Part time job making me miserable

Watch
southerngothic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I started working at greggs three weeks ago and already feel miserable and don't like going in.

The first two shifts were great, then all down hill from there. The manager was called away to another store for three weeks (has just got back now) so it's been a different manager/supervisor pretty much every shift. All have a contradictory way of doing things so no matter what I do, I'm always doing something wrong. Second ever shift an inspector from head office was in as I bumbled with drinks machine.

My main problem is that I'm in a kind of medical limbo where I'm all but diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit) by GP and student wellbeing (been in and out of CAMHS for years) but have only just been referred to another clinic so still no diagnosis. Which means I can't tell work in hopes they'll be a bit more supportive.

I've been making lists of tasks to do because the workload is huge. You're expected to cook baguettes and breakfast food, put cakes out date checking them all, check all Temps, sign a bunch of sheets, bag up excess cakes and dozens of sausage rolls, etc. all before opening. Then there's more **** to do through the day. I've been trying to write down lists of things to do as it doesn't help either when I'm pulled away to do something else (like serving customers) because I often forget to go back to a task.

90% of coworkers are super nice and patient and say I'm doing really well compared to other hires but they themselves are stressed and most often training to be supervisors. A few times they've had to pick up the slack because I haven't been shown how or when to do things or I forget about certain tasks. Sometimes I do feel belittled by the minority who can't understand I've only been here 3 weeks.

Greggs is supposed to be a part time job yet I feel like it's consuming my life. I need the money and I want to hang on for a least a year because my longest job before this was only 7 months. But I feel hopeless with the attention deficit effecting my work. Im good at serving and making drinks and cooking things but wider shop upkeep still baffles me.

I'm also having you work Christmas and we're not allowed any time off in December which means I'll be alone all Christmas which is just fueling the misery.

I'm thinking about looking for a new job but hate the interview and settling in process. Besides, one of the guys I work with said since he started 3 months ago, four people have quit and i think it'll feel like a failure if I walk away.
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by southerngothic)
I started working at greggs three weeks ago and already feel miserable and don't like going in.

The first two shifts were great, then all down hill from there. The manager was called away to another store for three weeks (has just got back now) so it's been a different manager/supervisor pretty much every shift. All have a contradictory way of doing things so no matter what I do, I'm always doing something wrong. Second ever shift an inspector from head office was in as I bumbled with drinks machine.

My main problem is that I'm in a kind of medical limbo where I'm all but diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit) by GP and student wellbeing (been in and out of CAMHS for years) but have only just been referred to another clinic so still no diagnosis. Which means I can't tell work in hopes they'll be a bit more supportive.

I've been making lists of tasks to do because the workload is huge. You're expected to cook baguettes and breakfast food, put cakes out date checking them all, check all Temps, sign a bunch of sheets, bag up excess cakes and dozens of sausage rolls, etc. all before opening. Then there's more **** to do through the day. I've been trying to write down lists of things to do as it doesn't help either when I'm pulled away to do something else (like serving customers) because I often forget to go back to a task.

90% of coworkers are super nice and patient and say I'm doing really well compared to other hires but they themselves are stressed and most often training to be supervisors. A few times they've had to pick up the slack because I haven't been shown how or when to do things or I forget about certain tasks. Sometimes I do feel belittled by the minority who can't understand I've only been here 3 weeks.

Greggs is supposed to be a part time job yet I feel like it's consuming my life. I need the money and I want to hang on for a least a year because my longest job before this was only 7 months. But I feel hopeless with the attention deficit effecting my work. Im good at serving and making drinks and cooking things but wider shop upkeep still baffles me.

I'm also having you work Christmas and we're not allowed any time off in December which means I'll be alone all Christmas which is just fueling the misery.

I'm thinking about looking for a new job but hate the interview and settling in process. Besides, one of the guys I work with said since he started 3 months ago, four people have quit and i think it'll feel like a failure if I walk away.
Ok, there's a lot going on here, so let's try and break it down.

First of all: do you really want to continue with this job or not? If you are confused, sit down and write a list of pros and cons. Be realistic though.
Most retail jobs will require you to work through Christmas, and most jobs require us to do a lot of stuff we don't want to do, with little thanks.

If, after fully considering everything, the answer is "no", then you should not fell like a failure. All our lives we are told nonsense about "never quit". Seth Godin has a great book called "the dip" which explains when you should quit, and when you need to dig in and get through the hump because it will be worth it in the end. Sometimes, quitting a job/situation is the only sensible to do. When there is no hope of winning, when you lose rather than gain by staying, and when the situation is costing you money/impacting on your health or wellbeing/standing in the way of your growth.

Given that there has been a lot of instability in your post, I think you need to go and talk to your supervisor and talk about the support you need from her/him. This is not asking for a favour, this is asking for her/him to do their job. They should be helping you, giving you clear instructions, and giving you whatever training/assistance you need to get the job done. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask for this - but do so in the right way. Don't challenge them. Just say: "I'm doing the best I can here, I completely appreciate there have been a lot of changes of personnel recently, but I really need someone to keep me on track with this. And I'm not sure about this. Also, getting some regular feedback on my performance would really help me improve." This last point is music to most managers' ears. We all want a member of staff willing to learn, and wanting to improve!

My advice would be to have the conversation first, and that can include telling them what you struggle with - and then see if things improve. If they don't, then review the situation. If you then choose to leave you can do so feeling that you tried everything, and it was a failure of support, not a failure on your part that forced your hand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (32)
5.55%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.61%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.44%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.72%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.2%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.57%
Financial worries (37)
6.41%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
3.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.89%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.6%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.15%

Watched Threads