Opinions on giving teachers gifts

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I gave all my teachers gifts (mostly personalised gifts) before I left school as a token of appreciation and some of my teachers helped in terms of personal stuff so I gave them a few extra gifts.
Some.people I've realised don't agree that teachers should be given gifts by there students.
One of my friends told me that you don't give your dentist or GP a gift so why teachers.
But I just feel some teachers go that extra mile for you and therefore I wanted to thank them.
(My friends didn't have that experience of being close to there teachers) hence did not understand why I gave gifts to them.

It is acceptable to give gifts right?
And teachers appreciate them right?
I mean I gave one a personalised token-i think it was sweet, but don't know whether they'll keep it haha!
If I was a teacher id keep them, especially personalised items because they're memories
KVJ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes
Yes
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its nice to give teachers a little present.
Its up to the individual- if you want to give your teachers a present then feel free to do so, especially if you were close to them, they have particularly helped you out, you feel they have gone the extra mile etc.
If you dont want to then you shouldnt feel obliged to (especially if you werent that close to your teachers or whatever).
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I gave various teachers presents over the years. I wouldn't give my GP or dentist a present because I don't see them 5 days a week 6 hours a day. It's fine to give presents.
AngelStarfire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes it's perfectly fine! I would like to give gifts to my teachers too but I'm too shy so at the end of Year 11 I'll slip it on their desks.

You are a great, grateful student!
Anonymous #1
Awww thanks guy and yes exactly I completely agree about the dentist/gp thing lol.
And yes i did give my teachers a gift and they loved it haha. It was like a glass token saying how much they've helped me
And yes i was close to some, one in particular helped me with my mental health and therefore i felt she obviously deserved a gift. (Still stay in touch with her haha!)
I'm hoping she's still go the personalised token lol! (It probably remind her of the laughs we had)
The others I gave mugs and chocolates and personalised stuff.

I just love giving presents so get a bit carried away!!
Thanks guys
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AngelStarfire)
Yes it's perfectly fine! I would like to give gifts to my teachers too but I'm too shy so at the end of Year 11 I'll slip it on their desks.

And awww bless you, don't be shy-let them know how much you appreciate their help.

I gave mine gifts and told each of them how I was grateful for all the support (even though I was only in that school for sixth form so for 3 year-it felt longer! Because of how I just connected with them!)

Because we spend like all day at school and it's like a family at school. So I was upset and still am, that now I'm at uni! (It's not the same, so make the most of it whilst you are at school)
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wish I had given some of my teachers gifts. And some of them, put bombs in their bag.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I never gave my children’s teachers gifts regularly. With 7 kids, it just wasn’t doable.
So when the last of the children left Primary, I bought books for the school library. With the boys school, I made a monogrammed banner with the school name and logo on the front of the lectern and the girls school the same.
Some of the stuff parents used to buy for teachers was just stupid. Trips to Disneyland. One of them even bought a freaking horse. It was a question of trying to outdo each other to see who could buy the most expensive present.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I gave all my teachers gifts (mostly personalised gifts) before I left school as a token of appreciation and some of my teachers helped in terms of personal stuff so I gave them a few extra gifts.
Some.people I've realised don't agree that teachers should be given gifts by there students.
One of my friends told me that you don't give your dentist or GP a gift so why teachers.
But I just feel some teachers go that extra mile for you and therefore I wanted to thank them.
(My friends didn't have that experience of being close to there teachers) hence did not understand why I gave gifts to them.

It is acceptable to give gifts right?
And teachers appreciate them right?
I mean I gave one a personalised token-i think it was sweet, but don't know whether they'll keep it haha!
If I was a teacher id keep them, especially personalised items because they're memories
You shouldn't feel like you have to give teachers a gift and it isn't something they should be expecting, but if you feel like they have made a difference to you and you want to show some appreciation then that's absolutely fine and I challenge you to find one teacher who wouldn't appreciate it.

When I did work experience some kids gave me cards at the end and I still have them years later. I'm pretty sure I cried a little telling my partner about this one kid who didn't make a big show of "I'm making you a card" and just quietly handed me a maze he coloured in.
And that's not just with little kids- my family gave one of my secondary school teachers a gift when he retired and you could tell how much he appreciated it. He even asked if he could hug me.

Teachers don't tend to do what they do for fame, glory or money. They do it cos they like it and it means a lot when somebody recognises effort that you have put in or tells you that you've made a difference to them.

It doesn't have to be a proper gift either- just a hand written card on school paper shows somebody you appreciate them enough to take a bit of time and tell them. And it's something that can remind them of that for years to come. Even just when somebody thanks me on here it puts a smile on my face.

Again, not something you have to do and just being a generally nice person and saying thanks or giving them a smile is great too, but sometimes that little extra effort can make a huge difference to somebody and if they have made a difference in your life it's a really nice thing to do.
Not just with teachers either. Why not give you GP a thank you card if they've made a difference! Spread the love!
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngelStarfire)

I'm sure they'll really appreciate that.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When I was in Primary School, my mum used to buy the teachers a little something e.g. card + chocolate. It was the Primary in my village though so everyone knew each other reasonably well.

I'm wondering whether I should get my project supervisor something come the end of the academic year...
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We had one headmaster in Primary who gave his all for the school. He would spend the holidays painting the classrooms out of his own pocket. Lovely man. When I got divorced, we struggled for a while financially. I used to get up very early in the morning Around 5 and went outside to get the milk and there was a parcel on the doorstep. It was full of brand new school uniforms and an envelope with a letter and some money.
He didn’t turn up for school the next day. He had driven down to Beachyhead after he left the parcel and jumped off the cliffs there. It all got too much for him.
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've both given and received gifts, I think it's such a nice gesture. For example, I've just finished Uni and I bought a personalised gift for my tutor and another lecturer I was/am particularily close to as they helped me out a great deal. I know they were really happy when I had given them. Like anything it's nice to be appreciated and I love nothing more than a nice card or thank you note
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed