The Student Room Group

The Official Oxford Interviews and Decisions Thread 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Hjc2019
Merton and Jesus, so considering both have only taken first choice students for years that’s probably Jesus out the window anyway, we’ll just await the 9th.:-)

I heard the merton interview was quite hard!
I applied for Christ Church and they mainly seem to take transfers and not direct applicants! But I reeeeally want chch :tongue:
Reply 1581
Original post by tiggysniggy
mix of great and terrible...LMH were super nice, but the pembroke ones were more stressful- not helped by the fact that they started at 6pm...

That's a shame that your interviews were so late! Mine were quite late at Wadham and I agree it's not ideal. Although not as late as 6pm!
Original post by AO180
I heard the merton interview was quite hard!
I applied for Christ Church and they mainly seem to take transfers and not direct applicants! But I reeeeally want chch :tongue:

I found the Merton one ok...perhaps that’s a bad thing... I really loved Merton
Original post by Azeee
I emailed my interviewer to just detail my thoughts and ask a few questions as I don’t think the interview went very well at all, and she said the same thing about not trying to think about how it went but also that I will be able to ask for feedback in January...does this last part mean I’ve been rejected? ☹️ I feel like she has accidentally told me that...

Don't worry! I think they will give us feedback regardless of the outcome, so you have not been rejected!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Azeee
I emailed my interviewer to just detail my thoughts and ask a few questions as I don’t think the interview went very well at all, and she said the same thing about not trying to think about how it went but also that I will be able to ask for feedback in January...does this last part mean I’ve been rejected? ☹️ I feel like she has accidentally told me that...

Well, no, I think you can also ask for feedback if you’ve been accepted.
Original post by JMR2018
Yeah I guess it might mean they haven’t gone onto the harder questions, but for some reason I can’t help but feeling one of them went really well, one of them even said it was a really interesting discussion and gave me tips for the next interview. We shall see :biggrin:

Yeah the same thing happened to me in my PPE interviews when the philosophy tutor said that I made a point which he never thought of before! That should've been a good sign because I was later given a economics re-interview, probably because I did well in my philosophy and my politics interviews but screwed up my economics one. My re-interview went very well so I do hope we all get in!!
Original post by Chaulh01
Yeah the same thing happened to me in my PPE interviews when the philosophy tutor said that I made a point which he never thought of before! That should've been a good sign because I was later given a economics re-interview, probably because I did well in my philosophy and my politics interviews but screwed up my economics one. My re-interview went very well so I do hope we all get in!!

I didn’t get a reinterview myself. I hope you get it! :smile:
Hi did anyone had a physics interview? At trinity? How was it?
Original post by JMR2018
I didn’t get a reinterview myself. I hope you get it! :smile:

what does a reinterview mean?
Original post by Rohan77642
what does a reinterview mean?

That you get interviewed again.
Original post by JMR2018
That you get interviewed again.

So like by the same tutors?
So like by the same tutors?

I believe so.
Original post by JMR2018
I believe so.

Good to know, thanks. Is that held when you are borderline?
Good to know, thanks. Is that held when you are borderline?

I’m not sure, it could mean that or perhaps that interview didn’t go so good, whereas the other ones did, and they want to give you another chance. So you may well be right, but not 100% sure.
Original post by JMR2018
I’m not sure, it could mean that or perhaps that interview didn’t go so good, whereas the other ones did, and they want to give you another chance. So you may well be right, but not 100% sure.

I had two interviews for teddy hall: one for physics and one for math (I'm applying for physics). Both were relatively easy although the questions were of a similar level to ones found on the net. I did struggle a little with some of the end questions but I was still close to the answers. My third interview at Merton was a nightmare though and the questions they asked were harder than any I've heard of. Their first math question i got theiuth but it wasn't entirely correct and i needed a lot of help and the physics question sucked; i barely got anywhere (although i identified a suitable equation and seemed close to an approach by the time the interview closed). Does this mean they think I'm good and decided to challenge me or is this a bad sign?
Original post by AO180
Even if you get in you can still ask for feedback so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Original post by xsrubyyyyy
Don't worry! I think they will give us feedback regardless of the outcome, so you have not been rejected!

Original post by JMR2018
Well, no, I think you can also ask for feedback if you’ve been accepted.

Thanks...I still feel like you would only say that to someone who’s has been rejected, but I guess there’s no use thinking about it. Just have to wait and see :/
Original post by vishwa.11
I had two interviews for teddy hall: one for physics and one for math (I'm applying for physics). Both were relatively easy although the questions were of a similar level to ones found on the net. I did struggle a little with some of the end questions but I was still close to the answers. My third interview at Merton was a nightmare though and the questions they asked were harder than any I've heard of. Their first math question i got theiuth but it wasn't entirely correct and i needed a lot of help and the physics question sucked; i barely got anywhere (although i identified a suitable equation and seemed close to an approach by the time the interview closed). Does this mean they think I'm good and decided to challenge me or is this a bad sign?

No one knows. It's quite common for candidates to have a mixture of hard and easy questions in the interviews. Its unlikely that within the space of a couple of hours they had chosen questions specifically to challenge you. I think they were meant to be challenging for everyone and they were just testing how well you could cope in comparison to other candidates when asked difficult questions.
No one knows. It's quite common for candidates to have a mixture of hard and easy questions in the interviews. Its unlikely that within the space of a couple of hours they had chosen questions specifically to challenge you. I think they were meant to be challenging for everyone and they were just testing how well you could cope in comparison to other candidates when asked difficult questions.

I'm not sure though because I had a Skype interview, so there was a two day gap between my teddy hall and merton interview.
Original post by vishwa.11
I'm not sure though because I had a Skype interview, so there was a two day gap between my teddy hall and merton interview.

Oh. It's hard to say really. But I would still say that the questions are meant to be of a similar difficulty for all candidates because at the end of the day they want to compare applicants.

By the sounds of it, you did very well. Congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending