The Student Room Group

What hobbies should I mention when applying to Animation?

I'm writing my personal statement and all the courses I'm applying to are animation. I've got the academic part sorted I think, but what hobbies should I include? Most of them are stuff like reading novels and comics, watching cartoons, drawing, playing video games. I'm also making a comic with a friend.

I also do a bit of voice acting as a hobby and taught myself Audacity for it, but so far I've only done auditions and not got a role so is there any point in mentioning that?
You don't need to mention any hobbies unless you feel they will add to your statement. It's fine to mention things if you want to, but admissions tutors are only really interested in your academic interest in the course, and super-curriculars relating to the course that you've done. Making a comic with a friend might be relevant, as may drawing, but mentioning generic hobbies will add nothing to your statement and you could use the characters more productively.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You don't need to mention any hobbies unless you feel they will add to your statement. It's fine to mention things if you want to, but admissions tutors are only really interested in your academic interest in the course, and super-curriculars relating to the course that you've done. Making a comic with a friend might be relevant, as may drawing, but mentioning generic hobbies will add nothing to your statement and you could use the characters more productively.

Okay cool, thanks
Hi,

Wrexham Glyndwr University have a blog you may be interested in reading:

https://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Howtoap...onalstatement/

It gives you hints and tips of what to include and what to avoid. Hopefully this will be useful for you :-)

Katie
Glyndwr Student Ambassador
Original post by Haze-raccoon
I'm writing my personal statement and all the courses I'm applying to are animation. I've got the academic part sorted I think, but what hobbies should I include? Most of them are stuff like reading novels and comics, watching cartoons, drawing, playing video games. I'm also making a comic with a friend.

I also do a bit of voice acting as a hobby and taught myself Audacity for it, but so far I've only done auditions and not got a role so is there any point in mentioning that?

Hi Haze-raccoon,

I would reccomend looking into open days as they have portfolio talks usually on these days as well as getting I touch with course tutor of the course you really want to go to and asking the question of what do you look for in a personal statement to give you a better idea of what to include.

At Ravensbourne we have a BA Animation course as well and on our website we have a portfolio booklet which may be helpful to you and goes through what is best to put into your personal statement and even your portfolio! I would definitely have a look into this as it may give you a bit more direction as to what to put in your statement for that section. Furthermore, we also offer workshops on portfolios which gives you an insight into these avenues and someone can look over your current work in the workshop potentially.

I hope this has helped you and I wish you all the best in your application!

Daniella :smile:
Reply 5
If you are a musician, mention this - musicians make good animators because they understand the importance of hitting a beat. Animation is full of those beats - either because you are animating to music or because you are hitting the natural beats that characters make when they move - we are rhythmic creatures after all.

Quick Reply

Latest