The Student Room Group

Why do girls play the **** games?

Ok I'm a girl and every female gamer I meet just plays stuff like hearthstone and a load of random fantasy games or survival games no one really talks about. Which is fine, but where TF are my multiplayer/fps console girls at?!

Scroll to see replies

Can't judges it for female gamer community. I just can understand the reasons by reflecting my personal affections on another gamers. I appreciate fantasy games because of the creativity and the fantastic, sometimes dream-like worlds in which the characters are to play and control. In terms of survival games, it is the try and error principle (Heart of Darkness for instance!) what make those genres so interesting in my view: achieve a checkpoint to save your success by the next failure, try again the next stage or level in the game you failed to become a step closer to the end of the game. Looks like that this high requirement of skills in survival games is strongly marked at female gamers.

Those are just my explanations as a male gamer, it has not to be correct.
Lol? I know girls who play the exact same games as all of my guy friends and me.

Probably need to widen your social circle.
Upbringing is still dominated by old fashioned ideology
Because FPS's are garbage :yy:
Reply 5
iM aLrEaDy WiNsToN
Original post by random_matt
Upbringing is still dominated by old fashioned ideology

back up the skeng
Fantasy games are the best though!
I play Hearthstone and I don't agree that it's a rubbish game - I enjoy it. What does it actually matter to you what other people play? I play a few games and so does my partner, and Hearthstone is the only one we both play. I think his games are rubbish and he thinks mine are, but so what? It doesn't affect our lives what the other is playing. Just play what you enjoy and if it's a multi-player game there are enough people to play with online, so why worry?
We get enough crap from male gamers without getting criticised by other women as well!

I play a variety: strategy, shooters, MMORPGS, MOBAs, simulation, fighting, racing, etc. Console primarily but PC for certain titles.
Hearthstone & Blizzard is only for the enlightened, sorry
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I play Hearthstone and I don't agree that it's a rubbish game - I enjoy it. What does it actually matter to you what other people play? I play a few games and so does my partner, and Hearthstone is the only one we both play. I think his games are rubbish and he thinks mine are, but so what? It doesn't affect our lives what the other is playing. Just play what you enjoy and if it's a multi-player game there are enough people to play with online, so why worry?

Hearthstone is a pretty poor cardgame as things go, all the other "main" competitors generally have far better formats, better balance, more competitiveness, higher skill levels etc.

What Hearthstone really is, is an extremely smooth online system compared to virtual any other online card game out there. It really is an incredibly mediocre card game, which the physical Chinese version showed.

The main reason of it's popularity is simply due to the fact it's a Blizzard product. Blizzard are basically the Apple of the Video Game Developer world, overhyped products that often are mediocre or reduce features compared to their competitors or even older products they released themselves.

The secondary reason is lack of online competition. MTG does not have a stable and easy to use online game, MTG Online being totally user unfriendly, and MTG Arena having tons of economy issues and still in open beta.

Pokemon Online is pretty good but really requires you to buy physical cards. The Main reason being A) In each booster you get a code that gives you a random booster of the same set online and B) Those codes are used via the online economy as currency by users, however the going rate for any card requires you to do some research online. That said physical tins are great because they give a whole semi-competitive decks worth of cards. Anyway point being, the purely online component is a pretty expensive online economy and if you want to trade to get your hands on specific cards, you need to buy physical boosters.

Yu-gi-oh... well "despite" it's popularity, both the online and physical game is are both train wrecks, it's always been the 'hipster' game.

Original post by sinfonietta
We get enough crap from male gamers without getting criticised by other women as well!

I play a variety: strategy, shooters, MMORPGS, MOBAs, simulation, fighting, racing, etc. Console primarily but PC for certain titles.

Women do have different gaming habit to men, more RPG's and Jump in and out games, play fewer shooters, almost none existent in strategy game demographics, especially when it comes to military strategy.

That said, why should anyone care what games other people play?I personally have a bit of an academic interest, but I agree with your sentiments exactly! Unless those games actively hurt the gaming community as a whole, such as mobile games, immoral marketing/economy practices etc, why should anyone care what other people play?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12

Not saying it’s a bad thing, I think I worded it wrong. I just meant that it’s rare to find females who enjoy FPS as it seems most prefer MOBAs etc. I just meant it would be nice to find more girls w the same interests
Reply 13
Original post by sinfonietta

Again, I probably could’ve worded this better, wasn’t a criticism. It’s just I noticed more girls play MOBAs and fantasy style games rather than console fps games, so it’s hard to find girls w the same interests as me
Reply 14
Original post by Lilligant22
Hearthstone & Blizzard is only for the enlightened, sorry

Overwatch is great, not denying that
Reply 15
Original post by DanB1991
Hearthstone is a pretty poor cardgame as things go, all the other "main" competitors generally have far better formats, better balance, more competitiveness, higher skill levels etc.

What Hearthstone really is, is an extremely smooth online system compared to virtual any other online card game out there. It really is an incredibly mediocre card game, which the physical Chinese version showed.

The main reason of it's popularity is simply due to the fact it's a Blizzard product. Blizzard are basically the Apple of the Video Game Developer world, overhyped products that often are mediocre or reduce features compared to their competitors or even older products they released themselves.

The secondary reason is lack of online competition. MTG does not have a stable and easy to use online game, MTG Online being totally user unfriendly, and MTG Arena having tons of economy issues and still in open beta.

Pokemon Online is pretty good but really requires you to buy physical cards. The Main reason being A) In each booster you get a code that gives you a random booster of the same set online and B) Those codes are used via the online economy as currency by users, however the going rate for any card requires you to do some research online. That said physical tins are great because they give a whole semi-competitive decks worth of cards. Anyway point being, the purely online component is a pretty expensive online economy and if you want to trade to get your hands on specific cards, you need to buy physical boosters.

Yu-gi-oh... well "despite" it's popularity, both the online and physical game is are both train wrecks, it's always been the 'hipster' game.

Women do have different gaming habit to men, more RPG's and Jump in and out games, play fewer shooters, almost none existent in strategy game demographics, especially when it comes to military strategy.

That said, why should anyone care what games other people play?I personally have a bit of an academic interest, but I agree with your sentiments exactly! Unless those games actively hurt the gaming community as a whole, such as mobile games, immoral marketing/economy practices etc, why should anyone care what other people play?

It’s less me caring about what others play and more me finding it hard to find girls w the same interests when it comes to games. And I was just raising the point that I’ve found that the majority of girls stick to MOBAs and RPGs and I was wondering why
Original post by DanB1991

Okay, so you don't like Hearthstone, but as I said above, why does that matter? I enjoy playing it, so I will play it. I'm not doing you, OP, or anyone else any harm by playing it, so why you had to write a rant about it I don't know. I don't care what other people think about the games I play - it's my game play and I'll play what I enjoy.
Original post by Xmimix
Ok I'm a girl and every female gamer I meet just plays stuff like hearthstone and a load of random fantasy games or survival games no one really talks about. Which is fine, but where TF are my multiplayer/fps console girls at?!

So "crap games" really just means "games that I'm not personally interested in", gotcha.
Okay, so you don't like Hearthstone, but as I said above, why does that matter? I enjoy playing it, so I will play it. I'm not doing you, OP, or anyone else any harm by playing it, so why you had to write a rant about it I don't know. I don't care what other people think about the games I play - it's my game play and I'll play what I enjoy.

Tbh, as per my response to sinfonietta I don't really care what games you play.

However Hearthstone drags online card games down as a whole due to a poor format and people buy + being popular due to it simply being a blizzard game. It sets low expectations and damages online card games as a whole, how many low quality online card games have we seen since hearthstone being released? a hell ton!

Sorry I realise it's a rant, but your statement was about you disagreeing not being a poor (rubbish game), intrinsically, by measuring it against comparable online card games.... it is quite poor.

Original post by Xmimix
It’s less me caring about what others play and more me finding it hard to find girls w the same interests when it comes to games. And I was just raising the point that I’ve found that the majority of girls stick to MOBAs and RPGs and I was wondering why

Trends 'suggest' women prefer games with social and role playing aspects, thus RPG's crop up often. They also suggest they prefer games that have larger pick up and play value, despite spending similar times with men on single gaming sessions. Thus things like Rocket League, LOL, Overwatch, etc that rely on individual skill, rather than games that don't require grinding appeal to them more. Note quality of such games do tend to be rather bad and Women tend not to play more realistic games and strategy games due to the investment in time required to see results. MMO's do tend to be an exception to the grinding rule.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Fantasy games are the best though!

Yup, it is true. Have not so many of them, but the ones I have are so unique in gameplay and in terms of storytelling and continuity. That aspect is the big point of this genre.

Quick Reply

Latest