Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I applied for the R.E PGCE at UEL and was offered an interview today which I have accepted. Although I feel anxious about the interview process, particularly the group interview and the lesson plan. Any past experiences would be really helpful!!!Thank you!!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    In the group interview you're usually given a discussion prompt to discuss. Most people applying for PGCEs do have decent communication skills, so don't worry too much about the group discussion. Get involved, obviously and try to show you are listening and responding to others points as well as making your own.

Re the lesson plan, can you give more detail as this isn't a standard part of a PGCE interview.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice!!! I am really nervous but also looking forward to it as I have never done an interview like it before!! So it says in the email to come prepared with a lesson plan for year 7 class, it must last for an hour and on a topic relevant to my subject (R.E)
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ljmoha97)
    Thank you for your advice!!! I am really nervous but also looking forward to it as I have never done an interview like it before!! So it says in the email to come prepared with a lesson plan for year 7 class, it must last for an hour and on a topic relevant to my subject (R.E)
    Have they given you a sample lesson plan form? If not then you can probably find one online which may be helpful.

A good lesson plan will include:
    Learning objectives and outcomes
    Context of the lesson (e.g. where it links to previous knowledge and the medium term plan)
    Subject specific key ideas e.g. key terminology or likely misconceptions or areas where you need increased sensitivity.

My uni one then has timings, teacher activity, learner activity, how it's assessed and differentiation- however, there are lots of different formats.

So e.g. my activities might be:

-Welcome class, starter on board. They work on this for 5 minutes, then we share answers as a class (I'd say how I'd pick pupils to answer e.g. hands up or me picking or random).

-My introduction and give brief details of what I'd cover.

-A pupil activity (I'm science so this may be a practical or it may be a worksheet etc).

-Perhaps more teacher input or class discussion.

-Another activity- perhaps more involved e.g. long answer questions or extended writing or planning an experiment.

-Plenary to summarise learning. If we've done a practical this is usually us drawing conclusions from our results. Otherwise it may be people sharing their ideas/best work.

I hope this helps a bit!

On TES you can sometimes find sample lesson plans for free which may give you a jumping off point.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your help! Definitely going to look back on this when I am beginning to plan, very helpful!!! 😊
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    No worries, glad it helped!

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.