Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

About exit opportunities of Big Four Watch

ReputationRep:
    A few of you have mentioned that people stomach boring work until they qualify so that there will be good exit opportunities then. I suppose even if there are such exit opportunities, won't they again be accounting-related? In other words, if people hate accounting/tax in the first few years, what are the chances that they will stop hating them even if they leave big 4 and work in private companies doing the same thing again?? Thx

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere in this forum that they get good exit opportunities for managerial roles

ReputationRep:
    what excately is "exit opportunites" mean?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Exit opportunities = Other jobs you can do after you have qualified as an accountant e.g. working as a financial officer in a company etc.

People generally just do the training contract to get the qualification paid for by the firm (and get the 3 years work experience), then leave for potentially more lucrative careers in industry.

ReputationRep:
    yes essentially it will be within the same field of work but with 2 MAJOR differences

(1) most likely you'll be in a managerial role

(2 and perhaps most important for some) you pay increases substantially in some cases, but increases none the less - which for some can make audit work abit more tolerable lol

essentially you get a paid-for qualification and 3 years work experience which is never bad - although the pay is liveable its by no means anything special

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answers. I'll be on a 4-year secondment to the Deloitte London office (Corporate Tax)starting from 2009. The training contract for ACA is 4 years. I suppose I won't afford to give up tax for my whole life after all these years of tolerance lol. Is it common for people to take general managerial positions with their ACA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Robotnik)
    Exit opportunities = Other jobs you can do after you have qualified as an accountant e.g. working as a financial officer in a company etc.

People generally just do the training contract to get the qualification paid for by the firm (and get the 3 years work experience), then leave for potentially more lucrative careers in industry.
    cheers
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Robotnik)

I wouldn't day people generally follow that route, though it's certainly not uncommon to move on upon qualification.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.