The Student Room Group

Studying through distant learning or privately?

I want to know if it's better to study 3 A levels (maths, chemistry and economics) privately meaning self study and take the exam at a centre or through distant learning?

I had planned to enrol with Oxford learning college for the distant A level courses however I'll be paying a lot of money, paying extra for study materials, only can communicate with tutor via email (I think the tutors aren't available on the weekends either) and I'll need to find and pay a lot extra for the exam centre + practical tests.

So now I want to know if it's worth spending a lot more on distant learning or becoming a private / independent student, self study with a tutor and take my exams?

I think it's worth mentioning that I work full time which is why I wanted to do distant / private learning.
Your situation was same as mine two years ago. My initial subject choice was the same as well. I did the CIE and i can only speak from my own experience.
Firstly, i think you should check with your exam board whether you can take Chemistry as a private candidate. Back then when i registered for my exam at British Council, they refused to operate the chemistry exam because it involves lab section. At the result, i had to change my subject to Accounting 4 month before the exam which i strongly advise you avoid.
Secondly, a level is really intense. I had a full time job when i first took the exam, and i got BBC which was really bad but it is a true reflection of the efforts and time the i invested in. Then i decided to quit my job, spent a year just for revising, and i got A*AA the second time. So i think you should estimate your own ability and clarify your goal first. If you are a bright student or you just aim for BBB or ABB then i think it’s totally possible to do a level while having a job.
Other than that, i think it would be the right decision to study privately. You can push the speed up or slow down according to your own capacity which make the studies more effective.

Quick Reply

Latest