Barrister/Solicitor with criminal record? Watch

louisag92
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey Student Roomers!

This subject has probably been done to death but everyone is different and I have seen that details are important in this subject.

Hey Student Roomers! This subject has probably been done to death but everyone is different and I have seen that details are important in this subject.

I'm 26 now and from 5+ years ago I have a few convictions that go up to 9 years ago now. They were quite out of character but anyway I have them. So I have 3 shoplifting convictions and 1 caution for the same thing. I was a bit of a sheep when I was younger and after being kicked out of my home by my dad at 16 I ended up in a hostel for 16 to 25 year olds. As you can imagine I was around really scary people (to me at the time anyway) and was kind of bullied in to the shoplifting. I was fresh out of boarding school and **** scared of these people! They'd rob my food and steal my money etc. It got so bad I was put on child protection plan with social services until I was 18.

At 17 I used someone else's ID to get in to a nightclub. This resulted in a conviction of handling stolen goods (my friend found the ID and gave it to me to use). It didn't get to court until after my 18th birthday and I was convicted as an adult, although they gave consideration to my age at the time and my previous good character (first conviction). I got a conditional discharge.

I also lost a train ticket once, never received anything from rail people and poof conviction with a fine. Which I didn't know about for over year!

Finally a conviction for drunk and disorderly..... (Although I didn't know the case went to court, I just got the fine through the letterbox).

My life has changed drastically since. I'm hard worker who now has the half decent life I've always wanted.

Sorry for the long post. Wanted to give a decent amount of detail. I haven't started a law degree yet but I wanted to ask before I bother applying. Will all the above bar me from the profession. I've always wanted to do it but my life went wayward and I wouldn't have a stood chance. Now it's better I would like to give it a go.
louisag92
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
It is likely that you wouldn’t be able to practice. The issue here is that there are a lot of different offences here, and none are necessarily connected to the others and that show various characteristics that would work against you.

Ultimately it’s going to come down to proof of rehabilitation and probably some excellent references to even give you half a chance. It’s not impossible - I have seen someone with a rap sheet as extensive (although it didn’t have theft) manage to get approval from the SRA. It’s just going to be very difficult and even then a good chance of being unlikely.
Thank you - I'm gutted, it seems by crappy life when I was younger is going to affect me forevermore and I'll never get a decent job #minimumwageforlife
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by louisag92)
Hey Student Roomers!

This subject has probably been done to death but everyone is different and I have seen that details are important in this subject.

Hey Student Roomers! This subject has probably been done to death but everyone is different and I have seen that details are important in this subject.

I'm 26 now and from 5+ years ago I have a few convictions that go up to 9 years ago now. They were quite out of character but anyway I have them. So I have 3 shoplifting convictions and 1 caution for the same thing. I was a bit of a sheep when I was younger and after being kicked out of my home by my dad at 16 I ended up in a hostel for 16 to 25 year olds. As you can imagine I was around really scary people (to me at the time anyway) and was kind of bullied in to the shoplifting. I was fresh out of boarding school and **** scared of these people! They'd rob my food and steal my money etc. It got so bad I was put on child protection plan with social services until I was 18.

At 17 I used someone else's ID to get in to a nightclub. This resulted in a conviction of handling stolen goods (my friend found the ID and gave it to me to use). It didn't get to court until after my 18th birthday and I was convicted as an adult, although they gave consideration to my age at the time and my previous good character (first conviction). I got a conditional discharge.

I also lost a train ticket once, never received anything from rail people and poof conviction with a fine. Which I didn't know about for over year!

Finally a conviction for drunk and disorderly..... (Although I didn't know the case went to court, I just got the fine through the letterbox).

My life has changed drastically since. I'm hard worker who now has the half decent life I've always wanted.

Sorry for the long post. Wanted to give a decent amount of detail. I haven't started a law degree yet but I wanted to ask before I bother applying. Will all the above bar me from the profession. I've always wanted to do it but my life went wayward and I wouldn't have a stood chance. Now it's better I would like to give it a go.
As is the case 99.9% of the time, J-SP is right here. There are just too many offences in different categories - the handling stolen goods is particularly problematic. The chances of the SRA being happy with this are very slim. In the end, it's a character thing and despite these offences happening when you were younger and you have now 'turned a corner', they're still going to call into question your suitability. Sorry I can't be more positive about this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads