The Student Room Group

Help me I’m going insane in hospital

I’ve been in hospital for 11 months now and it’s looking like I’m going to be here until around mid 2019. I miss my family, friends and freedom so much. I try my best to keep my mind occupied and stay positive and strong but sometimes it’s just too hard. How can I stay sane?

Here’s an article about it doesn’t cover half of what’s happened though - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/woman-left-unable-speak-swallow-15069272#ICID=FB-Liv-main
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SophiaMxx
I’ve been in hospital for 11 months now and it’s looking like I’m going to be here until around mid 2019. I miss my family, friends and freedom so much. I try my best to keep my mind occupied and stay positive and strong but sometimes it’s just too hard. How can I stay sane?

Why are you in hospital
Reply 2
I had an acute inflammatory episode on my brain and the lesion was right on my brainstem
Reply 3
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Why are you in hospital

I had an acute inflammatory episode on my brain and the lesion was right on my brainstem. I’m so lucky to be alive today

Are you in isolation then.

Yes you are lucky to be alive. You have to do something positive then. Have you kept a diary. I would do one with thoughts etc. There are many people in hospital who would benefit from musings and observations.
I had an acute inflammatory episode on my brain and the lesion was right on my brainstem. I’m so lucky to be alive today

How old are you
Reply 6
Original post by squeakysquirrel
How old are you

I’m 22, I’ll be 23 in February
Reply 7
Start helping out. Have they given you the orange pyjamas yet?
I’m 22, I’ll be 23 in February

So then old enough to write sensibly and with a wry eye.

Sometimes life can be a bit s"=t. I feel for you. However you have a potential end date.

My friend was laid up with bacterial meningitis for months. Didn't think she was going to pull through. She started learning another language - corresponding online with people. They learned English from her and she learned Spanish. It was a great way to retrain her brain and she learned a new language.

You should take this time to do something constructive. We live in the internet age where you have access to things like online courses etc.

Big hug over the internet. What are we both doing awake at this time of morning eh. Chin up chicken
Reply 9

Here’s an article about it doesn’t cover half of what’s happened though - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/woman-left-unable-speak-swallow-15069272#ICID=FB-Liv-main

So sorry to hear that. You're in the right place and getting the care you need, but it must suck being there all the same.

I'm afraid there's not a whole lot I can do or say that will change things, but I'll go ahead and list things I can think of that might help you be a bit less bored.
Visits- that's an obvious one I'm sure, but remember there's things like skype too which you can use when people aren't able to actually visit you.
Do whatever outings/ walks around the grounds etc you can- that's going to depend on your situation and it's no substitute for real freedom, but a change of scenery even little can help freshen up your brain a bit.
Talk to people- nurses, patients, cleaners etc. Have a bit of a chat with whoever is around you. It will probably brighten their day too.
Support groups- there's probably;y support groups on fb and such for people in your situation or with your sort of condition. It can be really comforting to talk to people who can understand your situation a bit better and they might also be able to give you some tips.

Movies, games, TV, books etc etc- self explanatory. There are games online like pictionary that you can play with other people and if you have any sort of console they include multiplayer games and games with long run times and something to work towards. Open world games can be quite good for a bit of an escape.
Youtube- pretty much the same as the last one, but there are also loads of youtubers who talk about their lives and that includes people with chronic illnesses and who are stuck in hospital a lo. It might give you something to relate to.
Get creative- draw, sing, write, craft. Find something creative to get your brain working and keep you occupied. It could also help show a bit of purpose in each day.
Learn- find an online course, get a language app etc.
Get active- again it depends on your situation, but if you are able to do something like walking, swimming, yoga etc that can help pass the time and generally improve health and mental well being.
Decorate- make your room/ space as personal as possible. You may have done that already, but decorating can be a good time user and can help you feel a bit more comfortable where you are.
Volunteer- there's actually quite a few opportunities for volunteering online/ from a distance. TSR is just one example
Work/ "work"- a bit like volunteering there are some opportunities to work online. A lot of that basically comes from putting a hobby out there like on shirt printing sites, youtube, blogs etc. It's not likely to pay a lot at all (or anything), but puttign your mind to something and getting it out there in the world can help you feel a bit less trapped even if your body stays in the same place the whole time.

I hope that helps a little. Best wishes for staying positive and your recovery/ health. :smile:

Quick Reply