The Student Room Group

Fearing my reasonable adjustment plan is going to be ignored

Hi

I just wondered if anyone had experienced a tutor ignoring their reasonable adjustment plan and how they handled it. My RA plan exempts me from doing presentations because of how my disabilities affects me, instead it says to negotiate another suitable activity such as an essay. On Friday, just in conversation the tutor mentioned a presentation that 'we have to do' in the next semester, so I mentioned about my RA to her and she completely ignored me. I was sitting right next to her, so she definitely heard me. I have just got a 'gut' feeling that she is going to be awkward over this. So, I guess my question is how would you guys handle this? I am guessing if a reasonable adjustment is in place, then this tutor should follow it whether they are happy or not, am I right?
Original post by ilovelearning17
Hi

I just wondered if anyone had experienced a tutor ignoring their reasonable adjustment plan and how they handled it. My RA plan exempts me from doing presentations because of how my disabilities affects me, instead it says to negotiate another suitable activity such as an essay. On Friday, just in conversation the tutor mentioned a presentation that 'we have to do' in the next semester, so I mentioned about my RA to her and she completely ignored me. I was sitting right next to her, so she definitely heard me. I have just got a 'gut' feeling that she is going to be awkward over this. So, I guess my question is how would you guys handle this? I am guessing if a reasonable adjustment is in place, then this tutor should follow it whether they are happy or not, am I right?

You need to raise this privately and formally ask for an alternative. Then, if she doesn't budge, go the the student disability coordinator.
Hi

We had one like that. For presentations, I did a modified assignment - usually an essay.
What you do is, you go back to Disability Services to the person responsible for arranging your RA, and they will contact all lecturers currently teaching you and inform them of your RA and advising them of your issues re: presentations.
It may just be a communication issue between you and the lecturer, so perhaps an email would be the thing to do, but I would still contact Disability Services to put your mind at ease.
Reply 3
Hi

Email her and specifically reference your plan. You can even copy in student support if you like to give her some extra incentive to say the right thing.
If she doesn't respond well contact student support and ask them to help you arrange an appropriate activity for you. Student support is there to help you so don't hesitate to get in touch with them if you're stuck with anything like this.
Original post by Muttley79
You need to raise this privately and formally ask for an alternative. Then, if she doesn't budge, go the the student disability coordinator.

Thanks for your reply. I will do that.
Original post by Seamus123
We had one like that. For presentations, I did a modified assignment - usually an essay.
What you do is, you go back to Disability Services to the person responsible for arranging your RA, and they will contact all lecturers currently teaching you and inform them of your RA and advising them of your issues re: presentations.
It may just be a communication issue between you and the lecturer, so perhaps an email would be the thing to do, but I would still contact Disability Services to put your mind at ease.

Thanks for replying. I know for sure she has a copy of my RA. I will email disability services for them to resend it etc.
Original post by Kindred
Email her and specifically reference your plan. You can even copy in student support if you like to give her some extra incentive to say the right thing.
If she doesn't respond well contact student support and ask them to help you arrange an appropriate activity for you. Student support is there to help you so don't hesitate to get in touch with them if you're stuck with anything like this.

Thanks for your reply. I have just emailed the support people because there are a few things that are not being implemented, so fingers crossed.
Thanks for replying. I know for sure she has a copy of my RA. I will email disability services for them to resend it etc.

I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.
Reply 8
Thanks for your reply. I have just emailed the support people because there are a few things that are not being implemented, so fingers crossed.

Good luck.
Remember the university/college is required to make all reasonable adjust wether or not they are in you support plan and the plan can be review at any point. The tutor cannot ignore reasonable adjustments as to do so would be direct descrimination. Confirn the adjustment in writing copied to disability support and complain if they do not agree to do it as they will be breaking the equality act

Quick Reply

Latest