How to get A level qualifications as private student?

Watch
Newuser2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to get my A level qualifications however I do not want to attend college as I work full time. I was considering enrolling onto the Oxford learning college distant learning A level courses however now I think being a private student may be a better choice since I'll be saving a lot more money this way.

I now have a few questions which may be a bit silly..

As a private student, how do I know which module to study for? I want to take A level maths, economics and chemistry.
Which exam board should I choose?
Which exam can I sit? For example for edexcel A level mathematics there are different exam papers: 6663 01 Mathematics: Core Mathematics C1
6679 01 Mathematics: Mechanics M3
68MA0 01 Mathematics Paper 1: Pure Mathematics etc.

Same with economics : 8EB0 01 Economics B Paper 1: Markets, consumers and firms, 8EC0 01Economics A Paper 1: Introduction to markets and market failure etc. and I'm sure it's the same with chemistry too.

So how do I know which one to study for?

I would appreciate if someone could clarify how to get my A level qualifications as a private student?

Also do you think it's better to be a private student and study for the exams with tutor or with a distant learning provider (Oxford learning only provides online tutor that communicates via email only, study materials which I obviously need to pay for and that's it. I find my own test centres etc.)
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pretty sure you will struggle without a teacher for these subjects so it’s best to get a tutor. It’s prob best if you do AQA as they are the most popular and so there’s much more resources for them.
Newuser2
Rep:
?
Also, might be a silly question.. if I go with edexcel for A level maths, do I also need to take edexcel for A level economics and chemistry? and do any of the A level courses require coursework?
Newuser2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Afterlife?)
Pretty sure you will struggle without a teacher for these subjects so it’s best to get a tutor. It’s prob best if you do AQA as they are the most popular and so there’s much more resources for them.
Yea I'm definitely going to get a tutor to help me study. Is AQA easier than the other exam boards?
Afterlife?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Newuser2)
Yea I'm definitely going to get a tutor to help me study. Is AQA easier than the other exam boards?
All exam boards are gonna be pretty similar because they are regulated by the same board and required to have same content but AQA is the most popular so it will be easier to find a good tutor in it I guess which makes it easier idk
Clevercloggs123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, sorry take it from someone who is doing the exact same thing.

I am studying A-Level Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Latin GCSE privately.

If you do your research into all the discrepancies and marking issues aqa has had in the past few years that should make your decision easier.

I can't recommend OCR more. Especially if you are looking to apply to Oxford like myself. I and friends who are professors in the sciences favour OCR because of the more comprehensive coverage of the subjects.

Also you do not NEED a tutor, if you have discipline and know your learning style and how to get the most out of yourself you can do it alone easily. It is all about planning basically the next two years of your life meticulously.

I wish you all the luck in the world and if you do decide to teach yourself alone be prepared for the shocked faces! But the more of us who do it the more it will be recognised as not only possible but also, as I believe, the best way to learn. Plus the empowerment and confidence you will feel from completing A-Levels off your own back is amazing!

Good luck!
Clevercloggs123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Afterlife?)
All exam boards are gonna be pretty similar because they are regulated by the same board and required to have same content but AQA is the most popular so it will be easier to find a good tutor in it I guess which makes it easier idk
Such terrible advice!

All exam boards are not regulated by the same board at all! They are completely independent.

AQA is the most popular exam board, only because it is rammed down throats by college tutors. Do your research and look into the years of marking and contextual discrepancies AQA has entertained.

Any half respectable tutor will teach their student to any exam board, they should have years of experience doing so and have most likely taught a multitude of editions of said subject within whichever exam boards realms. You do not find a tutor that solely teaches one exam board, if such a mythical creature exists I would not put any confidence in them as a tutor and more importantly the mentor of your education.

I honestly don't know why you've offered advice when clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.
Afterlife?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Clevercloggs123)
Such terrible advice!

All exam boards are not regulated by the same board at all! They are completely independent.

AQA is the most popular exam board, only because it is rammed down throats by college tutors. Do your research and look into the years of marking and contextual discrepancies AQA has entertained.

Any half respectable tutor will teach their student to any exam board, they should have years of experience doing so and have most likely taught a multitude of editions of said subject within whichever exam boards realms. You do not find a tutor that solely teaches one exam board, if such a mythical creature exists I would not put any confidence in them as a tutor and more importantly the mentor of your education.

I honestly don't know why you've offered advice when clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.
Well most boards are regulated by the government for example in England we have ofqual and ofc exam boards differ but it’s standardised like one might be harder but then grade boundaries might be lower. Pretty sure most unis only care about ur grade and don’t take into account what’s ur board.
Pretty sure ur average teacher or tutor has an exam board they have taught the most and have the most experience with so with that one they can give you the most guidance. And as AQA is the most popular then you will find a good tutor easier cuz it’s like a sports teacher innit they have a sport that’s their specialty and so they lead that sport like rugby guy teaches rugby but obv they know how to play and teach other sports it’s just they are better at one single one
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Clevercloggs123)

Consider being a little more informed before you are so dismissive of someone else's post.

All the exam boards in England have to comply with Ofqual's regulations and standards which makes them very similar in terms of difficulty.

AQA is not the most popular exam board for many subjects - in 2017, it was less popular than OCR for Chemistry, less popular than Pearson for Economics and less popular than both for Maths (Pearson had about 3 times as many candidates). https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-series-report

I would try to stick to the exam board the tutor preferred. Whilst all A levels for a subject are of similar difficulty, nailing top marks depends on an understanding of the expectations of the board you are taking.
Last edited by Compost; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
30.16%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.7%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
20.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (3)
4.76%
No - I live at home during term anyway (20)
31.75%

Watched Threads