Danieleaston
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi people,
I am extremely keen on applying for a Physiotherapy pre reg Msc, but the only thing holding me back is my confusion over the funding process. I am aware that SFE offer 10+k funding for Msc courses... But pre reg is two years? It would be a shame if I couldn't apply merely for financial circumstances, was just wondering if there is any other method of being able to receive funding for both years? Thanks.
TheSafe1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Danieleaston)
Hi people,
I am extremely keen on applying for a Physiotherapy pre reg Msc, but the only thing holding me back is my confusion over the funding process. I am aware that SFE offer 10+k funding for Msc courses... But pre reg is two years? It would be a shame if I couldn't apply merely for financial circumstances, was just wondering if there is any other method of being able to receive funding for both years? Thanks.
The pre-reg is two years, I cannot answer specific questions about SFE as I never used them but if you can only get 1 year could you not get a career development loan from coop bank or santander (only two that do this i believe), if not generic bank loans may help?

You could phone SFE and ask them directly first though, sometimes you discover alot you didn't initially know about which may help your situation.
U33B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I can answer this. Any allied health profession courses such as: Physiotherapy, Occupational therapy, nurse, dentisty, medicine etc are known as exception courses where they get all funding and loans same as an undergraduate so this means all tuition fees are covered plus you get maintenance loans for living costs. The reason they are exception courses is because without completing the course you cannot have a licence to practice because in order to have a licence you need to complete the relevant degree. Msc pre reg courses are also exception courses but last year it wasn't due to government policies but now they are. They don't look at any previous degrees held so it's as if you are a fresh student looking to apply. You would have to apply through student finance just as same as when you applied for an undergrad course and NOT THROUGH STUDENT LOANS COMPANY. The reason is because student loans company deal with loans I.e you would have to borrow 10k and you have to cover your own tuition fees and living cost from the same 10k which is only given once so you can't ask for another 10k. The reason behind this is because other msc courses are not profession based courses just a generic course hence why no funding options are given other than the 10k. For e.g. completing a masters degree in English won't give you a guarantee job as an English teacher but completimg a medical degree would not only make you a doctor but get you a job. There are however some other exception courses known as stem where i think they also get full funding but I think you would only get it if you're on a part time course but I'm not too sure. I think the stem courses are engineering, computer Sciene and I can't think of the rest. So in conclusion you can apply to any allied health professoin courses, dentisty or medicine without any worries of funding. The only reason where you might have a problem is if you apply for a 5 or 6 year medicine programme because that is designed for people who don't hold a degree.
However if you get on the course and you already hold a degree then there will be no financial help so you would have to fork out the 9 grand a year your self plus you would have to financially support yourself. You would have to apply for the graduate entry medicine programme which is for 4 years designed for people who already have a degree. I think is totally ridiculous because if someone wants to become a doctor then why would government penalise and disheartened a person of pursuing their dreams due to financial problems and funding. They should have the same relaxed approach as allied health profession courses. Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (7)
43.75%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
6.25%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (3)
18.75%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (2)
12.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
18.75%

Watched Threads