Asia Bibi refused asylum in the UK Watch

generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
If this report is true, and I haven’t seen a statement from a government minister, it seems to emenate from an anonymous press briefing (unless someone knows better?) it is a complete outrage.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...mpression=true
MartinF98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
We take in hundreds of Muslims but not her even though she was being persecuted by Muslims for her faith

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...nrest-attacks/

Apparently there will be “unrest” and “attacks” , I wonder which community that unrest will be from...
Last edited by MartinF98; 3 months ago
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by generallee)
If this report is true, and I haven’t seen a statement from a government minister, it seems to emenate from an anonymous press briefing (unless someone knows better?) it is a complete outrage.

Of course it’s a complete outrage
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DetectivePeralta
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As a Christian I think this is quite sad. Many Christians face persecution in Islamic countries and we should be doing more to pressure countries like Pakistan to be tolerant of their beliefs, as well as helping out when we can.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
So she was beaten up, sentenced to death and Pakistanis are calling for her head...all because she drank water from a container used by a Christian.

I have no words left, really. Thor save us from the toxic and surreal religion of Islam...
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
So she was beaten up, sentenced to death and Pakistanis are calling for her head...all because she drank water from a container used by a Christian.

I have no words left, really. Thor save us from the toxic and surreal religion of Islam...
Don’t forget our own stupid political parties
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This happen all the time South Asia Pakistan/India Christians are murder rape abuse by wonderful Muslims/Hindus. Why is this even news worthy? They treat anyone who not a upper class male like dogs.

The Indian government is led by the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). They believe that being a Hindu is part of Indian identity, and frequently turn a blind eye to attacks on those of other faiths.
Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) is a militant Hindu nationalist group linked with the BJP; they have stated that they want to see India free of Christians and Muslims by the end of 2021.
When the government of India is allowing violent attacks to take place against Christians, and an extremist group linked with the leading political party is actively trying to wipe out the church, it isn’t surprising that Christians in India are facing horrific levels of persecution. Open Doors church partners estimate that almost 24,000 Christians were physically attacked last year because of their faith.
Hindu extremists are stepping up their efforts to free India of Christians – so we must step up our response. Open Doors has been working through local churches and partners in India since 2000, and the work they do is already extensive, but they have a plan to double their impact and extend their reach to every corner of India over the next two years. Your prayers and long-term support can help to make that plan a reality
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by generallee)

Why is it an outrage? There are plenty of safe countries between the UK and Pakistan she can apply for asylum with!
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I was under the impression she’d been offered asylum by France and Spain.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Why is it an outrage? There are plenty of safe countries between the UK and Pakistan she can apply for asylum with!
What has that got to do with anything? She's not walking here, you know.

And Pakistan is a Commonwealth country with close ties to the UK. There's even a good possibility that he speaks some English. She may even have a connection with people already here. Why wouldn't the UK offer her asylum as she is clearly under threat of persecution?
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by QE2)
What has that got to do with anything? She's not walking here, you know.

And Pakistan is a Commonwealth country with close ties to the UK. There's even a good possibility that he speaks some English. She may even have a connection with people already here. Why wouldn't the UK offer her asylum as she is clearly under threat of persecution?
...I was taking the piss.

A very common anti-refugee notion is that there are plenty of safe countries between the UK and the Middle East/Asia hence asylum seekers shouldn't try to claim asylum in the UK/Europe. I have no doubt that OP supports this viewpoint. Perhaps I am wrong though.

Of course there are many good reasons for the UK to accept Asia as a refugee, as you've mentioned.
Last edited by SHallowvale; 3 months ago
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

A very common anti-refugee notion is that there are plenty of safe countries between the UK and the Middle East/Asia hence asylum seekers shouldn't try to claim asylum in the UK/Europe. I have no doubt that OP supports this viewpoint. Perhaps I am wrong though.

Of course there are many good reasons for the UK to accept Asia as a refugee, as you've mentioned.
Poe's Law again. Doh!
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

QE2 already pointed out the issue, those people you refered to have crossed many safe countries including the one they are in on arriving at Calais.

This woman is doing it propperly if she wants asylum here from the country she clearly needs to leave.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by paul514)
QE2 already pointed out the issue, those people you refered to have crossed many safe countries including the one they are in on arriving at Calais.

This woman is doing it propperly if she wants asylum here from the country she clearly needs to leave.
This doesn't really change the point that I made. The fact is she's applied for asylum in a country very far away from Pakistan when there are countries closer which are safe for her.

Are you trying to tell me that if Syrians applied for asylum from inside Syria then people wouldn't have said they should apply to countries closer? Don't make me laugh! They'd call them an economic migrant, benefit seeker, etc, regardless.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I read on the News that Canada are considering offering her asylum.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This doesn't really change the point that I made. The fact is she's applied for asylum in a country very far away from Pakistan when there are countries closer which are safe for her.

Are you trying to tell me that if Syrians applied for asylum from inside Syria then people wouldn't have said they should apply to countries closer? Don't make me laugh! They'd call them an economic migrant, benefit seeker, etc, regardless.
That was the point being made.

People don’t care about people trying to seek asylum here they care if they just turn up and demand it.

People will only care about people claiming asylum properly if too many are accepted, what is too many is subjective.
Surnia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)

Asia Bibi is a Christian. She was working on a farm and, whilst fetching water for people, drank from a container. Her female Muslim co-workers objected to sharing the container because a Christian is lower caste. The same women later accused Bibi of blasphemy.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by paul514)
That was the point being made.

People don’t care about people trying to seek asylum here they care if they just turn up and demand it.

People will only care about people claiming asylum properly if too many are accepted, what is too many is subjective.
People wouldn't want to give refugees asylum even if they applied elsewhere for the reasons I've given.
Last edited by SHallowvale; 3 months ago
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
The Telegraph link was much more instructive.

The UK has not offered automatic Asylum. I cant see her being refused if she applied, but she would go through normal channels.

Its a shame the government did not offer it automatically as her case was absolutely deserving and we should have taken her imo.

I bet she goes somewhere like Canada or Australia as she has multiple offers.

Pakistan has been a disgrace in the way they have treated her and shown just what a backward country it is.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
The Telegraph link was much more instructive.

The UK has not offered automatic Asylum. I cant see her being refused if she applied, but she would go through normal channels.

Its a shame the government did not offer it automatically as her case was absolutely deserving and we should have taken her imo.

I bet she goes somewhere like Canada or Australia as she has multiple offers.

Pakistan has been a disgrace in the way they have treated her and shown just what a backward country it is.
The link suggests, and it seems plausible, that the UK authorities are concerned about granting her asylum because of the potential of a violent reaction from elements of the Pakistani diaspora.

Maybe it is just me, and the author of the piece, but if true I find that both depressing and shameful that we dare not make a stand and do the right thing by her, and her family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (56)
8.18%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.48%
No, but I want to start (257)
37.52%
No, I am unable to (162)
23.65%
No, I chose not to (193)
28.18%