks , if It was a choice between Trent or Hull or Ulster. Which one would you choose?

you need to visit. One person's ideas differ from the next. The fact is that Notingham is a top 30 university. The other universities are not. That is why the grades are higher. Probably Trent will be the better of the other 3 but there wont be a great deal in it whereas the University of Nottingham is vastly superior.
Original post by KOlKOP

I'm a teacher and I don't agree with them - not for Law. What was your other choice?

Quick Reply

Latest