Caught using child’s train ticket? Watch

nicolegrace1207
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’m 17 but I don’t look my age I’m really short and have a baby face. I’m planning on going to Southampton this weekend and adult tickets are crazy expensive. If I get a child ticket ( which is up until 15) how much trouble could I get into ?
Nil Admirari
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you could get a 10 year sentence mate if you're unlucky but thankfully it's one of those things you could just like Google maybe.
student000990
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nicolegrace1207)
So I’m 17 but I don’t look my age I’m really short and have a baby face. I’m planning on going to Southampton this weekend and adult tickets are crazy expensive. If I get a child ticket ( which is up until 15) how much trouble could I get into ?
In my experience they will just ask you to buy an adult ticket IF you get caught. Worst case scenario £20 fine but most likely just buy another ticket. You can say you got on at a later station than you did to shorten the jounrey you will be charged for.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The penalties depend on the train operating company.

The cost of another full adult peak-time ticket would be the fine, probably.
Castro Saint
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you get caught just say you are a child of god, you'll be fine.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Get a 16-25 railcard, it gives a third off adult fares so not too much more than the price of child tickets.
gelle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you get caught £80 fine I believe I dunno but just take your chances with the child ticket, most times i’ve been on trains no ones even checked like ffs
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Well, it's fraud and it's illegal so... is it worth it? Up to you, I think it's a really stupid idea though. You're probably quite likely to get caught considering most journeys are checked these days.
katf
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you look about 15, they won't care. Have a friend on standby to pretend to be your mum if needs be. Or have your mum on standby to confirm you're 15.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Been a long time..but i'f I was challenged and already holding the ticket I'd stick my heels in, what proof of age can someone under 16 be realistically expected to provide? Can't fine you unless you accept it, what are they going to do? have transport police meet you at the station?
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
Getting the train pretty much everyday too college and back I've been caught doing this multiple times eek.
Only ever been asked to buy a full price peak adult ticket, but generally just have a date of birth ready to say, and question what 15 year old carry's ID and they're fine with it- can't prove otherwise, and cba too really
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
I know of people who have got a criminal record for this, this is extremely rare, but court settlements of thousands are common in the Southampton area. The reason many above report only being charged the full adult fare +£20 fine will proably be because inspections are usually been carried ouy by the guard most of whom aren't trained to persue a prosecution. If you get caught by revenue protection or police it'll be a different story....

That said if you're traveling with SWR, you'd be extremely unlikekly to be caught this weekend as there's a strike on. But seriously just get a railcard, I'll never understand why fare evasion is veiwed differently from most other types of theft. If this thread was "Caught scanning chepaer item in shop and stealing more expensive one?" I imagine the responses would be very different. For £30 you can get 33% off all rail fares for a year, that's not much more than child fares. Even putting moral issues aside in my opinion it's really not worth the gamble for the small saving you'd make.
999tigger
Report 11 months ago
Liking the advice. Could you get on with a bunch of those happy 15th Birthday balloons? It could be very exciting.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I wouldn't really recommend this to be honest...

Normal train conductors will just ask you to buy the standard adult ticket (that you would have bought in the first place, thus wasting the child's ticket amount)

Some dodgy conductors or an RPO (Revenue Protection Officer) will give a Penalty Fare out - this is either £20, or twice the single fare to the next station (whatever is the greatest amount) - you'll then have to buy an adult ticket on top if you want to continue on that train.

The only time I've seen the BTP called out to fare dodgers was when there was a group of 3 youths who were doing everything they could to avoid paying for a ticket, despite given multiple opportunities to purchase a ticket at the full price...

Just get an adult ticket

And btw, I know this because I've been commuting on trains for the last 5 years. And I haven't done anything dodgy either.
Last edited by spotify95; 11 months ago
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
Well, it's fraud and it's illegal so... is it worth it? Up to you, I think it's a really stupid idea though. You're probably quite likely to get caught considering most journeys are checked these days.
Surprisingly, my tickets don't actually get checked these days (this is on East Midlands Trains), but I agree that I wouldn't chance it, because the OP would get clobbered with either (a) a Penalty Fare, or (b) having to buy the Adult ticket that they didn't want to buy in the first place.
And of course, luck would have it that the one time you don't buy a ticket, is the one time that the RPOs will be checking tickets and dishing out Penalty Fares like sweeties. So really not worth it.

Plus a 16-25 railcard is only £30 a year and gives 30% off train tickets!
Last edited by spotify95; 11 months ago
Anonymous #3
Report 11 months ago
You shouldn't pre buy tickets if you travel very rarely. Buy them on the train, they can't fine you if you say that you didn't understand how to use the machine or it wasn't working. If you can lie well the go for the child one if not ask for an adult. Best case- free ride, worst case you pay for an adult ticket and if you have a map to hand you can say you came from a later station (cheaper). At Southampton station they have turnstiles but if you explain the situation with confidence they'll often let you through without paying due to the traffic.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You typically get ordered to pay a fine and your name is added into a database. I think this is known has a warning.
Employers and education establishments cannot access the database, it is there to keep track of who was given a warning so that if you got caught again, then you would be charged with whatever crime you were breaching.

So yeah, don't do it again m8.
Last edited by stoyfan; 11 months ago
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Just buy an adult ticket.

Some are over-vigilant. I was once accused of trying to ask for a childs fare even when I wasn't. :dontknow:
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Surprisingly, my tickets don't actually get checked these days (this is on East Midlands Trains), but I agree that I wouldn't chance it, because the OP would get clobbered with either (a) a Penalty Fare, or (b) having to buy the Adult ticket that they didn't want to buy in the first place.
And of course, luck would have it that the one time you don't buy a ticket, is the one time that the RPOs will be checking tickets and dishing out Penalty Fares like sweeties. So really not worth it.

Plus a 16-25 railcard is only £30 a year and gives 30% off train tickets!
My friend didn't pay the fare since he thought that no one would check the ticket.
He unsuprisingly got a warning when he got caught by a train conductor.
Cheryl_Hunter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You should have a means of identification
https://freetoping.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (138)
54.33%
18-20 years old (no) (31)
12.2%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.35%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.57%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.09%