Biomedical sciences or biological sciences for post graduate medicine? Watch

Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I want to study postgraduate medicine I was not predicted high enough to apply for medicine.I am open to doing postgraduate medicine the problem is I am not sure what degree to study for undergraduate.I have thought about doing biological sciences.However I am not sure whether doing biomedical sciences would give me an advantage for postgraduate medicine.Any help much appreciated.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
A good summary of the problems funding Medicine as second degree : https://rmbf.org/medical-students/me...second-degree/
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
A good summary of the problems funding Medicine as second degree : https://rmbf.org/medical-students/me...second-degree/
How is this helpul?I don't care about money.I just want to do something that I love doing.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Then dont do Biomed or Bio Sci.

Work your socks off and go for the best grades you can this year. If you do get high enough grades, take a gap year and apply in Sept 2019. If you don't, then spend 2019 doing retakes and apply for Medicine with the right predictions.

Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school. If you really want to Medicine badly enough, you'll take the time to get the grades you need.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
I want to study postgraduate medicine I was not predicted high enough to apply for medicine.I am open to doing postgraduate medicine the problem is I am not sure what degree to study for undergraduate.I have thought about doing biological sciences.However I am not sure whether doing biomedical sciences would give me an advantage for postgraduate medicine.Any help much appreciated.
To answer your actual question, it doesn't make a difference. Biomedical sciences will not give you an advantage compared with biology.

Also, what you're referring to is graduate entry medicine, not postgraduate medicine. Postgraduate medicine is something entirely separate and different which you can't do unless you're a qualified doctor.
username4333960
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
I did a biological sciences degree and am currently studying medicine. I also know people from the course who completed biomed degrees and personally, based solely on what I've experienced, those with biomed degrees seem to be slightly more prepared when it comes to body systems. Sometimes bioscience degrees focus on weird and wonderful topics, that aren't all that relevant for a medical degree. For example, I studied, at length, parasitic protozoa for almost a year in my fourth year (as part of the curriculum). Granted, I found it interesting, but I would have been better prepared for med had I studied the body systems, whcih was only a very small portion of the degree. I think we had two modules of 'anatomy and physiology' in my second year, and those were bare bones classes. Very little depth. It really depends what you're interested in though and one won't be looked upon more favourably than the other in terms of acceptance. Again, this is all said with very little knowledge on biomed courses. Good luck.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have to slightly disagree with above. A biomed degree will pretty much guarantee you access (based on degree studied alone) to all the GEM programmes. A biology degree can pose more of a difficulty since studying 'biology' doesn't necessarily mean that you will study any biology which is related to medicine. Sheffield GEM doesn't accept biology as a first degree and I'm pretty sure Imperials GEM course will check to make sure the content of your degree had enough chemistry, which may be an issue depending on where you studied and how you tailored your degree. For example, I studied biology and took chemistry modules to second year level. I would have been fine. A lot of my course friends who did pure conservation biology, ecology etc wouldn't have been ok.

But my main suggestion is to definitely try to get in as a school leaver.
carolinaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by username4333960)
I did a biological sciences degree and am currently studying medicine. I also know people from the course who completed biomed degrees and personally, based solely on what I've experienced, those with biomed degrees seem to be slightly more prepared when it comes to body systems. Sometimes bioscience degrees focus on weird and wonderful topics, that aren't all that relevant for a medical degree. For example, I studied, at length, parasitic protozoa for almost a year in my fourth year (as part of the curriculum). Granted, I found it interesting, but I would have been better prepared for med had I studied the body systems, whcih was only a very small portion of the degree. I think we had two modules of 'anatomy and physiology' in my second year, and those were bare bones classes. Very little depth. It really depends what you're interested in though and one won't be looked upon more favourably than the other in terms of acceptance. Again, this is all said with very little knowledge on biomed courses. Good luck.
Hey , quick question how hard was it to transfer from biomed to med? I’m trying to do the same thing
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%