I know many people don't like this but your opinion on 16 year old having babies? Watch

Other_Owl
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Just wondering what people think and no rants!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If they can and are willing to look after the baby/child properly in ever way possible, knowing that the child will hold them back on things in life, and they will not turn bitter because of this, then no problem, if the father of the child is also in their life properly.
Rainfall
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You see, their pregnancy isn’t planned and that’s where the problem lies. IF they planned it then good luck to them and they can be motivated to bring this child up but it’s usually not. And then the mother ends up looking after the child and they’re busy doing their GCSEs and it’s just :/
I mean they’re kids themselves looking after a child.
amandatzy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It would be to young of an age
patry27
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Nope.
Abcdefghijk123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It’s not recommendable. Most 16 year olds are not financially independent and aren’t emotionally mature enough. I think some people don’t quite get that a baby is for LIFE. And parenting is a 24/7 job as well. Teens are not the best at anticipating long term consequences; that part of the brain isn’t fully developed until around 25 years old.

However at the end of the day, it’s their own choice. If the 16 year old is 100% commited and is significantly mature, is fully aware and informed of the responsibility they are taking on, isn’t being forced into it and has the money, resources and time, then why not. Some 16 year olds make better parents than some 40 year olds. Also the baby of a 16 year old is a lot less likely to have genetic defects than a baby of the 35+ year old.
Last edited by Abcdefghijk123; 4 months ago
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Moved to society
byeongkwans
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't think it's ideal as they're likely to not be able to support the child financially and they're pretty much kids themselves. However, these things happen and can't always be helped. As long as they're willing to take responsibility for their child and care for them to the best of their ability they shouldn't be judged for it.
amandatzy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why you May ask, it is because a adolescent still going through her high school life and as a mother you wouldn’t want to see her seeing her life slowly fade away as she still has college and Uni life to go through, If the pregnancy is planned, I would say congratulations as they ALREADY know to look forward for the baby. If it is accidental then she would have to bare with her own consequences as she should have thought it through. Her family would also be affected as she would pass the baby to her Mother as she still has GCSE to finish
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It happens but I would advise a 16 year old to wait until they're older
CTLeafez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You're still only a child yourself at 16! I am a drastically different person from who I was when I was 16, I couldn't imagine having the responsibility over a baby now at 22, never-mind 6 years young.

I don't believe there are any 16 year olds who are 100% mentally mature enough to raise a baby. Yes, some do a very good job of growing up and taking on the massive responsibility, but having waited until they had at least finished school, they could've at least provide a decent quality of life for the baby without dependence on the state or family.

We shouldn't be promoting getting pregnant at such a young age, but we also shouldn't be demonising those who unfortunately do. They are human-beings, they need support, especially since there is now the baby's future at stakes here too.
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
It happens but I would advise a 16 year old to wait until they're older
Sixteen year old can get marriage join the Armed Forces it no one else is business if a sixteen year old has a baby .
Ohm0009
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Nothing wrong. Its just society thats wrong.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
Sixteen year old can get marriage join the Armed Forces it no one else is business if a sixteen year old has a baby .
Just because something can be done doesn’t make it a good idea.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I didn't attempt it and would hesitate to recommend it.
Many sections of society can be so hostile and judgmental towards pregnant teenagers.
But many friends were raised by teenage mothers who are fantastic parents and great role models.
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I didn't attempt it and would hesitate to recommend it.
Many sections of society can be so hostile and judgmental towards pregnant teenagers.
But many friends were raised by teenage mothers who are fantastic parents and great role models.
My friend had her first child at sixteen still with the same partner at 38 she also a doctor she when through Medical School in her later twenties. Her daughter is a nurse and her son is at a top university.
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I find it crazy, I mean why would anyone want to have them that early? Plenty of time in the future to have kids, your youth is when you are meant to do and experience all the things you want to do - enjoy your childhood, have fun, go out with friends, have no stresses or responsibilities, make money for yourself, travel, learn new stuff, do crazy shiz, go on adventures of a lifetime - all things you won't and will probably never get the chance to experience once you have kids. kids are stuck with you for a lifetime. i've met plenty of older parents with grown up kids who whine and complain about how they never got the chance to do this and that and see the world and have fun because they had kids to early.

have them later ffs, you'll only regret it if you have them young
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. If having children and raising them is what a girl wants to do with her life, and she’s capable of doing a good job, then fair play to her.

Of course most of the time, a girl will have other priorities as well such as education, a career, and some time to enjoy herself in other ways whilst she is free of responsibility; most pregnancies at that age are probably unintentional and inopportune. That’s when it becomes a problem, because it will interfere with al those other priorities.
lizaia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Probably not the best idea in most circumstances, but then we also completely accept people at 18 plunging themselves into debt in pursuit of a degree that might not even get them a decent job in the end. For some reason, when it comes to having kids, people assume your life is just over and you won't be able to enjoy yourself anymore, as if children are horrible or give no benefit to the person raising them, or that the alternative of work and education isn't mind-numbingly boring and soul-destroying but is actually a life of 'opportunity.'
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by goggleyed)

have them later ffs, you'll only regret it if you have them young
Many of my friends were raised by fantastic teenage single mothers.
Not a single one regrets having her children early in life.
I've never spoken to a single teenage mother who says she does, even those of children with serious health problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (137)
18.03%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.13%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (130)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (231)
30.39%

Watched Threads