Revision Watch

runningwithfoxes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello does anyone any good advice on revising poetry ( Conflict, Romeo and Juliet)
I am determined to get a grade 6, so that I can stay and do A-level English Lit and Lang, at the minute I am currently working at a grade 5/4 and I would really appreciate some advice. I have GCSE mocks coming up, any advice/tips?
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
poetry can be organised into themes and which ones link best with which
pick a few quotes from each poem and learn them, learn how to analyse them. learn key points for context, structure etc also.
do some essay plans so you can get used to comparing the poems and be able to make links beforehand.
sparknotes do shakespeare translations to modern english; you can probably find quotes on quizlet for r+j; go over key themes, characters and context and annotate some scenes in your play (if you're aqa it might help you practice extract analysis). then do plenty of exam practice particularly on the harder themes so you're prepared or them and it forces you to think.
Jenscao
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey !

English lit can be a very fun GCSE once you get the hang of what to do. First of all, you need to consider what kind of learner are you? For example, a visual learner would be to identify structure and quotes and picture what they look like in their head when applying their knowledge in exams. Perhaps you might enjoy listening to revision videos, which would make you an auditory learner (like me). When cramming for the exam the night before, I listened to YouTubers analyse and breakdown poems. One tip I would advise on is: if you cannot learnt all the poems, don’t. There are a lot of poems to study and it is wise to listen to what is predicted to come up in the exam this year, but that’s if you’re willing to risk it. If you’re looking to snatch those higher grades, you need to provide a thorough analysis in the exam. I don’t believe memorising these kinds of points will help you too much in the exam. I recommend having a go at analysing any poems from the themes (war, love, nature etc) and see if you can analyse it on your own and take that point as far as you can. If you need more advice, I’d love to help I achieved a grade 9 in my Lang in year 10 and lit this year. PS: Please don’t take what you achieve on this mock to heart. Mocks are never a true reflection of what you can achieve. I received a 6 in my mock and was predicted a 5 all year.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Jenscao; 4 months ago
runningwithfoxes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thank you so much, I will take a look at SparkNotes and Quizlet
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (17)
14.41%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (8)
6.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (24)
20.34%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (19)
16.1%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (14)
11.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (36)
30.51%

Watched Threads