The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do an A-Level part time?

Im in a bit of an odd situation, Im 16 years old(start of year 12 if you think academically) and instead of doing sixth form, i'm doing a 3 year apprenticeship with BMW. Is there any way that I would be able to do A - Levels Maths and Physics part time with my work(8.30-5.30)or can I do them at university?

There isn't any specific reason as to why I didn't do them, I just generally hate textbook education but it seems like any decent job requires A-levels, a degree and 10 years experience at the age of 18 so I want to get them out of the way.
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you mean A level maths and physics?
Reply 2
Original post by JackMac2904
Do you mean A level maths and physics?

yeah, It was a spelling mistake
Reply 3
i think you can if you decide to do it yourself so like revise things and enter as a private candidate
I don't see any reason why a local college/school can't sign you up for the exams though you will have to pay for them. You would of course have to teach yourself the material which could provide difficulties, not to say it isn't doable, especially if you take the full 3 years of your apprenticeships to learn the material and revise it along side your apprenticeship. It of course depends entirely on your academic ability, but it is definitely possible and all of the information you could need for the exams are available (at a price usually). It does seem like a very good idea to pursue A level qualifications along side your apprenticeship, definitely shows commitment and dedication, if I were an admissions officer at a uni you applied to I would be very impressed with that as you have gone far beyond what you needed to do.

If you're very good at maths, you may want to consider doing the further maths A level as well? I realize you may not want to as you'll be taking on a lot but when I was your age I didn't realize further maths was an A level I could do until I visited open days at my college. Just want to make you aware of it as a possibility if you're very good at maths.
Original post by SullysArmy
Im in a bit of an odd situation, Im 16 years old(start of year 12 if you think academically) and instead of doing sixth form, i'm doing a 3 year apprenticeship with BMW. Is there any way that I would be able to do A - Levels Maths and Physics part time with my work(8.30-5.30)or can I do them at university?

There isn't any specific reason as to why I didn't do them, I just generally hate textbook education but it seems like any decent job requires A-levels, a degree and 10 years experience at the age of 18 so I want to get them out of the way.

Just realized, there may be a problem with physics, there is a practical element to the course as well which you must complete and I don't think you would be able to do this as an external candidate. Best look into that. Maths on the other hand is 100% exams so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest