The Student Room Group

Corbyn wears the wrong coat at cenotaph

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6377075/Scruffy-disrespectful-Corbyn-slammed-looking-like-tramp-Cenotaph-service.html

The garbage right media seem to be trying to manufacture another "donkey jacket" moment for labour leader at remembrance event. I don't even own a formal coat. Just like when Cameron had a go at Corbyn suit and tie this just makes it plain to me that those who run our society look t people like me with contempt.

Scroll to see replies

We are going to spend the 100 year anniversary of Armistice Day complaining about Corbyn's coat? What have we become?

I swear if the British soldiers who fought in the World Wars could see into the future they'd be like "right lads, back to blighty, these clowns aren't worth fighting for".
It is very disrespectful that they would pick on people for their own gain on such a sad and important time.
He certainly did not get the "formal dress" memo
Original post by AperfectBalance
He certainly did not get the "formal dress" memo

Should have dressed like this for maximum respects shown.

(edited 5 years ago)
Focusing on Corbyn's coat. Saves thinking about the hypocrisy of the politicians posturing at Remembrance Day activities as mourning the dead and no to all wars, before dashing back to their plush offices to plan new weapons sales to Saudi and new investments in nukes and automated killer robots.
Original post by Violet Femme
We are going to spend the 100 year anniversary of Armistice Day complaining about Corbyn's coat? What have we become?

I swear if the British soldiers who fought in the World Wars could see into the future they'd be like "right lads, back to blighty, these clowns aren't worth fighting for".

This kind of ridiculing of the left happened during both world wars as well, from media who pre-war had mostly supported extreme nationalist positions. It's difficult to take newspapers like the Mail, who were still supporting Hitler right down to the declaration of war, seriously as moral guardians.
I was focusing more on remembering our fallen, than what coat somebody was wearing.
Yes, he looked shabby, but that's not exactly news. It's easy to make it out like 'it's only a coat', and to a certain extent that's true. But it's about respect and 'fitting in'- if the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family can get the dress right, then is it too much to expect the Leader Of The Opposition to do the same?

We get this periodically with students trying to 'rebel' by refusing to wear black tie to dinners which require it, or other dress infractions just really for the sake of it. It always smacks of immaturity, and an inability to not draw attention to yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, he looked shabby, but that's not exactly news. It's easy to make it out like 'it's only a coat', and to a certain extent that's true. But it's about respect and 'fitting in'- if the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family can get the dress right, then is it too much to expect the Leader Of The Opposition to do the same?

The rest of the Royal Family were in military uniform.

Ironically enough, the RAF greatcoat that Prince William was wearing was pretty much the exact same colour as Corbyn's.
Original post by Drewski
The rest of the Royal Family were in military uniform.

I don't think Camilla was. Nor the Duchess of Cambridge :smile: You know what I mean, anyway. It's about doing what's expected, rather than what you feel like.

Ironically enough, the RAF greatcoat that Prince William was wearing was pretty much the exact same colour as Corbyn's.

Minus the hood...
Huh... And here I was thinking that rememberence day was about remembering those who had fallen for the future of their people, and their allies' people. Nope. Turns out it's all about making sure well known people dress right.
I don't think Camilla was. Nor the Duchess of Cambridge :smile: You know what I mean, anyway. It's about doing what's expected, rather than what you feel like.

Minus the hood...

The Royal Family laying wreaths are the ones he 'should' be matching if he was concerned about 'fitting in'.

And yes, it had a hood. What a terrible idea during a potentially showery month like November.
Original post by Drewski
And yes, it had a hood. What a terrible idea during a potentially showery month like November.

Everyone else seemed to manage without. I'm sure he could manage in the rain, without having to go President Trump on us all. Umbrellas are a good idea during showery weather - should he have had one of those too? Or a pac-a-mac?

How about the band? Why bother polishing all that brass - it still makes the same sound, and still 'honours the dead'. Why bother with all those white gloves too. Come to think about it, why line them all it in rank and file? Let them just stand around easy. They're still 'honouring the dead'.

Details matter.
(edited 5 years ago)
The amount shares for a coat!
Everyone else seemed to manage without. I'm sure he could manage in the rain, without having to go President Trump on us all. Umbrellas are a good idea during showery weather - should he have had one of those too? Or a pac-a-mac?

How about the band? Why bother polishing all that brass - it still makes the same sound, and still 'honours the dead'. Why bother with all those white gloves too. Come to think about it, why line them all it in rank and file? Let them just stand around easy. They're still 'honouring the dead'.

Details matter.

You're - quite deliberately to be awkward - comparing apples with oranges.

The military have uniformity.
He's a civilian. There is no dress code to take part in the event beyond "suit expected", which he was wearing. So his overcoat was different (and probably cheaper) than those around him. So what?

I'm no fan of the guy, his politics, or his antics, but this as a complaint is beyond moronic.
People should leave the poor man alone.
It's not about what everyone was wearing it's about why they gathered their in the first place to remember.
Trust the daily mail to focus on something completely irrelevant
Original post by Drewski
You're - quite deliberately to be awkward - comparing apples with oranges.

The military have uniformity.
He's a civilian. There is no dress code to take part in the event beyond "suit expected", which he was wearing. So his overcoat was different (and probably cheaper) than those around him. So what?

I'm no fan of the guy, his politics, or his antics, but this as a complaint is beyond moronic.

He's not just a civilian though. He's a civilian in a position of authority (god help us) and was supposed to be 'representing' people. The least he can do is get dressed properly.

Yes, I agree it's a storm in a teacup, and it's very Daily Mail. There are bigger fish to fry. But whilst it's not a hanging offence, it drew my attention momentarily and I suspect a large number of those present too. Why he couldn't have just fitted in like everyone else - it's not exactly the first time.
(edited 5 years ago)
He's not just a civilian though

He literally is exactly that.
it is all part of Jezza's edgy shtick.... don't sing the National Anthem, don't respect the Queen... generally behave like a lower sixth Bolshevik.

Quick Reply

Latest